PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Stock airfilter !!!

bennjamin
13-10-2003, 06:22 PM
hi all...took off the stock inlet to have alook around and abit of a clean out...by golly by gosh my " trust panel filter" is black and dirty as my bum is !

Ok , what do i use to clean her up to a nice , bright yellow finish like she used to be ? And what oil/lube do i use to re-seal it???

( no connatations here...above the belt Win :P )

Thanksyou all ! Ben 8)

Rowie
13-10-2003, 06:49 PM
prolly better off buying a new one. there not expensive :D

AP1 F20c
13-10-2003, 06:53 PM
You won't get it back to the original yellow fresh sheen the filter initially looked like, you can however wash it. Go to AutoBarn/SuperCheap to get a bottle of the K&N air filter cleaner kit. It's basically a solution that you mix with water that you can soak the filter in. Just wait till you see the solution change color with all the dirt and crap stuck inside. Dry it and then oil it with the oil dab kit that comes with the cleaning kit as well.

I wouldn't recommend washing/cleaning though, just go out and get a brand new one. That's always the best choice.

Calvo
13-10-2003, 07:55 PM
damn ben u must have a pretty dirty bum... :P

yeh buy a new one.

mo
13-10-2003, 10:11 PM
what if u clean ur flter regularing, then u wouldn't have to resort to buying a new one yea? :lol:

Civic Si
13-10-2003, 10:44 PM
what if u clean ur flter regularing, then u wouldn't have to resort to buying a new one yea? :lol:

that's da point of buyin a REUSABLE air filter! :)

then again nothing beats a brand new filter!

bennjamin
13-10-2003, 11:30 PM
damn ben u must have a pretty dirty bum... :P

yeh buy a new one.

Calvo...u would've seen my ass quite abit last cruise...when i tried to go for the "artistic shots" of our fooley sick hondas LOL

Anyway - yes. The point of this style filter is for it to be re-useable...it is guarenteed for the life of the car ! SIF chuck it out ! I mean , i guess a healthy new glow is cool , but being up inside my custom CAI , its going to get dirty quite abit, and at $76 ( every 2 months or so) id rather clean it.

K&N u say ? i think i shall check it out.

A similar effect is to cover the filter in petrol ( bathe) for 1-2 hours, soaking , then drip dry and lightly hose off. Then basically oil the top side and ur set !

ben 8)

Setanta
14-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Dunno if this helps - but I run 2 different filters alternately - a custom-made Finerfilter insert and a Jamex insert. Bothe are cleaned with dishwashing detergent and left to dry - finerfilter oil works on both and away it goes for another 10,000kms - unless I'm at Maldon/Bendigo where it gets hit by dust and cleaned when I get back to Sydney.

SiNH
20-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Are you sure the Trust filter is a reusable type?

Ive seen at Autobahn that they have the Blitz panel filter for $76, which is blue and its designed to be used once eventhough its $76.

Does your filter have a metal wire gauze covering your filter material? if so then it would be a reusable type and shouldnt have any problems using the K&N cleaning kit.

I interchange between my King Dragon and K&N and use the K&N cleaning kit to wash and reoil both.

Nothing worse than waiting for the filter to dry before using it, thats why I have 2, one is always dry and can be used straight away while the other is getting dried.

traNce_gl
20-10-2003, 03:26 PM
lol just keep ur stock air box just clean it out cople month.. and drill holes in the air box u get better air flow and few kilow watts out of it surprsingly