PDA

View Full Version : Security

beeza
07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
My car is a 96 EK1 Civic.It has the chip in the key as far as I've been told (by an auto electrician) a light comes on in the cluster when it recognises it.I'm just wondering without giving details how easy this would be to by-pass?
I've read a lot on how to secure my car and I know it's about putting on layers to slow the thief down,so what type of layers do you guys have on your cars.I just don't know if the chip in the key is enough.Yes I'm Paranoid :o .

Thanks Guys.

Limbo
07-06-2007, 09:04 PM
i dun think your car is that much of a risk.
The chip he is talking about is the factory immoboliser. It works pretty well.
If you want better security get an alarm with 3 or 4 point immoboliser and some knock sensors. It usually slows or deters them.

In the end if they really want your car bad enough they will just tow it away. Happened to my friend's EVO VII

beeza
07-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks Limbo,good to hear.A mate said the same that my car isn't much of a risk so it's reasuring.
Yeah my dream car is a 05 Sti but honestly I would hate to go to my car one day and it's not there.....Don't need the worry.
I've heard of cars being towed aswell.I guess it happens everywhere.

But I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking 'If they really want it they will get it' - that's a bad attitude.

Bayani
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
- A Digitial Tilt Sensor will help against towing.
- Microwave Sensors will even warn if someone stands too close to your car, or peers into the window.
- Audio Discriminating Sensors detect glass breakage
- Clublock
- kill-switch
- better yet, two switches

:)

Few layers for ya.

ek4-guy
08-06-2007, 10:29 AM
the chip is very easy to bypass

Ph@t-G
08-06-2007, 11:51 AM
As limbo said, a decent alarm/immobiliser with 3 pt immobiliser, knock sensor, code hopping, etc should be enough. If someone really wants your car, they'll just tow it on a flatbed and say bye bye no matter what you have.

Having said that, you only get the best out of an alarm if you have the best possible installation. Only as good as its weakest link...

beeza
08-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Thank You :thumbsup:

the chip is very easy to bypass

Dammit! I thought that would be the case.Thanks mate :thumbsup:

The good thing is where I live there's so many WRX's,Skylines and other modified cars so I'm sure the thieves will want them cars over mine...

I heard what they will usually do is pop the hood see what ya got and if there's not much under there they will just take the wheels.
I reckon they mostly want turbo's.

Keep the input coming Guys this is good knowledge :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
08-06-2007, 11:44 PM
if you want to know how to bypass the immo, search the DIY section

Bayani
09-06-2007, 12:21 AM
You should have your hood, bonnet, and all other entry points covered when getting an Alarm Installation.

If someone opened my hood; the alarm would go off :P

Many popular Alarm systems offer little protection; I know a particular brand in which their alarm can be bypassed simply by shorting two wires.

beeza
09-06-2007, 02:27 PM
You should have your hood, bonnet, and all other entry points covered when getting an Alarm Installation.

If someone opened my hood; the alarm would go off :P

Many popular Alarm systems offer little protection; I know a particular brand in which their alarm can be bypassed simply by shorting two wires.

My Hood release alarm trigger is fitted in the factory position at the front.Is it beeter if I move this up the side of Hood where they cant put thier hand in and hold it down when they open the Hood?
Also I've relocated the Hood release cable from inside the fender to inside the engine bay but you still could get through the front grill and pull it.I've read to put the cable in a metal pipe and secure the pipe with brackets,but I don't think that will be 100% full proof.I'm thinking the best way is to have sheet metal covering the whole thing so you cant get to the cable at all.
On second thought if the Alarm trigger for the hood is done corectly you won't have to worry about this.Help.

ek4-guy
09-06-2007, 03:03 PM
You have to watch how different alarms are wired. Cause some pin switches make a connection with the earth in the car body when the bonnet is closed. If that connection is lost ie:(bonnet is opened) the alarm will trigger.

Some alarms have the pin switches wired so that it takes a connection with earth to trigger them. These are useless because if someone was to cut the wire before opening the bonnet the connection will never be made. Then the thief can open your bonnet and disable the siren before he triggers the alarm

The better alarms will have pin switches that have a permanent connection to earth when the alarm is activated. With these type switch if the bonnet is opened or the wire is cut the connection to earth will be lost and the alarm will trigger.

beeza
09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Thank ek4-guy,nice one.It's out of my league to tamper with my alarm although I'm learning a lot about everything.I will have to get a proffessional to upgrade my alarm when I get some cash together.
In the meantime is it a good idea to move the Hood pin switch up to the side?

Bayani
11-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Obviously depends where it is, if your car doesn't have a tilt sensor for instance, someone could jack your car up, and with some helpful tools like bending arms and mirrors / cutters - an alarm can be bypassed. :P Don't always have to go from the top to get in.

beeza
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I see.My Hood pin switch is at the front of the hood,so my concern is they can easily get thier hand in there and hold it down,but if it was up the side of the hood it would be very difficult to do....
I think I just answered my own question but I just wanted to check.

11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
why dont use a good all days technique?

Foot lock
Steeringwheel lock
Hand brake Lock

LOL !! that where arround when i was kid, my dad used to have them back in Asia :p

beeza
11-06-2007, 01:11 PM
why dont use a good all days technique?

Foot lock
Steeringwheel lock
Hand brake Lock

LOL !! that where arround when i was kid, my dad used to have them back in Asia :p

Ha Ha Forsure.I remember my Mum had that one too :thumbsup: .It went around the accelerator and the steering wheel.You could have probably just kicked that thing in half.If they made one (maybe they do...) these days out of stong metals it should be effective.... Well that's if you couldn't hacksaw through the sucker :D

11-06-2007, 01:14 PM
or even lock you wheels to the tie rods :p like bikes? HAHAHAHA .. may be a wheel lock? seen that arround? that goes to the wheels and to the ground?

ek4-guy
11-06-2007, 01:14 PM
you can always hacksaw through the steering wheel easy enough so it wouldnt really matter what the lock was made from

11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
isnt that obvious? to rbing a hack saw into the cars ? LOL and the alarm are set off :P

ek4-guy
11-06-2007, 01:25 PM
lol there are smaller hand held hacksaws you can get but at the same time if you wana be techincal a small pair of bolt cutters would do the same thing

beeza
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
you can always hacksaw through the steering wheel easy enough so it wouldnt really matter what the lock was made from

Offcoarse duh! And that happened to more previous car too...

Muzz
12-06-2007, 01:01 AM
- Microwave Sensors will even warn if someone stands too close to your car, or peers into the window.

Hey man im really interested in getting one of the above. not so much to prevent car theft, but ive had 3-4 instances over the last year where ive looked at my car after going out for the night, and noticed that complete randoms have intentionally dammaged my car. Ive got a decent dint in my rear quater panel, 2 dints in my bonnet, a majorly deep scratch in my fender, and a small dint in my b pillar:( All from random f**cks who feel like damaging my car, when im not around.

Any of you guys experiance the above or is it just me who cops this crap?

Anyways, do you know of any alarms that have this feature? Is it common or is it only seen on super expensive alarm systems?
Anyone know of, or have a system with this feature?

ek4-guy
12-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Muzz my commodores alarm has one they are ment for convertables so you can leave the roof down.

But mine has come in handy many times as when i got it installed i made sure thewy told me how to adjust it.

12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
hey do you know the best way? to save ur car?

When alarms are set, Electric current goes through the body ... i still remember my old man tell me his story, LOL !! IT WORKS !!

Muzz
12-06-2007, 02:45 PM
hey do you know the best way? to save ur car?

When alarms are set, Electric current goes through the body ... i still remember my old man tell me his story, LOL !! IT WORKS !!

So you short the positive teminal of the battery to the rear of the chassis so that there is a high current flowing through the body to shock any one who touches it correct?:confused:

Sounds like a massivly high risk of fire (1000X the risk of it being stolen) if thats what you mean. And wouldnt the paint insulate against shock, theres current flowing through the body to start with from audio gear etc.

Muzz
12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Muzz my commodores alarm has one they are ment for convertables so you can leave the roof down.

But mine has come in handy many times as when i got it installed i made sure thewy told me how to adjust it.

Awsome, ive had a search round and found a few systems come with the option of adding the microwave sensors:thumbsup:

12-06-2007, 09:14 PM
LOL... not a high volts and high current .. :p you have to get a inverter for it lol.. "shusssh" its illegal i guess

Muzz
12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
LOL... not a high volts and high current .. :p you have to get a inverter for it lol.. "shusssh" its illegal i guess

Ahhh true..
i was picturing massive 0 gauge power runs to prevent the cables from overheating and melting everywhere due to the extremly low resistance lol:eek: