PDA

View Full Version : this isnt the alternator belt is it?

STBTCH
11-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Last weekend I was driving along the main road when my 1990 Tegs Battery light came on. I got about another 5 mins up the road and pulled around a corner to which my car just shut down, and turned off. all lights and cd player still working.

Called the RAA as it was bucketing down with rain the guy came out and without even looking said it was mny alternator belt. Checked the charge in my battery and it was full, Then magically my car started. I got 5 mins down the road heading back for home, battery light came back on. 30 seconds after I got the light I was rolling my car onto the medium strip, it had turned off again, and wouldnt restart, lights went dim and slowly went off. But then while waiting for the RAA again, my cd player turned itself on and started flickering like crazy then went off again, my keys werent in the ignition.

Had the car towed home, and now need some kind of idea of whats wrong with it!

Please help! :o

Love Dakota

dc2dc2dc2
11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
hey mate......say u were revving quite high...would the battery light go away ?

If so it could be ur alternator. I had the exact same problem. Battery light would go on unless i stayed over 4rpm revs.

STBTCH
11-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah it did at the start if I kept high revs it went away, but towards the end it didnt matter what I did, and the fact that it kept the battery fully charged was weird....

dc2dc2dc2
11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Well....i had the exact same problem. It turned out to by my alternator :)

STBTCH
11-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I guess now I just need to tow it to the mechanics.

Thankyou.

Drew
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Your alternation is dead

ECU-MAN
11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
as above

sounds like the regulator has crapped it self.

needs a recon.

Drew
11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
The regulator wouldn't cause this as it would be pumping out 12v at idle

destrukshn
12-06-2007, 08:16 AM
plus if it was your belt, there would be a very loud squeel, if it was looose.
or if it has snapped, your car ain't gonna move anywhere.

Jon_51
14-06-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm guessing there's a dropped cell in your battery
try jumpstart it. start with the easiest fix and work your way from there

destrukshn
14-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm guessing there's a dropped cell in your battery
dropped cells don't bring up the battery light though.

lilwilliam
14-06-2007, 11:32 AM
i think it could be your altenator or or altenator belt same thing happend with my da9 the whole car felt like it was loosing power. tired to roll start it started for 20 secs and turned off did the same thing the rta guy said that i needed to use his battery charger thing to keep my battery alive while i drove home. so im guessing it could be ur belt.? or simply why dont u look and see if there is a belt missing?

STBTCH
19-06-2007, 03:51 PM
there was no squealing and it does move with a jump start.

Im planning on pushing it out on the driveway tonight and taking a look.
Just a quick q that may sound dumb, I had a new CD/speakers and sub installed 2 weeks before this happened, could this be related?

Dakota