PDA

View Full Version : Changing from a thick engine oil to a thinner one

DOHCVTEC
05-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi guys,

I have been using the Honda FEO 10-W30 for the past 7 years in my DC2R.

My car does not burn a single drop of oil and the engine is in very good condition.

A workshop put 5-W40 Castrol Fully Syn engine oil in my engine yesterday.

My question is...If I change back to the thinner 30 FEO later, will it harm my engine / cause it to burn oil etc?

Some ppl say my engine will get used to the thicker oil and start to burn oil when i switch to thinner FEO. But some ppl in USA / Canada switches bet. thin and thick oil in diverse climate...

so i'm kinda lost...please help!

destrukshn
05-06-2007, 11:40 AM
i don't reckon so, but more of a fact of going from fully synthetic back to mineral and back and forth.

aaronng
05-06-2007, 02:35 PM
You won't have a problem if your engine wasn't burning oil when you had 10w-30 in it. :)

Going back to mineral from a synthetic is also fine. But sometimes the synthetic oil might clean out some carbon from your engine, leaving the tolerances a bit larger.

DOHCVTEC
05-06-2007, 03:08 PM
thanks guys for the replies...

Aaron u're a champion with these tech issues! :cool:

aaronng
05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
thanks guys for the replies...

Aaron u're a champion with these tech issues! :cool:

BTW, which Castrol oil did the mech use? I don't think they have a 5w-40 full synthetic in their line up (they have a 0w-40)

|N|
05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi guys,

I have been using the Honda FEO 10-W30 for the past 7 years in my DC2R.

My car does not burn a single drop of oil and the engine is in very good condition.

A workshop put 5-W40 Castrol Fully Syn engine oil in my engine yesterday.

My question is...If I change back to the thinner 30 FEO later, will it harm my engine / cause it to burn oil etc?

Some ppl say my engine will get used to the thicker oil and start to burn oil when i switch to thinner FEO. But some ppl in USA / Canada switches bet. thin and thick oil in diverse climate...

so i'm kinda lost...please help!

um... saw the same post somewhere else... hahah

BluEG
05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah only

0w-40 and 5w-30 around that range in castrol edge