PDA

View Full Version : DC5 Type S Weight Reduction

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
What are some ways to reduce the weight on the Type S, looking into practical and cost effective ways. Basically I don't want to CF the whole car.
- Removing Useless stuff - dead weight
- Replacing parts as well but prefer just to take stuff out
any ideas

didz
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
make it like the type r. remove sound deadening and put in the recaros!

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Where is the Sound deadening? and i plan on putting the driver as a recaro

didz
07-06-2007, 05:29 PM
like in the engine bay n shit.. not sure on the specifics :/ I am sure someone here knows though.

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah i wanna take my car to WSID for 1/4 and want to take some weight off because of my 125kg body mass LOL, Im 6" solid build little chubby lately (good living LOL)

didz
07-06-2007, 05:38 PM
how much does the type S weigh on the rego?

T-onedc2
07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Do you have any mods already so we don't double up?
-titanium exhaust
-lightweight wheels
-get rid of sunroof (by unclipping and fit stock roof I've heard)

sydteg21
07-06-2007, 05:46 PM

correct me if i'm wrong , not sure what type of seat in type s , but generally recaro is always heavier than non recaro stock seat, so you looking at adding weight instead of losing weight, fixed bucket is what u need , but u mention u are 125kg , not sure if you can find one to big enough though.
Basic stuff are jacks, spare tire , tools , then rear seat , passenger seat, sound deadening, lightened flywheel, aftermarket exhaust system , highflow cat, a quarter fuel .

If u want to go hard core, then lighten battery , rear wiper, fix bucket, Cf hood, light wheel, whole interior, bumper support...that;s all i can think of right now.

Chi
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Dont think you can take out the seats for type S.

Its illegal as they came with airbags in them and you are replacing it with seats that dont have air bags.

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
the only thing i have moded is the Air Intake = GruppeM much lighter than the original.

In the wheel department i want to invest in light wheels(forged) , i dont know to go 17" x 9 or 18" x 9 what are the pros and cons

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Dont think you can take out the seats for type S.

Its illegal as they came with airbags in them and you are replacing it with seats that dont have air bags.

What ill get defected?

Mr_will
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
yes you will get defected.

read up on the wheels yourself there is plenty of discussion on this site about the optimal size depending on your goals

Chi
07-06-2007, 06:03 PM
17/18x9 is too wide , it'll scrub your fenders if you lower it a fair bit.

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 06:04 PM
yes you will get defected.

read up on the wheels yourself there is plenty of discussion on this site about the optimal size depending on your goals

Sorry for wasting your times:(

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
17/18x9 is too wide , it'll scrub your fenders if you lower it a fair bit.

so is 8.5 the max for DC5

[RSX 03]
07-06-2007, 06:08 PM
carbon fibre everything. :D

Mr_will
07-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Sorry for wasting your times:(

i dont think answering questions is a waste of time except when the info is freely available on this site. however when people ask question that have been covered many times and wouldve been answered had they searched first i think that is a waste of time.

its pretty simple, go look up some information yourself, come back, then ask for peoples opinions

EL_DC5
07-06-2007, 06:19 PM
i dont think answering questions is a waste of time except when the info is freely available on this site. however when people ask question that have been covered many times and wouldve been answered had they searched first i think that is a waste of time.

its pretty simple, go look up some information yourself, come back, then ask for peoples opinions

I seached for weight reduction for DC5s didnt find shit.

totti
07-06-2007, 06:19 PM

what is the reason you want 8.5/9inch wide wheels? i'd be looking more 17x7.5/8inch max

you obviously are reducing weight to enhance performance, by putting huge 18/19's on your car, it will only make your performance worse

aaronng
07-06-2007, 06:21 PM
like in the engine bay n shit.. not sure on the specifics :/ I am sure someone here knows though.

No mate, the sound deadening is all on the floor underneath the carpet. The boot also has sound deadening. There is not much point spending the effort removing it if all you save is about 8-10kg. You're better off in just taking the spare tyre out (which might be illegal in some states). Go for an ADR-approved CF hood first. Nice weight savings there. Also, take out your A/C compressor and condensor if you don't need it.

didz
07-06-2007, 06:21 PM
the only thing i have moded is the Air Intake = GruppeM much lighter than the original.

