PDA

View Full Version : Simota Inlet

vince
13-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone has one of this Simota Inlets on their Civics and if it's worth getting. How much are they?

http://www.simota.com.au/HTML/HTML%20Image%20Pages/Air_Filter_Kits/Air_filters_kits_c_pic03.htm

Bumble B
13-10-2003, 04:20 PM
I just have the filter. Sorry!

Hmm I'm just wondering if it's hard to do all the tubing etc for cold air induction? I've just got the filter bolted on. It's prolly sucking in warm engine air... hmm now wonder my car is slow :P hahahaha

vince
13-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Yeah right now i've got a Unifilter that just sucks in hot air so that's why i'm after something like the Simota one. If anyone know how they are compared to other brands making similar things let me know (price too).

sesshoumaru
13-10-2003, 05:38 PM
right now, i've got the bodgiest job ever on my air filte.r..

had an old uni filter lying around and just put it on so the tech is louder :P

i'm gonna do a full CAI piping later and replace the filter with a k&n pod when i can be botehred tho :P.

anyway, as for that simota thing.. i reckon its a waste of money... coz even tho it reflects heat, your filter will still be sitting in a hot engine bay sucking in hot air...

you could buy it and then build a custom heat shield tho, taht would be ok :P.

vti-2
13-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah right now i've got a Unifilter that just sucks in hot air so that's why i'm after something like the Simota one.

:?:

Most aftermarket pods, if not all, will suck in hotter air than the factory filter. Why? Because regardless of which filter you use, it will still be exposed to the engine heat. The only way to keep out heat and still have the filter in the engine bay is to either replace it with a flat panel filter (K&N make them) and swap it straight for the factory one, or to make a custom heat shield box that totally covers the pod filter. You will need a pipe leading from the box to the under section of the front bar where cold air can get to the pod filter.

There are heaps of guys that build there own version of CAI and if you are going to do that you may as well save money from building a heat shield and just have the pod sitting behind the front bar. Only problem with that is the higher maintenance involved with taking off the bar everytime you clean/replace the filter.

Bottom line, don't always believe what the salesman will tell you. I've got a K&N pod filter mounted in my engine bay and the difference between having it there or behind the front bar (CAI style) is very minimal. Kw gain would be bugger all.

That's my unbiased opinion. Hope that helps.

EG5
13-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone has one of this Simota Inlets on their Civics and if it's worth getting. How much are they?

http://www.simota.com.au/HTML/HTML%20Image%20Pages/Air_Filter_Kits/Air_filters_kits_c_pic03.htm

Simota copy the intake piping design from J's Racing japan.

Weq
13-10-2003, 08:28 PM
AEM make a nice CAI pod with all the piping needed, but u will fork out atleast $350 for it, imo, its the only one worth buying. Build ur own CAI for ur stock airbox and grab a k&n panel filter cause it aint that hard really. If u are after noise factor, dont bother with a fancy pod, just grab a cheapo version and bolt it upto ur standard intake ducting....

SIKCVC
13-10-2003, 09:14 PM
if its sitting in the engine bay then there will be improvments in power for about the first 15 mins of driving then it will be producing less power than stock.

do as suggested above and run the piping behind the front bar, it wont increase the power at all but it will keep it at that gained state for the entirety of the drive, unless its boiling hot outside in which case you will find you'll be back where you started.

Rufes1
13-10-2003, 10:04 PM

WHOAH CHode!!

Calvo
13-10-2003, 10:14 PM
i got a simota CAI on my accord, but its the full length one, not a small chode like that.
if ur interested, i can get them at a good price for accords, civics and ludes as i have a friends selling them.
i also have a pod on it, to be honest, u wont feel much power gain. maybe on a cold nite in winter, but its gettin into summer now so its only gonna get hotter. regardless, i got it coz it sounds cool :P (gimme a break :P) and it was an easy DIY job. wen i get the time, ill take my resonator out and make a DIY cold air tubing from my front bar, leading to my pod.
i find that i lose low end power really, but besides that, its ok :P. once ur passed 4000rpm in first gear, ull be fine.

EDIT: pm me if ur interested in the intake.
Click here for pics (http://www.3aracing.com/3aRacing/product10.htm#intake)

SIKCVC
13-10-2003, 10:54 PM
just a note if you have a civic Si or Vti or greater you should see and increase with a CAI on a mild day, I know with mine on there sucking air from behind the bar it has a fair bit more power than the standard panel filter but again as above I only notice the increase after about 3000 RPM, its a bit lower now that i have a 2.25 zorst.

vince
14-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah the reason why i asked about that particular Simota one is because i was thinking about buying it off this guy for $100. So i guess it's not worth it huh.

I don't really want to lose low end power so is it better to just go back to the stock air box? What will give me the best gain for the best price? I have a sohc non-vtec motor....

fueltank
14-10-2003, 10:24 AM
has anyone tried the weapon*r ones?

seems like they have a complete CAI kit?

Calvo
14-10-2003, 03:24 PM
from lookin at all the modded honda's around, i reckon the AEM CAI's look the best (in terms of most useful) and they reach all the way down to where the resonator is behind the front bar, aways from the engine heat and down low to suck in cold air.
they seem to be pretty common in lots of cars, but for wat ur paying, damn straight i better be good. lol.

Weq
16-10-2003, 01:38 AM
Your best power improvements will come from removing ALL the resonating chamers from ur intake, and install a k&n replacement panel filter. Best price ive seen is $100 off www.autospeed.com.au.
After u do that, u will certainly notice ur engine feeling happier down low in the rev range, for me it cleared up a flat spot also.

Setanta
16-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Pretty much what everyone else said - unless you go CAI you'll lose power due to heat-soak. Even with a CAI, the only real power you'd get is the sum of it and all other mods such as header, exhaust, cams etc. Claims of 15bhp increase @ the wheels are a slight exaggeration ;) The only way you'd get decent increases is running a CAI on a Civic that already drew from the engine bay - such as the '88 Civic GL etc.

My pre-gst $0.02 :)

vince
16-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Your best power improvements will come from removing ALL the resonating chamers from ur intake, and install a k&n replacement panel filter. Best price ive seen is $100 off www.autospeed.com.au.
After u do that, u will certainly notice ur engine feeling happier down low in the rev range, for me it cleared up a flat spot also.

So are you saying i should install my stock air box again but remove the resonator chamers first? And then buy a k&n panel filter?

Weq
16-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Yep, remove all ur resonating gear (if u have an aftermarket intake pipe to the TB and it fits with ur airbox, keep it as the standard intake pipe has a useless resonator on it also)
The main one is in the front guard, behind the headlights.. its a chunky big thing.. called a 'fresh air' chamber by honda.. the trick to removing it is that it ALL comes out, it resembles a empty fliud bottom with black platic pipes joining onto it.

vince
16-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Thanks i might try and remove the resonator next weekend. You have to remove the front guard and jack the car up to take it out right?

Do you know which part number k&n filter i'll need? I tried looking at the k&n website to find the right part number but it's not the same as the one in autospeed.

CustomCivic
16-10-2003, 02:26 PM

they may work great but i had one and i reckon they look cheap and nasty

Weq
16-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks i might try and remove the resonator next weekend. You have to remove the front guard and jack the car up to take it out right?

Do you know which part number k&n filter i'll need? I tried looking at the k&n website to find the right part number but it's not the same as the one in autospeed.

Part number.. hmm..
As for removing the resonator, the way i got to it was buy removing the front indicator to get at one bolt, then u have to jack up the fromt/stands/ramps and remove the black plastic stuff under the bumper.. Its like a plastic cover that they use for aerodynamic reasons... U dont have to fully remove it, u can unbolt/screw one side and kinda pull one side down as its very flexable. Then u can get at the resonator... DONT make the mistake i did though, the WHOLE plastic container has to come out (i thought just the black intaking piping unbolted off it, it doesnt!)

ABout 3 bolts all up will give u a fresh resonatorless intake.

one more chance
16-10-2003, 07:16 PM
that looks very similar to the AEM CAI!!!
its all much of muchness really when it comes to CAI and airfilters alike!
if you really want peace of mind, as them if they have anymore technical info which may include dyno reads....