PDA

View Full Version : Comptech Icebox!!

J-TODA
05-06-2007, 02:39 AM
WHOOO mates jst got me comptech icebox for the euro...early bday pressie :D haha jst installed ...took almost 3hrs scared to damage front bar =]]

haha fanx to lilwilliam and amusevtec and also another mate for helping with installation :D haha loving it =] response is great =] lovn vtec :D

also DIYs from the forum gave alot of help...b4 we found the instructions LOL!!

response and performance i feel has dramatically increased...bt jst one question...dere is slight sound increases, however was expecting more...is this natural?? or perhaps another modifcation is needed to bring out the sound??

lilwilliam
05-06-2007, 02:41 AM
lol u almost had a heart attack when i ripped out the front out of frustration lol!.

J-TODA
05-06-2007, 02:44 AM
lol u almost had a heart attack when i ripped out the front out of frustration lol!.

yep LOL!!! heart pounded after u broke the first clip by accident LOL!! den every minute after that LOL!! haha pwnage...bt turned out great 3hrs of work =]] gorilla dog to finish it off..thanks man :D

lilwilliam
05-06-2007, 02:47 AM
man that first clip broke cos u was putting pressure on me hahaha!!.

yfin
05-06-2007, 06:18 AM
response and performance i feel has dramatically increased...bt jst one question...dere is slight sound increases, however was expecting more...is this natural?? or perhaps another modifcation is needed to bring out the sound??

It is supposed to be quiet that is one of the best things about the Icebox. If you wanted loud go with something that has a pod on the end of it.

BusterSonic12
05-06-2007, 07:28 AM
It is supposed to be quiet that is one of the best things about the Icebox. If you wanted loud go with something that has a pod on the end of it.

or just get a new set of catback exhaust :p

johnprocter
05-06-2007, 08:28 AM
How much is the comptech icebox? where in sydney can i get one?

BusterSonic12
05-06-2007, 09:23 AM
How much is the comptech icebox? where in sydney can i get one?

just get it off ebay *us* the guy who sells all these comptech gears. can't remember how much mine was, but it's cheap compare to injen, and there was no delay at all too :thumbsup:

BusterSonic12
05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
that's good to hear, i wash my filter once every 5000km (it can last for 10k tho) after the washing, u can always feel a difference. I like it, cos it's not as loud as the injen or k&n but i guess that's just personally taste, but myself i do prefer gain in low rpm than high end rpm since everyday u driving in the mid range anyway. But one thing i do love :p is the sound of VTEC !!!

did u search the DIY section because i made a DIY when i isntalled it, with sound + pics ;) but the pics gone now for some reason :( if anyone thinking of installing it, feel free to pm me if u want some photos with the instruction ^^

WHOOO mates jst got me comptech icebox for the euro...early bday pressie :D haha jst installed ...took almost 3hrs scared to damage front bar =]]

haha fanx to lilwilliam and amusevtec and also another mate for helping with installation :D haha loving it =] response is great =] lovn vtec :D

also DIYs from the forum gave alot of help...b4 we found the instructions LOL!!

type-vtec
05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
pics..pics.pics

ginganggooly
05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
that's good to hear, i wash my filter once every 5000km (it can last for 10k tho) after the washing, u can always feel a difference. I like it, cos it's not as loud as the injen or k&n but i guess that's just personally taste, but myself i do prefer gain in low rpm than high end rpm since everyday u driving in the mid range anyway. But one thing i do love :p is the sound of VTEC !!!

did u search the DIY section because i made a DIY when i isntalled it, with sound + pics ;) but the pics gone now for some reason :( if anyone thinking of installing it, feel free to pm me if u want some photos with the instruction ^^

Is that a k&n filter that you're using?
Reason I ask is that k&n recommend washing the filter every 50-80k km.
I remember reading in the manual that the filter works better after it picks up a little dirt (doesn't really sound logical to me, but anyway...) It'd vary depending on conditions... 5k sounds too often to me, unless you frequent unsealed roads on a daily basis. ;)

IIRC the manual mentioned to clean it when it became clogged (something about the gunk being level with the wire mesh). Highly unlikely that it's as clogged as that after 5k.

_FeRiO_
05-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi, just wondering what cleaner you guys are using with your comptech filter??

