PDA

View Full Version : Prep Work For a Re-spray

rhysporter
06-06-2007, 10:15 PM
I needed the cheapest possible re-spray for my civic, so ive worked out an agreement with the painter that i'll do all the prep work and all he has to do is spray it...
As im pretty new to all of this, can anybody give me a basic rundown of:
What i actually have to do?

How far down i need to sand (To the metal, or back to the previous undercoat)
Best type of filler to use on a few small dents...
Will i need to undercoat it then sand it again before i give it to him? Because he said no sanding at all on his part...

Going to start the work in the school holidays in 2 weeks...

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Rhys

aimre
07-06-2007, 12:13 AM
sand until its smooth.

If u have a scratch to metal, sand surrounding area to metal.

If u scew up the prep, paint will look like shit

Jomsy
07-06-2007, 07:59 AM
your almost better off paying some one to do the prep work and do the painting your self, thats how important the prep work is,

if your paint is in good condition all you want to do is sand it till the paint is dull i.e. remove the clear coat, make sure you use sanding blocks not your hands/fingers, and plenty of water so you dont scratch the surface

JasonGilholme
07-06-2007, 08:00 AM
your almost better off paying some one to do the prep work and do the painting your self, thats how important the prep work is.

x2 :thumbsup:

lil_miss_vtec
07-06-2007, 08:45 AM
^^ Agreed!!!

Kiz_EG6
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
99.99% of the time, cheap respray = crap respray!!
If you want the car to still look good in 12 months, DONT skimp out!!

If the guy spraying it is not going to take all your trims etc off then you will end up with overspray and orange peel all over the car!! not to mention a bad prep job can result in crows feet and many other imperfections coming through the new paint job!!

Are you painting because the paint is stuffed or because you want a new colour?

One thing you can be sure of with car paint is you get what you pay for, do it right now to save headaches in the future!

Limbo
07-06-2007, 04:00 PM
like above your better off letting someone do it, but if your game here is a quick rundown.

First do a light rub, of the pait till its all smooth wet & Dry (grey stuff) I think pro a 1000 grade dipping it in water.
You will need a shammy to wipe the area clean as you work so keep a buck of water for the shammy also.

Then check up any places you need to fill with bog (putty or filler) make sure you clean the area very well and you put enough but smooth it so you don't have to sand it too much. Once dry sand it with like 300 grade & finish it with 1200 grade.

Then you need to finish the whole care with 1200 grade with water.

Then run your hand along the whole car it should be smooth like finished marble, if not keep sanding. Also there should be no shinny/glossy bits all should have gone dull. You don't need to go back all the way to metal unless you got rust or the sort Or if you need to fill in a dent.

Good luck it will take you at least a week if your car does not have too many dings. Then you need to mask off the rubber bits & glass, unless painter is doing it.

Just rem the better the sanding the better the finish. 80% of the work is in the prep.

aaronng
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Not only that, you have to remove all silicones on the surface so that the paint will stick. Silicone is everywhere in the air, especially if you live near an industrial area. Get a silicone remover surface prep product like House of Kolor's KC-10 wax and grease remover.

Limbo
07-06-2007, 09:02 PM
so long as he rubs wet rubs it back to a dull paint they use pre-sol to clean off any residue so that's not too much of a problem.

Hand to sand my own parts for preping so i had a bit of a go at it also. Took alot longer than i though

rhysporter
07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Spraying cos the old yellow is SHITTY... Its faded and like the bonnet,doors and roof are all different shades... An existing respray is all orange peeled on the back quarter panel... Looks like shit...

Oh and i got new skirts so they needed to be done anyways...

I Have 2 weeks of school holidays to get it all done... and about 3 of us to help out, so i should get it done pretty nicely... I Hope...

And Im Taking All the trims off... I'll give him a car with a masked dash, drivers seat covered in plastic, and bare windows with no seals etc...

Wats crows feet?

Limbo
08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Wats crows feet?
when the paint doesn't stick too well and you get these lines cracking thru it.

You might want the painter to have a quick look before you give it to him cos he would be able to give you an indication if you are preping to his standard. His work depends on you doing a good job.

Kiz_EG6
09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Wats crows feet?

Yeah, basically, literally looks like a bird has landed on the paint while it was still wet. :p

Kiz_EG6
09-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Spraying cos the old yellow is SHITTY... Its faded and like the bonnet,doors and roof are all different shades... An existing respray is all orange peeled on the back quarter panel... Looks like shit...

Oh and i got new skirts so they needed to be done anyways...

I Have 2 weeks of school holidays to get it all done... and about 3 of us to help out, so i should get it done pretty nicely... I Hope...

And Im Taking All the trims off... I'll give him a car with a masked dash, drivers seat covered in plastic, and bare windows with no seals etc...

Wats crows feet?

Yeah well if you don't wanna be faced with the same problem again in two years, make sure you do it all A1 this time around!!