PDA

View Full Version : eg civic weight

simonnowis
12-06-2007, 09:28 AM
hi, is it true the eg civic si weighs 990kg and the vti weighs 1051kg both in manual trans?

VTi_b0i
12-06-2007, 09:39 AM
www.redbook.com.au is ur friend :) that will tell u almost everything u need to know about the dif types of cars

alan
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
redbook info ain't 100% correct

dc2dc2dc2
12-06-2007, 11:48 AM
60kg ain't gonna make that much of a difference in a 19 second car.

tRipitaka
12-06-2007, 12:13 PM
not sure whether those are the exact weights..
but the main reason why the vti is heavier is because it has a sunroof compared to no sunroof on the si

OB
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/comparespecs.php?key2=HOND93BP&key=HOND95BU

According to them not that much difference... vti 1025kg to si 1016kg

SLOWEGG
12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
60kg ain't gonna make that much of a difference in a 19 second car.

Wack on a turbo then you will be beating GTRs, NSX,Ferrari..

dc2dc2dc2
12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Im talking stock here...

I could wack a turbo on a Xcel

aimre
12-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Im talking stock here...

Seen it on George St:D:D

Zdster
12-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Im talking stock here...

:Inserts Zoolander "do it" gif here: :D

fishman
12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Vti is heaps better than SI. You only need to buy one cam shaft and cam gear after you stick on a full sick turbo.

you'll beat everyone.

simonnowis
12-06-2007, 01:39 PM
thanks guys for all the info, but im planning for a conversion to b18c7. since its n/a weight does matter alittle lol.
so without the sunroof the cars would weigh exactly the same?
im alittle confused because the gli, si, gl all weigh different and they dont have sunroof.

tRipitaka
12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
im alittle confused because the gli, si, gl all weigh different and they dont have sunroof.
they all have different engines too.. which add to the weight differences..

rear disc brakes vs. drums

bigger front brakes.. etc. it all adds up..

aimre
12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
they all have different engines too.. which add to the weight differences..

rear disc brakes vs. drums

bigger front brakes.. etc. it all adds up..

Aircon, power windows, mirrors too

tRipitaka
12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Aircon, power windows, mirrors too

the gl/gli/si all have power windows/mirrors.. aircon was an option ;)
only the breeze didn't have power windows/mirrors

dasicvtec
12-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Essentially through all the research I have done, I have come to some conclusions (this may or may not involve your question - Mine was EK Cxi/Gli vs. EG vti/si/gli)

- An EK is stiffer then a EG in cornering and general feel, but is heavier
- An EK is (comparatively) built better and stronger but is again heavier
- (Simple conclusion) EK for handling, EG for speed (For street - on track you can spot weld/roll cage and what not which will improve rigidity on both regardless)

- An EG Vti weights 1051kg (from Honda itself)
- An Ek Cxi weights 1029Kg
- A Si would weigh between 1000-1025kg
- A EG Gl weighs 1000kg and a GLI weighs 1013kg
- A Si is essentially a VTI without the sunroof and different engine (power options on both)

Basically, what I’ve gathered is that at this point in my car history (first car) it would be best to get an EG civic because it is lighter and cheaper as well as faster than the EK (I.e., if they both had a D16y1 in them)

This then asks the question what model EG do I get?

Truth is, I don’t really like the sunroof, so that leaves me with 3 options - gli/si/gl.

Difference (weight) between Carby and other models is that fact that it has a carby motor, no power options as well as some components taken out of it (I think a rear sway bar and some other things - id appreciate if someone could correct me on this.

Also, if you’re going to an EFI engine (which you are) the GL/Breeze is slightly more of a pain to engine convert into because it is (obviously) carby. One thing to note is, IMO the GLI and the GL/Breeze stripped (minimal interior/no aircon) would weigh similar if not be 10-20kg different in weight - due to mere fact that the GL has stuff taken out of it handling/engine/interior wise to make that effect.

Then we have the Si vs. the Gli. This may seem like an easy one, as the Si would munch the Gli in a race/all round, but one thing important to note is that your/as well as me - going to be changing the engine anyway, so might as well save some money and get a lower model (engine and rear brakes are different - but not much else)

So I think the best eg to get would be a GLI!!! ...Good price point, Has some creature-comfort power options (you can always take them out I.e., use a Breeze manual window door then a GLI power window door).