J-TODA
05-06-2007, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=BusterSonic12;1200311 but myself i do prefer gain in low rpm than high end rpm since everyday u driving in the mid range anyway. But one thing i do love :p is the sound of VTEC !!!

did u search the DIY section because i made a DIY when i isntalled it, with sound + pics ;) but the pics gone now for some reason :( if anyone thinking of installing it, feel free to pm me if u want some photos with the instruction ^^[/QUOTE]

yer ahah first ling i noticed minimised lagg

yer we used ur diy very helpful =]] jst took us longer cause clips were killers to take off..and also didnt want to damage anything holding up the front bar

yer also havent use it as yet...however ive got the UNI foam filter oil....duno if its good or not bt yer

lilwilliam
05-06-2007, 11:52 AM

yeah we did try to use it but there wasnt any pics it helped in the sense of the text but yeah we was as blind as a bat lol under then car so yeah 3 hrs of bitching and swearing was good for like first timers lol!. we were mainly stuck on removing the clips from the bumber no one wanted to *** it up lol!

BusterSonic12
05-06-2007, 02:19 PM
lol great.. took me around 2 hours too.

no i don't use a K&N filter, i m using the comptech filter that came with it, but i didn't get the cleaning oil set only the filter oil, so i use the K&N cleaning stuff then re oil sometime with k&n oil or comptech one.

i got a 06 euro, i took off the front left plastic cover, planning to put mesh there but right now, it's alright, nothing's going in getting stuck so it's fine.

Amusevtec
05-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Gains? Definately an improvement in engine response and the engine picks up the revs so much quicker.

With J toda's stock pod filter, it seemed to get so much "heat soak" that it would roar until vtec kicks in and that's when he'd start to get good power.

The sound is very soft, you can feel the difference with vtec but you can't hear it. With the pod, it was the opposite.

ALN
05-06-2007, 02:42 PM
lol great.. took me around 2 hours too.

no i don't use a K&N filter, i m using the comptech filter that came with it, but i didn't get the cleaning oil set only the filter oil, so i use the K&N cleaning stuff then re oil sometime with k&n oil or comptech one.

i got a 06 euro, i took off the front left plastic cover, planning to put mesh there but right now, it's alright, nothing's going in getting stuck so it's fine.

I thought the filter oil supposed to come with the ice box since I got it along with the package.

aaronng
05-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I thought the filter oil supposed to come with the ice box since I got it along with the package.

It comes with the oil but not the cleaner.

ALN
05-06-2007, 03:01 PM
It comes with the oil but not the cleaner.

Ok, anyway how do you clean up air filter ? just wash it?

turbo56k
05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
would comptech icebox gain any performance for an auto euro... especially low end torque???

J-TODA
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
would comptech icebox gain any performance for an auto euro... especially low end torque???

yep pretty sure it would :D

yer bustersonic i also removed that little cover on my 06 euro =]...
however fink we set it a bit to low...not exactly maximum potential...so will prob reposition the funnel-type part more higher to more direct air to flow thr:thumbsup: ough

aaronng
05-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Ok, anyway how do you clean up air filter ? just wash it?
Put the cleaner on, leave it for a few minutes, and then rinse under warm water. The cleaner helps break the oil down so when you put it under the water, all the dirt lifts off.

BusterSonic12
05-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Put the cleaner on, leave it for a few minutes, and then rinse under warm water. The cleaner helps break the oil down so when you put it under the water, all the dirt lifts off.

:thumbsup: then spray a new layer of oil on =) done

accordin to my butt dyno, hellya~!! i reckon it has gain on my euro. it's auto too

Suntzu
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Hmm. Id like a CAI like this but am waiting like an idiot for Hondata.....must resist!

yfin
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Hmm. Id like a CAI like this but am waiting like an idiot for Hondata.....must resist!

You can use the Icebox with the jtune stuff but not their full blown package...

rawr
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I still haven't seen on heard this box yet and you live down my street :) but i did see your face when you found out when you got one haha happy birthday J-Toda lemme drive your car so i can uhh give a review on the box :)

J-TODA
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
I still haven't seen on heard this box yet and you live down my street :) but i did see your face when you found out when you got one haha happy birthday J-Toda lemme drive your car so i can uhh give a review on the box :)

hahaha yer man....some random S*"T lol ...call me out at 10pm to go kk...i rock up...keep insiting i take out my resonator 2night...randomness...den suprise HAHA hectIC!! LOL yer haha andre mayb LOL! mayb ahah :p

aaronng
06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
hahaha yer man....some random S*"T lol ...call me out at 10pm to go kk...i rock up...keep insiting i take out my resonator 2night...randomness...den suprise HAHA hectIC!! LOL yer haha andre mayb LOL! mayb ahah :p