In the wheel department i want to invest in light wheels(forged) , i dont know to go 17" x 9 or 18" x 9 what are the pros and cons

get 17". I know someone with 18's on his type R and it does affect turning and makes it no where near as good.

Also as i said aronng, im not sure on the specifics :D

aaronng
07-06-2007, 06:24 PM

The stock air intake is light to begin with, under 5kg. You should go for good rims. No point going for 17 or 18 x 9". What is the width of tyres you want to run? I'd go for max 7.5" wide as that fits 225 profile tyres fine. Reducing the weight of the rims is fine, but the weight of tyres are much heavier than rims! So if you save 5kg on each rim (total 20kg shaved), you still gain over 5kg per tyre if you go for super wide tyres.

What ill get defected?
Yes.

45SET
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
for drag racing dont go to all the effort of remiving sound deadening and crap like that.

remome your spare tyre, tyre removal tools, and all the lining outta the boot of the car. that is about 15-20kg right there.

if you are serious about getting a lighter car (due to turning into a drag/track etc car)... should have got a Type R to start with. if you just wanna take it to the track a few times every couple of months.... remove the about items.

Tofu
07-06-2007, 07:13 PM
um....isn't the TypeS faster than the TypeR in a straight line (stock vs stock) to begin with anyway? :p

didz
07-06-2007, 07:14 PM
yes but weight and sussy is different.

matt
07-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Go for an ADR-approved CF hood first.

do these exist?

jeffske
07-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Go for an ADR-approved CF hood first. Nice weight savings there. Also, take out your A/C compressor and condensor if you don't need it.

i thought CF hoods were illegal? because they dont absorb impact and crumple like metal

didz
07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
i thought CF hoods were illegal? because they dont absorb impact and crumple like metal

Probably right but i see heaps of cars with them that dont get pulled up!. (my friends civic in particular!

EL_DC5
08-06-2007, 08:45 AM
what is the reason you want 8.5/9inch wide wheels? i'd be looking more 17x7.5/8inch max

you obviously are reducing weight to enhance performance, by putting huge 18/19's on your car, it will only make your performance worse

I want more traction, Type S has no LSD, get wicked wheel spin, S has got more power but less traction, Stupid Honda

EL_DC5
08-06-2007, 08:47 AM
No mate, the sound deadening is all on the floor underneath the carpet. The boot also has sound deadening. There is not much point spending the effort removing it if all you save is about 8-10kg. You're better off in just taking the spare tyre out (which might be illegal in some states). Go for an ADR-approved CF hood first. Nice weight savings there. Also, take out your A/C compressor and condensor if you don't need it.

I thought but correct me if im wrong, that the integras has aluminum hoods like the WRXs.

EL_DC5
08-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Redbook info on AU ITR http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/specs.php?key=HOND04CI

AU ITS http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/specs.php?key=HOND06AI

aaronng
08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Illegal if they are not ADR approved.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1041970#post1041970

aaronng
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I thought but correct me if im wrong, that the integras has aluminum hoods like the WRXs.
I might be wrong. :p How heavy is your hood? Can you hold it up using 1 finger without pain?

EL_DC5
08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I might be wrong. :p How heavy is your hood? Can you hold it up using 1 finger without pain?

yes without pain

matt
08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
they defintaley arent aluminimum, go pick up a bonnet of an evo then youll know what alloy feels like.
first time i opened my mates evo bonnet it felt like i nearly threw the thing over the car lol.

Tofu
08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I want more traction, Type S has no LSD, get wicked wheel spin, S has got more power but less traction, Stupid Honda

LSD does not give you straight line traction i thought...??
LSD are for limiting wheel spin entering and exiting corners...right?

didz
09-06-2007, 11:00 PM
yes because simple physics. Less wheelspin because more power required to spin both wheels at once instead of one.

Tofu
10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
^ i've been reading your post over and over again and i still don't think i understand what you're saying?

didz
10-06-2007, 07:01 PM
^ i've been reading your post over and over again and i still don't think i understand what you're saying?

Ok. The traction works like this.

