PDA

View Full Version : Ques. about Turns 1 and 2 @ Wakefield

arron
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey guy and girls..
I came back from circuit club's trackday at Wakey yesterday and remain puzzled about turns 1 and 2.. As you may or may not know, turn 1 is a little kink at the end of the straight and turn 2 is a fairly slow right-hander corner...

My question is, how do you enter that section? Ive tried many things such as:

1. brake before the kink, then accelerate a bit more, then brake hard for turn 2
2. stop accelerating before the kink, cruise through the kink and then accelerate a bit more, then brake hard for turn 2
3. accelerate through the kink and then brake hard for turn 2 (but this induces heavy braking instability due to not being able to brake in a straight line)

how does everyone else turn it? I had no idea and was always really slow through that corner and out of the vtec to pull me out of the turn as well..

I know that this will depend on what car you have but what is the general method for that corner? My car is a dc2r (just for your reference)

zerospel
12-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi

I was there too yesterday, was freezing cold :(

U can take that kink in a straight line, that way u can do a straight line braking, to do this just before u enter the kink u should be on the left lane, and cut thru the kink as a straight line, so that u end up touching the concrete patch on the right of the kink and should end up on the left hand side as u exit the kink for the braking

It looks kinda like this (|( -the brackets indicates the kink and the | is the line u take to cut thru it

i hope it makes sense, its probably not good explanation :(

zco
12-06-2007, 12:45 PM
i've seen 2 approaches from cars that go 1:12
approach one- going full speed- stay on the far left near the barriers until you reach the end of hte barrier, and turn in sharp, attacking the apex of hte kink, as soon as you reach the end of the median strip, brake hard taking you to the far left again, and then attacking the apex on the next left

approach two- tackle the first kink at full speed(as in first approach) taking the middle line, and then turn in slowly, and it will take you to the far left of the beginning of turn 2

as you exit turn 2, its a slight uphill, so gear selection is important

incoming
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
curious about this as well... i seen paul (astro) brake late and hard b4 turn 2 and i think he was in 3rd gear powering out...

i usually knock it back to 2nd and power out.. (im a wuss)

Silver-Arrowz
12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I like to keep my foot flat down and cut across the kink and end up on the left side, ready for turn 2. Ie what zerospel said.

Don't mistaken engine speed (revs) for road speed. Use the engines torque to pull you out of the corner.

I was down there on Friday and it was so could I didn't notice my boogie running into my mouth.... mmm....

incoming
12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I was down there on Friday and it was so could I didn't notice my boogie running into my mouth.... mmm....

salty? ahahaha

zco
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
curious about this as well... i seen paul (astro) brake late and hard b4 turn 2 and i think he was in 3rd gear powering out...

i usually knock it back to 2nd and power out.. (im a wuss)
paul/astro = approach 1

Chi
12-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Never go behind incoming on turn 1, ive done it a couple of times and its a 'spin out' lol !!

loco_corolla
12-06-2007, 07:02 PM
last time i went i lost it on the second corner in the 5th lap lol. Gunned it through and braked too late and ended up oversteering off the track. My car is really good at holding the corners and pulling out of them, no matter wat rev i'm at. But still my turn in sucks so thats where my car lacks. I did what most of the guys said apart from hitting the far left, i should try that next. Although my i would pick up alot more speed i might have to brake before the first kink or upgrade my brakes :S

supersamEK
12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
this a good question, because it had me puzzled for a while too.
my car aint super fast and i not super fast driver either, but i found to get my PB, i go flat chat through the kink taking a line that sets me up to be able to brake hard in straight line. when car is settled brake hard and take the corner pretty hard.
i also found i could push it through turn 2 much faster than what it feels like and so would brake even later, turning in faster. thats on semi's though..couldnt do it on street tires.
just my experience.. dunno if the fastest way..but sure felt fun lol

fatboyz39
12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Flat foot into turn 1. I use a sligshot route, longer i know BUT it sets me up correctly into turn 2 which therefore better corner speed in and out.

Benson
12-06-2007, 11:32 PM
It all depends on what car you drive. You need to adpat your driving style to suit the power and handling of each car.

For an ITR, i usually stay on the left hand side, no the far left hand side if you know what i mean, take kink 1 with 75% throttle and brake hard after the kink. Make sure you have the car balance for braking as i've seen alot of cars outbraking themselves. You need to have a stable car during braking, so make sure it straight and balance. In an ITR you should be in 4th gear, down shift into 3rd gear when braking which is after the kink. Ease through the corner and try to hit the apex on the right, exiting hitting the apex on the left. Adjust throttle through the corner when the car understeers. Once you hit the apex onthe left full throttle and rev it out. :thumbsup:

For my brothers swift, i drive that differently as we can full throttle through the kink and brake late due to the weight and brakes. Our speed is roughly 95 km/h-100km/h thorugh the 2nd corner.

arron
13-06-2007, 11:43 AM
It all depends on what car you drive. You need to adpat your driving style to suit the power and handling of each car.

For an ITR, i usually stay on the left hand side, no the far left hand side if you know what i mean, take kink 1 with 75% throttle and brake hard after the kink. Make sure you have the car balance for braking as i've seen alot of cars outbraking themselves. You need to have a stable car during braking, so make sure it straight and balance. In an ITR you should be in 4th gear, down shift into 3rd gear when braking which is after the kink. Ease through the corner and try to hit the apex on the right, exiting hitting the apex on the left. Adjust throttle through the corner when the car understeers. Once you hit the apex onthe left full throttle and rev it out. :thumbsup:

For my brothers swift, i drive that differently as we can full throttle through the kink and brake late due to the weight and brakes. Our speed is roughly 95 km/h-100km/h thorugh the 2nd corner.

hey benson, just some clarifying... do I hit the apex of the kink or go down the middle of the road? I might give this a go next trackday, as I fell out of vtec through turn 2 and had no power out of it.. lol.. i'd have to sit in 3rd gear waiting for vtec to hit when going up the hill.. lol.. must have braked too much as well as taken a crap approach into turn 2..