Hopefully this post helped as it sort of allowed me to type out my thoughts as well as (possibly :P) answer the question.

NOTE: Wherever I have gone wrong, please correct me because I’d like to know where I’m wrong so that in future I can be right-er :D

Thanks

jazcivic
12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks DASICVTEC. Good writeup.

Yes, I thought the Civic Breeze a Carby 1.3L bare bone model to stay away from.

The choice is a toss up between VTi and GLi - personal taste and value for money considered.
If on a budget, I would choose a B18B non-vtec for an upgrade, CAI with pod filter, a Prelude throttle body, higher flow injectors, mild cams and some other tweaks to jazz up a sleeper of a Civic.

simonnowis
12-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Great response DASICVTEC. rep point +.
just one thing, isnt the vti/si better then the gli for conversion in sense that they have rear disc brakes as the gli has rear drums, hence wouldnt it be easier just to upgrade front brakes.
is it difficult to upgrade the brakes to be able to match the b18c7 on the gli?

dasicvtec
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Great response DASICVTEC. rep point +.
just one thing, isnt the vti/si better then the gli for conversion in sense that they have rear disc brakes as the gli has rear drums, hence wouldnt it be easier just to upgrade front brakes.
is it difficult to upgrade the brakes to be able to match the b18c7 on the gli?

To be honest, i wouldn't know how difficult it would be to upgrade the front/rear brakes for a EG

From what i have gathered reading on here, is that the rear drum conversion is not too expensive. Ive read figures from $300-$500 so thats pretty fair.

How i feel about it is if i was to get a:

Gli - Essentially I would tinker with the engine a bit but generally leave it stock so no need for an upgrade. I would then save up for a whole conversion plus research heavily into what parts will match what and what I am able to do myself. I think that anyway with a B18C conversion you would be getting a half-cut so you already have the front brakes of an integra, and id imagine you can pickup some used rear brakes from a wrecking yard for an integra as well (EG parts are mostly interchangeable - i am not too sure about the rear brakes but i am hoping that there would some sort of OEM upgrade path for the rear brakes.

Si - You've already got them, I would still save up for a better engine and a combination of other parts as well. Essentially i will be upgrading the rear brakes anyway so rear brakes are not a concern for me.

Conclusion - I would upgrade them anyway during a conversion so dont worry about it for now, The front brakes of a GLI has decent stopping power standard (for the power output of the car)

simonnowis
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
wow, thanks heaps, that really clears everything up. lol. i would give u another rep point but it said i have to spread them around before then give you another one. lol i owe u a rep.
thanks dasicvtec

dasicvtec
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
lol no worrys dude.

Same position as you, may as well let you know, what i know :P

dc2itr
14-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah the Si is definitely the way to go given they sell for similar prices to the Gli and Vti.

I'm also finished doing my B18c conversion into my EG Civic GL. And I can tell you the GL is a pain in the ass because of the rear drums, swaybar and carby. This means full fuel tank and fuel line conversion. Also, to upgrade rear brakes you need little fiddly parts like Handbrake cable, rear axle stubs, discs and calipers. Also, because the GL never came out with a rear swaybar, the rear LCA's have no swaybar mounting holes. Requires different rear LCA's (although they are cheap unless u want billet alloy or DC2r ones). Or u can use one of the ASR braces from ozhonda traders or Beaks kits from ebay.

Another thing is the rear stub axles differ between the GL and Si models so there are some important implications if ur planning on doing a Dc2r 5 stud conversion. THe Si model has the same thickness stub axle as Dc2r but requires extra length whereas the GL is thinner and requires length aswell. But either way buying the full kit (incl. whole rear trailing arm assemblies and HB cable) should eliminate this problem.

All in all, I ended up buying a GL because I kept spending all my money on other crap an the only decent car for sale at the time was a GL. If I hadn't bought something then I probably wouldn't have wheels at all. But if your better at saving than I am, wait for a good example of an Si with decent paint and straight panels. Interior isn't that important because replacement parts are pretty common and cheap.

dc2itr
14-06-2007, 11:39 PM
anyway gdluck with the car search and let us know how your b18 plans go.