Hahah very nice of your friends to give you such a surprise! :thumbsup:

tony1234
06-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Mmm.Me too.Been waiting sooo long,car is 1 yr.old already.:(

killua888
21-07-2007, 02:50 AM
yay! just got my icebox installed:) thank you bustersonic:beer: for helping install! took us 2ish hrs in westfield chatswood.....hahahaha....yay!!

oh wells, broke 2 clips:p and still didn't manage to get bumper off so just took the wheel off instead.........

anyways, definitely more responsive,didn't expect revs to go up as fast as they did, sorta surprised me. love it how it sounds so stock normally, with normal driving and music on, it'd be hard to notice really.

anyways, looking forward to driving it more and hearing my i-VTEC vrooooooooooom!!

aaronng
21-07-2007, 01:19 PM
^^ Don't worry about the clips, just get them from Destrukshn or your local dealer. :) Retail price is about $4 each.

J-TODA
21-07-2007, 03:15 PM
yay! just got my icebox installed:) thank you bustersonic:beer: for helping install! took us 2ish hrs in westfield chatswood.....hahahaha....yay!!

oh wells, broke 2 clips:p and still didn't manage to get bumper off so just took the wheel off instead.........

anyways, definitely more responsive,didn't expect revs to go up as fast as they did, sorta surprised me. love it how it sounds so stock normally, with normal driving and music on, it'd be hard to notice really.

anyways, looking forward to driving it more and hearing my i-VTEC vrooooooooooom!!

yer hhaha lmao congrats on the new mod...yer dw bout the clips..no biggy...the boys broke a few of mine as well...was shitting bricks at first bt yer =] all good..

killua888
21-07-2007, 04:38 PM
lol, thanks.

meh, after i broke one i was asking "its alright to break clips right?", then i look at the one leon was doing and it was also broken lol...

i think cause mines 03 euro, having not taken clips off in nearly 4 years, the dirt got stuck around clips......really hard to pull out.

anyways, i'll try get new clips soon. i also dropped one of the screws for the ice box:o, i need to retrieve that........its stuck in the gap between the battery and the ice box....lol....so clumsy>.< will try get that out tonight

enkay
22-07-2007, 02:32 PM
grats on icebox..
dw happens to all of us =D i dropped my screwdriver last time installed new blubs haha

BusterSonic12
22-07-2007, 05:27 PM
glad your happy with the intake =) your first official mod :thumbsup: keep them coming. so how does it feel after couple of days? thescrew for the icebox's fine, i only got 3 holding it too + if u really want, just get from honda. easy stuff, not major so it's all good :D

snYpz
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
just quick question on resonator removal, does it improve air intake or improves the sound? lol
Also BusterSonic 12, if u can repost ur sounds clips that would be awesome! but its been a while since u posted them so if u dont have them nvr mind =)

BusterSonic12
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
just quick question on resonator removal, does it improve air intake or improves the sound? lol
Also BusterSonic 12, if u can repost ur sounds clips that would be awesome! but its been a while since u posted them so if u dont have them nvr mind =)

yep i do have them :thumbsup: i will post it up tomorrow afternoon :D wait
i removed my resonator for about a week i think before putting the intake on, improve- dont think i felt any, BUT sound wise, bit louder with a small rattle sound thingy around 3000rpm, however u can hear vtec when it is engaged :p just get the intake, no point just removing the resonator i reckon

snYpz
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
yep i do have them :thumbsup: i will post it up tomorrow afternoon :D wait
i removed my resonator for about a week i think before putting the intake on, improve- dont think i felt any, BUT sound wise, bit louder with a small rattle sound thingy around 3000rpm, however u can hear vtec when it is engaged :p just get the intake, no point just removing the resonator i reckon

cheers! :thumbsup:
Yeh i will be getting Comptech Icebox, just wondering whether to take resontor off or not. Dont want it too loud in the cabin cos dad will be driving as well hehe

J-TODA
07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeh i will be getting Comptech Icebox, just wondering whether to take resontor off or not. Dont want it too loud in the cabin cos dad will be driving as well hehe

ummm i think when ur installing the comptech..ull need to take of the resonator...as teh comptech intake piping replaces teh resonator , inorder to gain maximum airflow to the airbox..

aaronng
08-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Yup, you have to remove the resonator.