Benson
13-06-2007, 02:34 PM
i usually stay in the stay left and move to the middle thru kink 1. Im gonig to the trackday so i can give you some pointers.

jdmTYPE R
13-06-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.circuit-club.com/The%20Circuit/The%20Circuit%20-%20Issue2.pdf

here some tips u can read on

arron
14-06-2007, 12:33 AM
i usually stay in the stay left and move to the middle thru kink 1. Im gonig to the trackday so i can give you some pointers.

sounds sweet.. ill come find you if i remember! hehe.. mite ask others who know how to drive, to jump in my car and give me advice through the circuit..

jdmTYPE R
14-06-2007, 07:07 PM
best thing if u wanna learn follow a good driver and get his lines and braking points

.::F[L]Y::.
14-06-2007, 07:15 PM
best thing if u wanna learn follow a good driver and get his lines and braking points

man, thats if you can keep up :(

i tried to do that with paul LOL

jdmTYPE R
14-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Y::.;1215205']man, thats if you can keep up :(

i tried to do that with paul LOL
hahaha i court him...:thumbsup:

StrawberryFace
15-06-2007, 10:38 PM
watch formula 1 or infact any other racing series. you learn ALOT from watching them. trust me.

arron
16-06-2007, 12:44 AM
watch formula 1 or infact any other racing series. you learn ALOT from watching them. trust me.

Lol, I watch every F1 and GP... watching how the pros do it helps for general racing, but didn't really help me last week at turns 1 and 2 @ wakefield... Lol... I have learnt alot about those turns so I'll see how I go next month..

:angel:

wynode
16-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Even better to ask someone with a bit of experiance (their lap time is generally a good indicator) if you can jump in their car as a passenger for one of the first session. You'll learn a lot.

In my Si I used to go flat out through the first kink at the end of the straight. Took me a few gos to get the balls to do it though (dodgy sussy :p).

tinkerbell
17-06-2007, 11:27 AM
after a few laps i do no. 3

but it requires confidence in my car and some large testicles...

Zilli
17-06-2007, 01:17 PM
i your right tinks

when i went it was wet so i didnt really hav that much of a chance to go flat chat in general. I had a couple of dry laps but by the that stage i was getting some really bad shakes as i ws braking. In general i didnt feel the confidence to go through turn one. It was however my first time and the weather and the brakes issue was a problem.

I was trying my hardest to come in as straight as possible to ensure the stability, but even then i found that my braking points were off, and i was unsettling the car when i wnt to turn into corner 2, probably because i wasnt pulling up properly, and the shakes were making the car really unstable in the rear.

enkay
19-06-2007, 09:20 PM
hmm well with my euro i just go hard past 1st kink then as soon as im straight brake hard gear down and then turn hehe =D
but yer.. go circuitclub ;D

tinkerbell
19-06-2007, 10:08 PM
i am not sure the euro gets as much speed up as a type r, but depends if the euro is still stock?

arron
19-06-2007, 10:58 PM
hey tinkerbell, you wouldn't know the speed that a stock dc2r may reach before the kink would you? I don't see how this will affect my driving at wakefield but would just like to know for trivial purposes.. :)

fatboyz39
20-06-2007, 07:39 AM
i would say around 160-170km/hr depending how you get out of the last corner.

enkay
27-06-2007, 12:30 PM
mine onli gets up to round 140 hehe super slow stock euro, but its fun to drive

aaronng
27-06-2007, 10:48 PM
mine onli gets up to round 140 hehe super slow stock euro, but its fun to drive

Fun but frustrating when you can't even apply 1/4 throttle coming out of the last corner as you will spin the inner wheel.

What time did you get?

tinkerbell
28-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Fun but frustrating when you can't even apply 1/4 throttle coming out of the last corner as you will spin the inner wheel.

What time did you get?

huh? doesnt VSA stop that?

my mate in 05 euro on RE55S with eibach springs and Endless pads got heaps of 1:17's and one 1:16.8 on a good day down there... with VSA on.

arron - dunno mate, never driven a stock Type R...

i hit 175 in a modified Integra after the kink, so maybe 155-160 before the kink in a stock one?

BTW - the only wqay i know is that PowerFC tells me Vmax, and that is the fastest point of th track.

i am usually too busy driving to look down at the speedo - you shoudl eb too!

arron
28-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Lol, yeah.. i was too busy looking at the circuit as well.. no time to even glance at the speedo... I was just wondering about the top speed on that straight..

aaronng
28-06-2007, 02:06 PM
huh? doesnt VSA stop that?

my mate in 05 euro on RE55S with eibach springs and Endless pads got heaps of 1:17's and one 1:16.8 on a good day down there... with VSA on.

VSA just cuts power. Doesn't really work as well as a real LSD. Plus the RE55S would have helped a lot, since I was running the crap stock dunlops (and stock everything else).

enkay
30-06-2007, 09:33 AM

What time did you get?

im not sure wat wat time i got cos i didnt have timing (was brothers trackday and i got on for free and were no timing devices left) but i had semislicks on my stock 16s so that made a difference hehe