PDA

View Full Version : dilemma!

shortman_alan
11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
dilemma:
i am looking at buying a 3rd gen prelude.
to start i like darker colored cars, and prefer to drive manuals.

now i have been looking at 2 cars and i find that i see them both on the same level of 'goodness'.
see one has a practically new paint job in a nice color and very well kept exterior but the interior is dieing if not already dead. it is manual and has a good alarm system, lowered, and not to mention it runs very well for a car with 240k+ km on it.

the other one has a decent but not terrific white paint job and ok exterior, very well kept interior, new auto transmission and it runs externally well, soo smooth. and it only has 170k on it.

im in need of a car so i would shut up and put up with the auto as it has low km's. but on the other hand i would buy the first one without thinking twice if only it didnt have such high km's! i cant help but think that with those km's i will be buying into alot of trouble latter on even if he has taken brilliant care of it.
any problems that can happen with high k 3rd gens? which would u buy?

Drew
11-06-2007, 01:06 PM
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined or even remotely interested interested I would recommend the first one with 240k on it

Having owned a lowered manual BA4/5 Prelude before I can honestly say that it was quiet possibly the funnest car I had... It wasn't that shit hot compared to Integras but low speed tight turns are great fun

However being a 3rd Gen Prelude you will have problems with it... Even the 170k one will have problems
Also the white paint on them sucks and it's near impossible to keep them clean as they get older, pretty much have to polish it every time you wash it

Bob
13-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Given a choice go the manual.
They are getting on a bit now and will need some love and attention and $$.
Typical mechanical issues at about 300,000kms are main relay, CV joints, AC compressor, alternator, maybe a rebuild depending on how it has been maintained and driven.

There are some shockers out there.
Mine has 270,000 on it and runs like a dream. I have spent some money on it though.

Its a great car and rewarding to drive.

ilude_94
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
To be honest, i would probably keep looking. If you dont really like one a whole lot more than the other, then you shouldnt get either of them.

It took me about 6 months to find one I really wanted.

I found a little gem when i got mine, series 2 3rd gen, 133000 km's, leather interior, only downside was that it is auto. But im getting use to the auto and its great for me cause i drive in bumper to bumper traffic every day to work, so its nice to just cruise.

Good luck!

EKVTIR-T
04-07-2007, 07:09 PM
The autos are very expensive in those so may as well stick to looking for a manual.
Top car though mate,I still love them after all these years.

phily
09-07-2007, 04:24 AM
personally id keep looking. you dont get the right car when your in a hurry to buy. trust me, it happened to me. rushed into a 180sx and after 2 weeks it all turned to crap and i hated it. i shouldve looked around at other cars and test driven more.

dont get the wrong idea about the autos in the 3rd gens, they are great!
I had an auto 3rd gen, wasnt looked after well so it started slipping, not going into Reverse, 4th, eventually wouldnt go into 3rd. got the auto reconditioned with 1 yr warranty and new engine mount for $1250 all up.

considering the value of them its a fair bit. but look at it on the other hand, you'll have a 3rd gen with a trans that will last another 10-20 years. the money used in the reconditioning i got it all back, actually it added value. sold it for $5100 where i might have sold it for like 2000-2500 without the reco.

i was looking for 3 months untill the perfect 4th gen came along. VTiR, low Ks, mechanically tops, perfect colour. paint was scratched in places but it worked to my advantage and i got it for the perfect price as well.

what should you take from my rant?

1. keep looking, stake it out for a few weeks and the perfect 3rd gen might come along and make it all worthwile.

2. use faults that dont bother you to your advantage to bring down the price.