PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

arverson
06-06-2007, 12:43 AM
did a search, read a couple threads but my minds sleepy atm. cant take in all this info but it seems like my problem is the head gasket..

ANYWAY.. ive got a stock 95 civic sedan & friendz tell me im blowing white smoke. it doesnt blow white smoke on idle, only when i rev it past 4k n up.

wat could be the problem here?? anything i should chek (radiator water, oil, etc) so it could help any1 give a definate answer??

arverson
06-06-2007, 12:49 AM
its not condensation eitha..

STTICH
06-06-2007, 01:34 AM
did u change ur engine oil recently?

blowing white smoke is one of the overfill symptoms.

EuroAccord13
06-06-2007, 07:06 AM
I think your coolant is leaking into your engine or water has somehow got into it.... Your head gasket might most likely be the cause of it.. A cracked head might also be the cause..

Has your car overheated before?

Check your coolant level in the radiator and reservoir and see if you are losing coolant..

90-POV
06-06-2007, 07:09 AM
I think your coolant is leaking into your engine or water has somehow got into it.... Your head gasket might most likely be the cause of it.. A cracked head might also be the cause..

Check your coolant level in the radiator and reservoir and see if you are losing coolant..

i agree with him, this happened to one of my recent cars, turned out to be the headgasket

aaronng
06-06-2007, 08:18 AM

blowing white smoke is one of the overfill symptoms.

Nah, it's light blue if it is oil.

Limbo
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Its never a definate answer until you take the engine apart, but try adding some stop smoke addative to your car it might help and only $10 so worth a try.

aaronng
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Its never a definate answer until you take the engine apart, but try adding some stop smoke addative to your car it might help and only $10 so worth a try.

That stop smoke stuff won't do anything if it is a coolant leak into the combustion chamber.

destrukshn
06-06-2007, 09:38 AM
er.. you can also check your oil, see if water is mixing as well.
are you losing coolant/water?

take off your rocker cover, for a more clearer indication.
but so far, looks like, your head gasket is gone.
not a hard job, but more of a time consuming one.
and make sure you don't lose any bolts if you do it yourself.
lol.

dsp26
06-06-2007, 10:22 AM
^^^yeah he's right.. when the car is cold take your oil cap off and there should be white residue under the cap which is crusty coolant. on the other hand... you should have surface oil in your coolant... kinda like asian soups where you see oil blobs on the surface of the liquid hehehe

BUT.. before anyone assumes headgasket, your better off getting a compression tester and test each cylinder.... headgasket USUALLY blows between 2 cylinders therefore 2 adjacent cylinders will be lower than the rest.

IF only one is lower, do the piston ring test... take the tester out and put a bit of fresh oil into the cylinder. this will temporarily fill the gaps in the rings and raise cylinder pressure voer the previous result.... if it doesn't then it's still a blown headgasket but nearer to the outside of the block as opposed to between 2 cylinders.

destrukshn
06-06-2007, 10:28 AM
^^^yeah he's right.. when the car is cold take your oil cap off and there should be white residue under the cap which is crusty coolant. on the other hand... you should have surface oil in your coolant... kinda like asian coupes where you see oil blobs on the surface of the liquid hehehe

BUT.. before anyone assumes headgasket, your better off getting a compression tester and test each cylinder.... headgasket USUALLY blows between 2 cylinders therefore 2 adjacent cylinders will be lower than the rest.

IF only one is lower, do the piston ring test... take the tester out and put a bit of fresh oil into the cylinder. this will temporarily fill the gaps in the rings and raise cylinder pressure voer the previous result.... if it doesn't then it's still a blown headgasket but nearer to the outside of the block as opposed to between 2 cylinders.
yups.

also how many k's has your car done?

dsp26
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
^^lol you quoted what i said.. i meant "asian soups" and i said "asian coupes" LMAO!

destrukshn
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
i know what you meant.
lol
hahahaha

arverson
06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

depends how recent 'recently' is.. last time i changed my oil was about 3 months ago. its been blowing white smoke way before that oil change tho.

never

also how many k's has your car done?

ALOT. coming up to 260 xxx now.

TODA AU
06-06-2007, 02:57 PM
did a search, read a couple threads but my minds sleepy atm. cant take in all this info but it seems like my problem is the head gasket..

ANYWAY.. ive got a stock 95 civic sedan & friendz tell me im blowing white smoke. it doesnt blow white smoke on idle, only when i rev it past 4k n up.

wat could be the problem here?? anything i should chek (radiator water, oil, etc) so it could help any1 give a definate answer??

With 260,000km on the clock, there is a probability that the engine is simply just worn.

Does it drive well? That is is the power level & drivability as normal?
Or is it down on power?

To determine the health of the engine, do a compression test & leak down.
If it fails, you know your problem.
If these are a pass, then most of the engine is ok.

After passing the comp~leak down test,
Test your PCV system.
1) At idle, remove the PCV breather hose from the rocker cover.
(It leads to the intake pipe)
See that air is being sucked into this, not blown out.
(Hold finger over it for approx 30sec & feel vaccuum develop.
After this, then get an automotive stethoscope & place it on the PCV valve at idle.
Squeeze the PCV hose with a pair of pliers & you should hear an audible click.
If not, the valve could be clogged & stuck open.
If clogged, it's best replaced, though it can be cleaned with carbi ceaner or the like.
Also check for cracks in the PCV hoses/grommets.

Should the PCV be functioning correctly & the engine's compression is good.
It is likely the valve guides are worn.
If vacuum cannot be achived at PCV brether hose & no cracked hoses or fittings are present.
This would indicate excess blowbye past the rings.

NB: Above info asumes white smoke to be oil smoke.
Regarding white smoke from coolant.
If the smoke is coolant related, the engine should lose coolant over a period of time.
If no coolant is lost. It is probable the smoke is oil related.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Adrian