BusterSonic12
08-08-2007, 10:25 AM

if u don't want the humming noise, then leave the resonator on till u get your intake, cos that noise was quite annoying

adammet04
08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
theres a humming noise?

i had mine on for ages, prior to other mods and never had a humming noise.
can you elaborate?

maybe my resonator is not off..

adammet04
08-08-2007, 01:35 PM
sorry just reread..

resonator off prior to comptech icebox install..

mybad

killua888
08-08-2007, 08:36 PM

hahah, yeah, my dad drives the car as well.....he hasn't even noticed i've installed the comptech icebox.....but i did take the resonator out at the same time as installing the icebox. still wondering when i should tell him.......hahahaha

snYpz
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
hahah, yeah, my dad drives the car as well.....he hasn't even noticed i've installed the comptech icebox.....but i did take the resonator out at the same time as installing the icebox. still wondering when i should tell him.......hahahaha

lol! There is really only a subtle difference, from what i have read anyways. Just want a bit more sound when VTEC kicks in! =D

aaronng
08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
When you put the Icebox on after removing the resonator, the booming sound actually goes away and it sounds more quiet than the stock airbox without a resonator. :)

aaronng
08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
lol! There is really only a subtle difference, from what i have read anyways. Just want a bit more sound when VTEC kicks in! =D

Go CAI then. :)

snYpz
08-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Go CAI then. :)

nah. I reckon the Euro is a luxury car moreso than a sports car and so want to keep it pretty stock and stealthy! =)

Lukey13
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I've been trying to source the Comptech Icebox for a while without any luck. It seems that Comptech have stopped manufacturing. They also have THE dodgiest website around, which doesn't even seem to be fully functional.

What a shame, because I really wanted one... :(

snYpz
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I've been trying to source the Comptech Icebox for a while without any luck. It seems that Comptech have stopped manufacturing. They also have THE dodgiest website around, which doesn't even seem to be fully functional.

What a shame, because I really wanted one... :(

I think they are going through some management change, but dont quote me on that :P
yeh im trying to source one as well...i think most ppl got theirs from ebay..:(
tell me if u find a place that sells it for a good price! =) :wave:

ACTI0NMAN-1
08-08-2007, 09:36 PM
better than a stripper?

BusterSonic12
08-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I think they are going through some management change, but dont quote me on that :P
yeh im trying to source one as well...i think most ppl got theirs from ebay..:(
tell me if u find a place that sells it for a good price! =) :wave:

yep that's what i heard, management change. just wait i reckon they will be back.
go alternatively watch out for a 2nd hand one, cos intake, just wash the filter then it's like brand new again

uploading sound files now

aaronng
08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, give them a little while and they will be back.

BusterSonic12
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=809060#post809060

done :D sound file links fixed, excuse the quality of the recording please LOL it's really poor, only had my phone with me then, but ya just a general idea.

snYpz
08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
yep that's what i heard, management change.
uploading sound files now

Thnx Buster!!

J-TODA
10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
nah. I reckon the Euro is a luxury car moreso than a sports car and so want to keep it pretty stock and stealthy! =)

LMAO!! den comptech is the intake for u....start looking for one..=]

good response...straight away feel gains after installation...and not loud either...ahah so it wont scream as u hit 2nd stage vtec....

racerwannabe
13-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry to drag up an old old thread..

I've had it installed for about a week and I'm mighty impressed with it compared to CAI..

So, if your thinking of improving the intake you should consider the CT engineering (formerly Comptech) icebox as well.

tony1234
13-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry to drag up an old old thread..

I've had it installed for about a week and I'm mighty impressed with it compared to CAI..

So, if your thinking of improving the intake you should consider the CT engineering (formerly Comptech) icebox as well.
I've got an icebox too.Good value for money.You using the dodgy filter it comes with or a K&N?

racerwannabe
13-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Yea I'm using the foam one that came with it..do you notice any difference between the k&n and the foam one?

tony1234
13-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Yea I'm using the foam one that came with it..do you notice any difference between the k&n and the foam one?
Yeah,a bit.Don't know if it's in my mind or not.lol

BusterSonic12
13-08-2009, 07:49 PM

the foam one are awesome!

power_of_dreams
13-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I cleaned my foam comptech one with k&n recharge kit today after about 12,000km. The low end pick up seems improved (2nd gear from as little as 2000RPM it picks up quick), then again, it could be placebo effect. It's so hard to tell these days!

integral90
14-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I cleaned my foam comptech one with k&n recharge kit today after about 12,000km. The low end pick up seems improved (2nd gear from as little as 2000RPM it picks up quick), then again, it could be placebo effect. It's so hard to tell these days!

