PDA

View Full Version : piston to deck height.

nd55
07-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Honda people,

Just want to confirm some D16 technical information, as I'm reading lots of conflicting stuff.

The piston to deck height of an OEM D16Y8 is 0.0mm
45mm (crank throw) +
137mm (rod length) +
30mm (compression height)
= 212mm.

SInce the block height is also 212mm, piston to deck height is 0.0mm.

Therefore the piston to deck height of a D16 with Vitara pistons is calclated to be 0.0mm (same numbers as above).

Yet, there's no shortage of pictures and info showing the piston to deck height of a D16 with YCP Vitara's to be closer to 2mm.

Anybody know for sure?

Also, our local D16Y4 has a (supposed) chamber CC of 32.8cc, yet it looks identical to a D16Z6 which is closer to 34cc.

Anybody know?

Lastly, are the D16Y4 intake/exhaust ports different from a D16Y8?

(This is the last question ... really) Can SOHC D16 vtec cams be installed in a non-vtec motor and utilize the high lobe all the time?

Thanks.
Nick.

creativepunka
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
The reason the vitaras are closer to 2mm is because it has its gudgen pin further down the skirt which gives us the lower compression and a thicker ringland that everyone likes.

nd55
09-06-2007, 02:04 PM
> The reason the vitaras are closer to 2mm is because it has its gudgen pin
> further down the skirt which gives us the lower compression and a thicker
> ringland

I'd have thought that a lower piston pin on standard stroke and rods would raise the piston crown?

creativepunka
10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd have thought that a lower piston pin on standard stroke and rods would raise the piston crown?

It depends which is the top and bottom on a piston. lol yep it was a miss type. :cool: . You are right