PDA

View Full Version : DA9 CAI Question?

KLA80T
09-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I have recently installed a cold air intake on my DA9 and this means that my pod filer is hanging underneath where the big black container is used to be (bottom part of the stock air box). I am just worried that with the weather condition at the moment (rain and flood) my engine will suck water and create hydro lock? (what does this term mean anyway or to what extent will I get this problem?) My car is lowered and I am worried to drive it on the rain due to the water coming underneath specially from flood! or should i get worried?

Need your help!:confused:

KLA80T
09-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I've got a front bumper where the pod filter is visible from the mesh... meaning its all open, will it solve my worries if i cover the pod filter with one of those heat shield guards design for pod filters inside the engine bay? If i use the heat shield cover to cover the filter from direct rain water coming inside the front bumper.... I guess it won't protect it from floods but atlest from direct exposure to rain water coming direct.... if it akes sense?

m3ntAL_l2
09-06-2007, 01:14 AM
how low is teh car? unless u drive into a big puddle u SHOULD be fine... but anything can happen. i would hav the pod sit in the engein bay and run a pipe to the outside to feed cold air to it.
these might help:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42865&highlight=cai+water
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57362&highlight=cai+water
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47577&highlight=cai+water

KLA80T
09-06-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure how low but i guess its not THAT low its just that before i installed the CAI, i know when i can feel the car everytime i drive through a puddle because the car slows down a bit.

ok. So unless the pod is soaked or fully submerged in water is where i can get hydro lock. but if it is just constant direct rain water coming in the pod is ok?

thanks for your reply and i really appreciate it... i'm gonna keep reading the thread on the link thanks!

IZY-10
09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
should be fine i have the same setup. Hydrolock is where water gets into your engine!

INTEGGRA
09-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I had same set up and my mate has even worse where there is a hole in the gaurd under where the intake resignator use to be...so if he is ok then you should be fine..

KLA80T
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
the pod is directly infront of the mesh on the front bumper. with the weather at the moment im worried it will suck up all the rain water at the front. But if you guys say its ok. then i'll trust you! i'm thinking of cutting the pipe a liile bit shorter so it sits a little bit higher... thanks guys!

ACTI0NMAN-1
13-06-2007, 09:03 PM
worse thing about that position is you will be cleaning or replacing your filter more often. i would shorten it so it sits a little higher out of direct splash or dust areas.

stanleym
13-06-2007, 11:42 PM
think about it this way aswell.. it will have to be alot or water getting into the pod .. defying gravity to go upthe pipe then along.. hydro locking does take a bit of water to occur does it not??

so just dun take it into huge puddles/lakes.. and if ur still worried

cover the pod from the grill area but i dun think u need to cover the whole thing... i pretti sure repco sell some strange pod cover thing that shields part of the air filter

hope that helps

KLA80T
14-06-2007, 09:46 PM
thanks guys!