PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Prelude Si Japanese Import - to buy or not to buy?

aaronn71
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi all,
I've searched the forums as best I know how (given I'm a newbie:wave: ) for some advice on buying a 2-owner 1990 Prelude (which was a family owned car, privately imported from Japan) but have had no luck. I am buying the car as a surprise for my Mum and am unsure if I am getting myself into a whole load of trouble.

Pluses:
110 km's - which I believe are genuine
Not souped or blinged-up -all original and no major accidents
$5k asking price (negotiable)
Drives really well
All electrics OK.

Minuses:

No service books, but current owner has done the basics regularly
Could use a major service
Aircon not cold, though compressor operating ok
Needs a total detail
Small 'carpark' dents here and there, but no rust

I am told by Honda that because it is an import, getting parts will be extremely difficult and that diagnostics may not work with Australian service agents - is this true?

I am thinking I should offer in the region of $2-2.5k. What does someone think?

I do hope someone can help, as after reading many a good review on this car, I am now somewhat frightened! Any advice would be most appreicated.

Aaron

04-06-2007, 04:42 PM
does Australia has the car? if it does it is not a problem for servicing and spare parts are not hard too.
what engine does it have?

any pictures of it?

aaronn71
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi there, not suire what you mean by "does Australia have the car?".... would you be so kind as to explain for me? Cheers! Aaron

!JonZap!
04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
have you got a link to this car?
pictures for us to inspect the damage?

parts and everything else are the same as the australian car, except the japanese has a higher compression motor, digital climate control, folding mirrors and some other cool gadgety features.

the only reason you may not be able to get all the parts for servicing is if you buy a carby model, the badging on the rear of the car will have xx if it is carby.

aaronn71
04-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the great advice. I don't have a good link to the car - just a dodgy one I am afraid. It has a small dent in one of the headlight covers, and another on/behind the rubbing strip on the driver's door - nothing major and no paint penetration/rust. The car isn't a carby model - so thanks for the reassurance! Where would I find something on the web that gives me a run-down on the full spec of the car?

Cheers!

Aaron

Drew
04-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Its a B20A from memory

Most of the parts will be the same and really its a 17 year old car so you're going to have problems for sure but its only like $2000 anyway so yeah

For that price you shouldn't be fussy

What state

Petronas
04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
omg, I bought a 91 Aus spec Si4WS (145,000km) about 3 months ago knowing i'd have alot of problems with it... But god damn they don't stop, one after the bloody other... My $1650 89 Civic had less problems, actually it had non...

When you own a 3rd gen, be prepared to spend buddy...

I still love the old girl though...

Drew
04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I remember my BA4/5... Didn't go a single week without having to fix it lol

!JonZap!
05-06-2007, 01:05 AM
i own a Si-TCV and it has no problems, the car is like new inside and mechanically

armo90
05-06-2007, 11:28 AM
When you own a 3rd gen, be prepared to spend buddy...

Pretty general statement, you need to know what your looking at. I've had 4 3rd gens and no trouble at all with three of them (the 4th i did but it'd had a engine conversion). having 110,000 you need to know if it had the major service at 100,000. This involves changing the timing belt, If that hasn't been done and it snaps your in real trouble. If you dont have proof its been done, a mechanic may be able to tell you. If not allow for the major service in your purchase price.

aaronn71
05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
i own a Si-TCV and it has no problems, the car is like new inside and mechanically

The car is an Si-TCV actually. What should I specifically be on the lookout for? Also, which tyres do you recommend I fit? Cheers!

aaronn71
05-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Pretty general statement, you need to know what your looking at. I've had 4 3rd gens and no trouble at all with three of them (the 4th i did but it'd had a engine conversion). having 110,000 you need to know if it had the major service at 100,000. This involves changing the timing belt, If that hasn't been done and it snaps your in real trouble. If you dont have proof its been done, a mechanic may be able to tell you. If not allow for the major service in your purchase price.

The current owner has just had the belt changed actually, so that's good advice. Anything else I should be on the lookout for? It's an Si TCV. Cheers.

aaronn71
05-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Another question, ans sorry to bug you, but have you had any issues with general servicing of the car, such as mis-matching with diagnostic tools or availability of general parts? The reason I ask is that Honda (service) freaked me a bit by saying because it's a Jap import, parts are extremely difficult to get and that their diagnostic tools may not match the car. is this the case or are they just being panic merchants? It seems to be the case they are, but I am just curious as to your experience. As you know, the car's for my Mum, so the last thing I want is a whole load of problems for her. Cheers again, Aaron

TheFranchise
05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
aaronn, if you have your own local mechanic, or whoever looks after your other cars, take it to him/her and let them have a look over it. They'll be able to tell you if the main components of the car are the same as the AUDM spec and will also give you their opinion on whether or not you should purchase the car. I've done this with both the cars i've purchased and having a professional look over the car gives you futher reassurance.

Honda are always likely to be 'tight' on JDM models, it's a reason for them to try and get more cash outta you. Your local mech. will be able to find out whether his/her dianostic tools match up.

armo90
05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
The fact its an import shouldn't be a problem at all. But do get a mechanic to go over it before you purchase if thats possible. And also keep in mind getting Honda dealers to service or fix your car will cost more. You take your car to a Honda dealer thinking they'll know what their doing, but with a car this old chances are they wont know any more than any other mechanic would.

Eclipsor
05-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Just a warning about my experiences with a private import. I've got a cb Accord. Anything worth mentioning is exactly the same as the thousands of Australian cb's but depending on what dealer you go to they hate dealing with imports.

And unless your local mechanic has lots of experience with honda's I doubt they'll be able to tell you whether parts are the same.

IMO if it's for your mum and you want her to be able to just drop it off at the local dealer for a service no questions asked it's going to be a pain. Even if all the major parts are the same and it shouldn't be an issue they will probably make it one.

phily
07-06-2007, 12:16 AM
parts and service things should all be the same! honda probably dont want liability.

say you need a pulley or an engine mount, they are the same as AUDM model! just dont tell em its an import and theres no problem.

Eclipsor
07-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Yep exactly. It "shouldn't" be a problem. The problems start when you get a dealer that won't do anything without a VIN. Once you tell them a VIN with a bit IMPORT in the middle of it.

If you have a good parts department/dealer that uses their intuition a bit and has plenty of experience instead of relying straight off the database then you might be right. And generally you can get things done anyway. But it can just be a pain and is something to note. That's all. It didn't stop me. :)

Drew
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
parts and service things should all be the same! honda probably dont want liability.

say you need a pulley or an engine mount, they are the same as AUDM model! just dont tell em its an import and theres no problem.

You will find most JDM and AUDM stuff has the same part numbers anyway

They will fax Honda Oz HQ the VIN and whats needed, they fax back an exploded diagram with part numbers
Then the dealer will look to see if the parts are still available and whether they are available in Oz or ex Japan

Not really too much of an issue just a hassle for the dealers sometimes

Vidospace
08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I must say its hard to kill a honda engine. My fiance drove for 20 minutes with no water in the radiator (blown top tank) and the temperature needle on the red zone. Refilled the radiator, fixed the tank, and it was fine! Sold it after another 20000ks.

SlobberGoat
08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
imho, these are the best looking preludes...
I hope to add one of these to my collection one day...

phily
09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
You will find most JDM and AUDM stuff has the same part numbers anyway

They will fax Honda Oz HQ the VIN and whats needed, they fax back an exploded diagram with part numbers
Then the dealer will look to see if the parts are still available and whether they are available in Oz or ex Japan

Not really too much of an issue just a hassle for the dealers sometimes
nowadays its all on computers! ive seen the program they use and how they get part numbers etc. but its the same thing with the exploded diagram.

but yeah as long as the dealer doesnt ask for a vin then you'll be right.
worse comes to worse as someone with an AUDM lude to use theres if its needed

only 1 dealer ive dealt with asks for vin numbers. and thats Tynans sutherland. i wanted a fuel filter and massive hassle to get the VIN cos i didnt drive my car there. never went there again after that. i go to Collins Rockdale for my parts now. its closer too! they know alot more as well so its a win win for me!

Drew
10-06-2007, 10:23 PM
nowadays its all on computers! ive seen the program they use and how they get part numbers etc. but its the same thing with the exploded diagram.

Yeah exactly with a VIN it will show them the exact model and parts... They can just browse though the models and do it that way but more pref. VIN

hondatech
26-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I work for a honda dealer and i know that ordering spares for an imported honda is a nightmare , if you dont have a vin number nobody will want to help you ,

The honda hds diagnostic system will not link with an imported vehicle ,,, but you would hope that a good mechanic wouldnt need the diagnostic tools for that many things anyway .

Unlike nissan honda aus are not on board with the whole import thing. and generally they are not willing to help ,,, as long as the vehicle has the exact same specs as the aus model you should be ok ,,, if it has an odd ball engine i would walk away .

UNLS1
27-07-2007, 03:42 PM
we traded one in yesterday!

panda[cRx]
31-07-2007, 12:35 PM
get audm if you can, it will make life easier if you have any problems

Petronas
05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
imho, these are the best looking preludes...
I hope to add one of these to my collection one day...

Yup... They are... I always get stares when I drive past - Though I think mostly because they're shocked at how ridiculous they think the car looks...

Thats what all my non motoring enthusiast mates think anyway :confused: