PDA

View Full Version : Are These Coilovers for real?

rhysporter
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Ok so i dont have the best idea what coilovers are etc, but i know they are a must for track racing... and they range between 1000-2000 usually...
But these things are being advertised as coilovers on ebay, for like under $200. are they for real?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-coilovers-88-00_W0QQitemZ110133440960QQihZ001QQcategoryZ102337Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

m3ntAL_l2
06-06-2007, 09:12 PM
they coil wannabeS
dont buy its goin to kill ya

EKVTIR-T
06-06-2007, 09:17 PM
These are usually called coilover sleeves.Meaning you slip the threaded sleeve over your original shock allowing height adjustment.They are frowned upon from a performance point of view,most people just use them to dump their car cheaply resulting in a horrible dangerous ride.

STTICH
06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
those are not proper coilovers (ie: shock + springs), these are just springs and are somtime refers to as coilover sleeves springs.

rhysporter
06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Worth it just to cheaply lower the car? How dangerous are they really? Any more than the OEM ones?

m3ntAL_l2
06-06-2007, 09:29 PM
man i did buy kings over these.....

SiReal
06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
well, unless u get a reputable brand coil over sleeve - i know of only one = Ground Control brand - tried and tested race + performance coilver setup - eibach springs ~$500AUD

Or buy direct spring replacements. REgardless, if lowering, ur stock shock will go and u will get handling that eventually will become worse than factory.

dsp26
06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
^^^exactly!! GC sleeves are good!!

the ebay ones you posted up.. i've had them on my NX.

handling around corners on FLAT road was awesome.. however i spent all this time and money changing brake components trying to figure out why i kept losing traction.. and even changing to really expensive tyres...

turns out it was the springs... their SO STIFF!!!! so yeah it is pretty dangerous...

rhysporter
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Losing Traction = understeer? or oversteer? Oversteer i can deal with lol

haiz
06-06-2007, 09:55 PM
dont think the loss of traction was due to understeer or oversteer, think it was due to the fact that the wheels could actually be off the ground from the springs being too stiff and not being able to keep on the ground when needed
e.g uneven road = loss of traction

Drew
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
How dangerous are they really?

Suicidal

rhysporter
06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Ok, Ebay they stay then :) Thanks guys

Drew
06-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah Ebay is full of horse shit, especially when it comes to aftermarket parts

STTICH
06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
if u think bout it rationally, these are just springs, like any others except its adjustable.

but being so cheap (some even ridiculously cheaper) like ones u've shown, generally u cant expect them to b quality coils, they might not even been tested or wound professionally, hence the handling characteristic of them when compressed/loaded on road might b highly unpredictable. think of the higher chance of them snapping too!

something from GroundControl/Eibach is more reputable and will come at a higher cost. they're often used by many as a combination wth aftermarket damper/shocks. imo, they shud b better than the common Kings, if used sensibly.

also coilover sleeves are perceived by many to b dangarous bcos it has the potantial to provide major drop (4" + ?). when used wth stock shocks and the sleeves fully dropped, u might not even have any suspension travel left, which makes the ride extra bouncing (its not always the stiffness of the springs). if there's no suspension travel, even wth combination of the best/known springs u can find, u wont get a good ride quality.

note that finding out wat spring rate is suitable for ur needs is important when buying any springs.

tRipitaka
06-06-2007, 10:32 PM
had them on my car for 5000+kms
went twisties with them.. they're fine..

only reason why i changed them cos my shocks were almost dead..
they're fine.. but it's your decision..

dsp26
06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah Ebay is full of horse shit, especially when it comes to aftermarket parts

true but i also get my quality brand parts through ebay.. also a source for hard to get parts... plus the quality parts will always be cheaper than any shop here.

aimre
07-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Just buy them, slam ur car. Most of the ppl here are wannabe racers. If u want it too look nice, just get these. If u wanna race, then expect to pay for race quality products.

