PDA

View Full Version : springs dont fit?

fried
08-07-2004, 03:00 PM
has anyone had problems of springs not fitting in the shock?

seems that some springs wont sit captive in the shock. now i understand that this may be entirely illegal (especially when it comes to insurance) but what actually causes it to not sit captive?

:?: :?: :?:

SPEEDCORE
08-07-2004, 03:07 PM
I don't know if its just me but I don't understand what you are trying to say......

are you trying to get a spring onto a shock assembly and you can't fit the top to "captivate" or "lock" the spring into the shock assembly?

fried
08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
there is a spring in a shock.

the spring is not held captive. it moves up and down.

my question is WHY?

SPEEDCORE
08-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Possibilities:

The spring has been cut too short (demise of Gemini owners ;) )
Incorrect spring given to you.
Incorrect spring lenth ordered if custom springs made.

There are heaps........ any other information to give us??

Did you buy replacement springs?

fried
10-07-2004, 11:08 AM
well i know of certain ITR springs that didnt fit into koni yellows.... although this was on a eg civic, im sure eg and dc parts are interchangeable.

also kmac superlows not fitting into dc2 stock shocks.

i heard something about the spring stroke (length) not being the same as the shock its in?

Boost
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
yeh its a common problem, when u lift the car up the springs will rock around. But when its sitting, its ok. Make sure when u lift it and then put it down that the springs are straight and centered otherwise it wont be sitting properly on the pillow head. And u might get a huge crunching sound when the springs do lock into place.
Chopped springs, Lowered springs not made to suit the standard shocks will have this problem. MY current kmac are sitting this way at the moment and so far im not having any problems. :) hope this helps.

ECU-MAN
10-07-2004, 11:36 AM
there is a spring in a shock.

the spring is not held captive. it moves up and down.

my question is WHY?

lowerd spings dont have to be shorter that the original sping

a correct lowered spring should be the same length as the original spring. it is its different sping ratio that makes the car sit lower not its overall height. hope this helps.

fried
10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
boost
yeah... thats right. but thats also illegal, as far as i understrand. so why do they make them, if they will sit illegal? or is that a dead end question?

ecuman.
thanks, i understand that. but does that mean, again, that most aftermarket springs are illegal, seeing as they dont sit in properly? because the lengths are shorter? (just like cutting springs etc)

ECU-MAN
10-07-2004, 11:43 PM
if they dont fit in the strut properly id say there illegal, this is what iv been told by someone. i could be wrong though. I have never challeged anyone in authority about this. remember that when most cops pull you over they will not be able to tell just by looking at it. and i dont think they would jack your car up on the side of the road to find out. they would just defect you no matter what spring was in it if they thoght it was to low.

Boost
11-07-2004, 10:06 AM
fried: Yeh, funny that they make springs that dont sit properly. They can make springs that sit nicely in place, but still having the lowered look and with the properly stiffness without bottoming out. But for some reason some manufactures are still making them the way they do. I guess its a marketing strategy to make pplz buy their shocks to match the spring. I dont know.

Ive got kmacs on my teggy, and i can say that running the kmacs with standard shocks do wear out the stock shocks alot quicker. The ride is pretty rough and thats with stock 15" 195/55. Could u imagine if it was low profile tyres. It would be hell sitting in the car.
:)

Redteg
12-07-2004, 07:36 PM
I have spent the last six months of my life trying to work out how to most effectively keep looow springs captive for my DA9. So far, using EF shocks in the rear has achieved this for me.

If you want to retain your shocks, different upper mounts may be the go, either sourced from the states or custom made, which will sit the shock rod higher, and as such lessenign the distance between the upper and lower spring seats.

carbine
13-07-2004, 09:57 AM
^^yeah hack up the upper mounts or get some shipped in
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=469485

Jus-10
13-07-2004, 11:12 AM
And yes it is illegal for springs not to be captive on full drop.

You may also find that the spring will dislodge when entering driveways, etc, as well.