It takes less power to lose traction on a single spinner (no LSD) because there is only one wheel spinning in comparison to a car fitted with an LSD (both wheels spinning at the same time). How this works in giving u a better straight line time is traction; When taking off and changing gears on a car fitted with LSD, there is minimal wheel spin in comparison to a car which is not fitted with LSD.

Sorry i tend to not make sense sometimes. i hope this cleared up what i was originally trying to say.

Tofu
10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
so it takes more throttle control to drive a car without lsd?

didz
11-06-2007, 07:07 PM

not sure what u mean but im referring to this

they are designed for cornering but also help with straight line traction yeah?

I am saying that the only way LSD will improve straightline performance is adding traction with acceleration.

In a car which does not have an LSD, there is only ever one wheel getting the majority of the power to turn the wheel. This means that it is easy to lose traction if there is a lot of power getting put through eg: a straightline drag, you might spin your wheels a lot at the start and/or spin your wheels while changing gears.
In a car fitted with an LSD, the power is reletively distributed evenly between the two (or four) wheels. This means that in a straight line or a drag there will be less wheel spin because its more difficult for a car to spin both wheels at once rather than only spinning one.

aaronng
11-06-2007, 09:17 PM
On a flat road with equal traction on left and right tyres, there will be very little benefit in a drag. It works great when one side has more traction (say the previous car on the drag strip left more rubber on the left than on the right for some reason), and then it works like how didz explained it.

Tofu
11-06-2007, 10:20 PM
i think you might be getting lsd and traction control mixed up.

an LSD limits the slipage in the wheel when one of the driven wheels is not in direct contact with the ground, not adding traction to the wheel that's in contact with with the ground. if that does happen, then the car will spin out.

qstoria
11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
sell type s. buy type r. then try weight redcution. in the words of jeremy clarkson

"you've bought the wrong car"

didz
11-06-2007, 10:28 PM

an LSD limits the slipage in the wheel when one of the driven wheels is not in direct contact with the ground, not adding traction to the wheel that's in contact with with the ground. if that does happen, then the car will spin out.

I am not talking about traction control though. I am talking about less wheelspin because of the lsd when u launch/change gears.

didz
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
sell type s. buy type r. then try weight redcution. in the words of jeremy clarkson

"you've bought the wrong car"

thats stupid. they are both good cars and are different rides respecitvely.

Tofu
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I am not talking about traction control though. I am talking about less wheelspin because of the lsd when u launch/change gears.

yah, so it brings back to why i ask...

didz
11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
yah, so it brings back to why i ask...

in a straight line, no. in a turn possibly (not a complete expert)

The main probelm to my understanding is that once u lose traction, u really lose it lol.

qstoria
11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
thats stupid. they are both good cars and are different rides respecitvely.

no its not stupid. you are exactly right in saying they have different rides. if you want a quick car for the track or drag strip then the type s shoudln't be your first choice. taking the weight out of it, fitting recaros etc is all in vain if you ask me. the type s is a soft version that honda has built to cash in on a market for the people who dont want to live with the type R because its just not quite suitable for many on a day to day basis.

if you are serious and want a fast honda for the track or drag dont use a type s.. Sell the type s, buy a type r and then have some fun with the change.

i guess it depends how serious EL DC5 is?

mqt55s
11-06-2007, 10:50 PM

correcto! doing an assignment as we speak on diffs for uni. LSD stands for limited slip diff = limits the slipage ^^! lol omg so technical haha. basically sends more torque to the side with more traction. Not the maximum amount of torque, just some. the amount of torque depends on the LSD, or rather the springs inside the lsd. one wheel will never get 100% of the torque.

Open diffs are gay because they always try and balance out the torque on both sides.

so if you got stiff ass sussy and u go up a driveway and one wheel lifts up in the air, the torque required to spin that wheel is very very very small.

that same amount of torque is applied to the other side, so your car doesnt move. gayyy. happens to me all the time. stepping on the brake slightly gives a bit of friction to the wheel stuck in the air and thus more torque!

didz
11-06-2007, 10:52 PM
no its not stupid. you are exactly right in saying they have different rides. if you want a quick car for the track or drag strip then the type s shoudln't be your first choice. taking the weight out of it, fitting recaros etc is all in vain if you ask me. the type s is a soft version that honda has built to cash in on a market for the people who dont want to live with the type R because its just not quite suitable for many on a day to day basis.

if you are serious and want a fast honda for the track or drag dont use a type s.. Sell the type s, buy a type r and then have some fun with the change.

i guess it depends how serious EL DC5 is?