Everyone here always says how bad king springs are, and how u MUST change your shocks. Well, i have some news. Its been about 2.5 years since i lowered my car on stock shocks that came from the factory 15 years ago, and only now the back shocks have finally let go

z3lda
07-06-2007, 01:20 AM
had them on my car for 5000+kms
went twisties with them.. they're fine..

only reason why i changed them cos my shocks were almost dead..
they're fine.. but it's your decision..

of course they are fine,

everyone thats replied to this thread has never tried them nor ever
experienced using coilover sleeves on their own cars.

they all base the replies on what they hear from people that hear from
other people:thumbdwn:

they are not suicidal nor dangerious for street use. they will
give u car a nice drop at the expense of comfortability and reduce
the life of ur shocks if u drop it on its guts

z3lda
07-06-2007, 01:22 AM
Everyone here always says how bad king springs are, and how u MUST change your shocks. Well, i have some news. Its been about 2.5 years since i lowered my car on stock shocks that came from the factory 15 years ago, and only now the back shocks have finally let go

everyone here talks the talk but never really experienced anything or know anything expect from internet myths

STTICH
07-06-2007, 01:41 AM
... they will
give u car a nice drop at the expense of comfortability and reduce
the life of ur shocks if u drop it on its guts

never mentioned suicidal. stated it was dangerous and if u did read carefully, ^ u've just repeated urself on wat i've mentioned.

fadz
07-06-2007, 07:25 AM
i can say i had them, and still do, with No problems. :)
just make sure you got decent shocks to go with them, iv got sleeves running with Koni yellow shocks. hope that Helps.

dsp26
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
it's not that their 'suicidal' per say.. more 'inappropriate' australian roads which we know are crap.

the traction loss was due to the very stiff spring rate... because they are that stiff the shocks pretty much don't function correctly.

where-as a normal shock/spring combo will actually pressurize under hard brake and the nose of the car will dip forward.. where-as these sleeves don't allow that to happen therefore not allowing the shocks to absorb any of the inertial weight therefore traction is solely based on tyre and brake quality.

rememebr that handling consists of tyres/suspension/brakes that work together... with the suspension part missing obviously it takes away an aspect of suspension.

i'm not gonna bag them out as i did have them and praised them when i did.. here is the instll thread:
http://forum.nissanexa.com/showthread.php?t=33143&highlight=coilovers

dsp26
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
my ultimate cheap coilover set would be:
- KYB AGX 8-point damp adjustable shocks
- Ground Control sleeves WELDED to the shocks.

Having them welded onto the body of the shock is the only legal way to have them on... the sleeves are allen keyed against the body of the shocks.

There are proper suspension places here that can make them to your spec and have them welded to your shocks for about $400

07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
why dont you just get your self a d2 coilover (1400 delivered), Tien SS (1650 Delivered), or Tien Basic (1200 delivered) instead of spending on kyb and GC + weld which going to cos you roughly more than the coil over?

*suggestion :p

dsp26
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM
why dont you just get your self a d2 coilover (1400 delivered), Tien SS (1650 Delivered), or Tien Basic (1200 delivered) instead of spending on kyb and GC + weld which going to cos you roughly more than the coil over?

*suggestion :p
i would.... only if their for sale a decent price 2nd hand...
but really.. who uses all 36 points of damp adjustment.. it just means theres more damp rate interpolation between point 1 & 36 compared to point 1 & 8 on the AGX... ie 1 = 1, 36 = 8, 18 = 4....

both of them together is AU$800 brand new delivered from the states.... welding is less than $50 for all 4 at exhaust shop

z3lda
07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
never mentioned suicidal. stated it was dangerous and if u did read carefully, ^ u've just repeated urself on wat i've mentioned.

cause i waas quotin you on the suicidal comment *rolleyes*

its not even close to dangerous. your car is more dangerious with the bumper bar kissin the ground

aimre
07-06-2007, 08:23 PM
You can get tein SS for about $1100 non delivered, and deliver isnt gonna be $500

07-06-2007, 10:21 PM
You can get tein SS for about $1100 non delivered, and deliver isnt gonna be $500

1600 delivered with ball mount on top (the cup)
1450 ish with out :)

off ebay USA LOL !!! i was base it on that. i went to ask around from the seller there ;) n work out to be roughly around that price

z3lda
07-06-2007, 11:31 PM
why get ss when u can get tien flex for 1700

yourfathers got a set of tien flex for sale, 1700

aimre
08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
why get ss when u can get tien flex for 1700

yourfathers got a set of tien flex for sale, 1700

cos king springs do me fine

zco
10-06-2007, 12:49 PM
the only half decent coilover sleeves are GC ones that were made specifically for koni yellows. other than that. get coillovers