I know exactly what you mean, hehe. Noise = power in your head

opilot87
24-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Have been searching but can't find anyone that has the same problem. Just installed my Comptech icebox, but I couldn't get the lid screwed back on to the air box. Seems like the kit should have came with longer screws? It was the same with both the stock and Comptech lid, so the problem is the thickness of the Comptech air filter. I put the dirty stock one back in, and managed to get 3 screws in, although the last wouldn't go in because of the alignment due to it's poor engineering. I can probably dremel some plastic out when it gets light again...

So has anyone else had any problems with the Comptech air filter and getting the lid back on? I'm thinking of just getting a new stock air filter, this should hopefully seal OK?

Any help appreciated...

Ollie

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Have been searching but can't find anyone that has the same problem. Just installed my Comptech icebox, but I couldn't get the lid screwed back on to the air box. Seems like the kit should have came with longer screws? It was the same with both the stock and Comptech lid, so the problem is the thickness of the Comptech air filter. I put the dirty stock one back in, and managed to get 3 screws in, although the last wouldn't go in because of the alignment due to it's poor engineering. I can probably dremel some plastic out when it gets light again...

So has anyone else had any problems with the Comptech air filter and getting the lid back on? I'm thinking of just getting a new stock air filter, this should hopefully seal OK?

Any help appreciated...

Ollie
I CAN HELP WITH THAT! (lol i got the same issue)

You must have the late 2010 early 2011 stock, the mold wasn't right as company was under going bankruptcy (where Comptech became CT-Engineering)

SOLUTION:
Grab a Stanley Knife
And Shave the area marked green, shave it down till you could fit it, I fitted the Unifilter (foam) after shaving without major dramas

opilot87
24-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your reply, those areas did looks quite thick. I was thinking of getting the dremel on them but it was getting dark already. I think that will help with the alignment and getting the fourth screw in, but I don't think its going to help with the foam filter in there, as it still won't be deep enough. I did try screw the lid on with the box out the car, but could only get one screw in, even if I made sure the 'tabs' were clicked in so it could seat in properly.

Maybe I can dremel it a bit deeper? Or I was thinking of taking those metal spacer/washers out? Otherwise I was thinking I might be able to find longer screws at bunnings? Might have another look tomorrow.

Ollie

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your reply, those areas did looks quite thick. I was thinking of getting the dremel on them but it was getting dark already. I think that will help with the alignment and getting the fourth screw in, but I don't think its going to help with the foam filter in there, as it still won't be deep enough. I did try screw the lid on with the box out the car, but could only get one screw in, even if I made sure the 'tabs' were clicked in so it could seat in properly.

Maybe I can dremel it a bit deeper? Or I was thinking of taking those metal spacer/washers out? Otherwise I was thinking I might be able to find longer screws at bunnings? Might have another look tomorrow.

Ollie

Oh yeah.....

I took the metal bits (washer/spacer) out too.

Forgot to mention

opilot87
24-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Haha cool thanks, I've read stuff about the K&N filters not sealing so i'm guessing my stock filter at the moment is too. I only took it for a very short drive but the increase in sound when you press on the accelerator was a fair bit more than I was expecting! So guessing the unsealed filter might be making it louder than it should.
i'll let you know how it goes. Cheers

Ollie

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Haha cool thanks, I've read stuff about the K&N filters not sealing so i'm guessing my stock filter at the moment is too. I only took it for a very short drive but the increase in sound when you press on the accelerator was a fair bit more than I was expecting! So guessing the unsealed filter might be making it louder than it should.
i'll let you know how it goes. Cheers

Ollie

Mine was LOUD
when I first got it as well

OMG was it agressive

then I installed the Header and high flow cat.

it got silent.

roony
24-03-2012, 10:42 PM
So guessing the unsealed filter might be making it louder than it should.

yup. People have used weather strips to make a tight seal. There is a thread about that somewhere.

roony
24-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Mine was LOUD
when I first got it as well

OMG was it agressive

then I installed the Header and high flow cat.

it got silent.

what filter u using? im using the one that came with it, couldnt be bothered dealing with weather strips and all.

off topic from the thread, did u install your Comptech 22mm Rear Sway bar?

Fredoops
24-03-2012, 11:33 PM
what filter u using? im using the one that came with it, couldnt be bothered dealing with weather strips and all.

off topic from the thread, did u install your Comptech 22mm Rear Sway bar?

Yep
everything on my sig's in
and Im using the Unifilter that came with the pack