I agree with everything you have just said, just not about buying the wrong car.

I am so fkn angry about being in australia and getting jibbed on the cars down here. Its bullshit.

Getting back on topic, weight reduction is difficult because u gotta weigh up if u want comfort of the interior or not.

Get lighter wheels, CF replacement parts and strip the boot. Another thing to think about is a lighter flywheel and full stainless or titanium exhaust, so much lighter than the standard mild steel ones.

qstoria
11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I am so fkn angry about being in australia and getting jibbed on the cars down here. Its bullshit.

if we had JDM 162kw dc5 R then there would be no questions asked :p

didz
11-06-2007, 11:10 PM
if we had JDM 162kw dc5 R then there would be no questions asked :p

no shit. the price would be justified instead of the 44k price tag for a 15sec coupe with shit brakes.

qstoria
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
not that hard to get a k20a2 up to 162kw. hence if one is serious about drag or track. you buy a type r

didz
11-06-2007, 11:35 PM
i know but its more than the engine dude. its the brakes and exhaust system as well. The engine also has better cams

RyDC5S
12-06-2007, 12:36 AM
not that hard to get a k20a2 up to 162kw. hence if one is serious about drag or track. you buy a type r

Australian Type-R ain't the same as the J-spec'd version. Handling package and brakes are inferior.

I agree with the other guys, AUDM Type R is a disappointment, Honda took the easy way out here rather than giving the enthuasiast base the car they wanted.

bennjamin
12-06-2007, 08:06 AM
guys, this topic is about WEIGHT REDUCTION>

You want to make a thread about AUDM vs JDM , post up in the noob forum.

Tofu
12-06-2007, 08:39 AM
i really think one should have driven both the TypeS and the TypeR for a longer period of time before you can really make a judgement on which is better for what.
I have been around and owned DC5 since they were released in 2001-2002 and I can safely say, after doing suspension mods on the TypeS, you won't notice the difference between the R and the S.
And to be quite honest, the weight is debate is redundant. You're not really going to feel the difference between the two.

didz
12-06-2007, 09:46 AM
i really think one should have driven both the TypeS and the TypeR for a longer period of time before you can really make a judgement on which is better for what.
I have been around and owned DC5 since they were released in 2001-2002 and I can safely say, after doing suspension mods on the TypeS, you won't notice the difference between the R and the S.
And to be quite honest, the weight is debate is redundant. You're not really going to feel the difference between the two.

I agree. If anything u would feel more power in the type S because it is a quicker car, even if it is heavier.

What is the weight of the type S anyway?

Tofu
12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
according to Redbook
1160Kg - DC5R
1230Kg - DC5S

Hullabaloo
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
the 1160 figure for the DC5R is without A/C though isn't it?
How much does A/C weigh? 40kg?

Tofu
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
hmm good point...don't know if that's with or without A/C

Hullabaloo
12-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm sure it's without A/C. A/C was an option on DC5R's and kerb mass figures are on the car without options I believe.

EL_DC5, depends on what you consider useless.. some might say carpet and boot lining are useless? Maybe you can live without A/C?

RyDC5S
12-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I watched the Best Motoring International, the VTEC club one - the Spoon DC5R that was fully stripped down as a shade under 1000kg.

So realistically, around 100 kg in real terms.

Practical?

Probably uprating the engine might pay more dividends.

sitta
12-06-2007, 11:27 PM

get 8 or less. 8.5 is massive! believe me u wont believe how big it is untill you put it in your car, doesnt really look right on a honda... i got 18 8.5 on my beemer and it is massive when you look at it from the back. My suggestion is 18 inch < 8 lightweight wheel

matt
13-06-2007, 12:03 AM
1180 was the listed spec with A/C

qstoria
13-06-2007, 01:36 AM
do some weight reduction on a dc5r then think about the following:
RBC IM, exhaust upgrade, kpro and tuning, suspension and brake upgrade and some good track rubber = fast NA car, drag or circut. your choice. not to mention type R has LSD already plus recaros and is approx 70kg lighter to begin with.

i still cant see the point in doing this on a type s when u could sell it, buy a dc5r and put the change towards this hence why i said earlier 'you bought the wrong car'. perhaps when u bought the type s you werent thinking along these lines but if you are now then id sell, get type r, weight reduct it and begin modifying for circut or drag as u see fit

EL_DC5
14-06-2007, 02:31 PM
do some weight reduction on a dc5r then think about the following:
RBC IM, exhaust upgrade, kpro and tuning, suspension and brake upgrade and some good track rubber = fast NA car, drag or circut. your choice. not to mention type R has LSD already plus recaros and is approx 70kg lighter to begin with.

i still cant see the point in doing this on a type s when u could sell it, buy a dc5r and put the change towards this hence why i said earlier 'you bought the wrong car'. perhaps when u bought the type s you werent thinking along these lines but if you are now then id sell, get type r, weight reduct it and begin modifying for circut or drag as u see fit

I like the face lift dc5 more than the preface lift, Idealy i would off bought a JDM ITR but i can't, and i need a new car not used so i got the S with has better engine anyways

EL_DC5
19-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks Guys you have given me heaps of things to do and thing about.

:)

PHAT1
19-06-2007, 11:03 PM
if you don't want to use cf then you can get fibreglass guards.and get titanium parts . like exhaust and adjustable arms

EL_DC5
20-06-2007, 08:42 AM
what and where does the titanium adjustable arms go??

EL_DC5
20-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Tonight WSID Nice clear weather. Taking what i can out. Any quesss on the times i mite get. Wendesdays is quite there so you get 4-6 goes.

mpd076-chuck
20-06-2007, 11:18 PM
So how did you go at WSID?

My weight reduction list. For DC2R but might be useful.

Header/Cat
Clutch/FW
Intake
Lug Nuts

remove speakers/stereo
remove spare wheel
remove rear seats
remove parcel shelf

Light Wheels (Volk/Rays)
Battery (Deka/buddy club)
Seat / rails (BuddyClub)
remove p/s
Stainless Exhaust/Titanium muffler
remove antenna
remove rear wiper (use RainX)

Aluminium suspension

calipers
rotors

CF Hood

EL_DC5
21-06-2007, 11:03 AM
best time 14.488 but i got 1 15.02 and lots of 14.7 ish
Ill post detail l8r

mpd076-chuck
21-06-2007, 11:14 AM
14.488, that's pretty good. Congrats

EL_DC5
21-06-2007, 11:17 AM
14.488, that's pretty good. Congrats

The only good start i had, It was alittle wet.

eriktufa
21-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Wow nice time with only gruppem there, I guess type s is faster than type r :D

EL_DC5
21-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow nice time with only gruppem there, I guess type s is faster than type r :D

I thought it was pretty poor. I cant seem to put it down. i was tring to keep it at 2900rpm then ridding clutch on full throttle, it hard on FWD w/o LSD - nice night tho cold as hell, clear skys. alittle water on the line up and burn out strip

EL_DC5
21-06-2007, 03:14 PM
I reckon we should organise to get a group of us Out there on a Wednesday,
Sydney Honda Night @ WSID Wacky Wednesday. We could race each other.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5792&d=1182820055

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5793&d=1182820055

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I fix the pics

EG5
26-06-2007, 05:00 PM
good ET , what mph and 60ft did u hit ?

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 06:07 PM
R/T = 440
60' = 2.366 < i did do one better than this 2.2 something but i cant find the paper
ET = 14.489 @ 158.92
this is one of my quick runs

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I had to pay twice because i wanted to go more than 6 goes, Assholes that night,

Tofu
26-06-2007, 06:16 PM
nice work..!
i did 14.9 in my TypeS with FGK, but my 60' was embarrassing..lol

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 06:24 PM
nice work..!
i did 14.9 in my TypeS with FGK, but my 60' was embarrassing..lol

Sorry for my ignorance but wtf is FGK?

Tofu
26-06-2007, 06:36 PM
fujitsubo powergetter