PDA

View Full Version : Da9 integra help plz no spark :(

xristo
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
hey guys my integra is having a problem and was curious to know if youse would be able to help.....

the car is not producing any spark , iv used the test light on all the connectors to the dizzy and seems as tho power is getting to it but still no spark , now im thinking maybe the points in the cap have worn down too much? but then again the car starts whenever it feels like it say once every 2-3 days and after is starts if u turn it off it wont turn back on...i wanted to swap the dizzy off my gf's 93 da9 integra BUT its a totally different distributor but is ecactly the same engine?

anyway suggestions or something to help would be appreciated:thumbsup:

Mr_will
12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
it is ALMOST exactly the same engine haha.

yours is obd0 and hers is obd1, you got stuck with 10 fewer HP and an earlier model ECU. i was under the impression that only the intake manifold and ecu's were different but from what youve said the dizzy is also.

have you changed the plugs yet? if not, do that first as its cheap and it eliminates another thing from your problem solving:)

xristo
12-06-2007, 04:03 PM
dam :p horse power doesnt worry me as my car is bored out with forged internals and other work id pretty much rip her to shreds but youve answered my question thanks for that , plugs i dont think is the problem cos there is no spark coming from the leads at all but i have changed the leads and tested for 12v on the connectors in the dizzy and it lights up so im pretty confused , it may be alarm related ?

LO_N_SXC
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
check your Coil, it sits inside the dizzy, once you take of the cap you should see a black box above the dizzy rotor........

lilwilliam
13-06-2007, 07:27 PM
spark plugs could be dirty and need replacing? or is there no spark actually going to the plugs?

Drew
13-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd say your dizzy is shot

Reco'd ones are probably going to see you back around $300

SINISTR
13-06-2007, 09:02 PM
if you checked the dizzy wires and there is electrical current going there you're 1 step closer to finding the issue. I'd remove the plugs one by one, place them on top of your rocker cover with the lead connected - making sure the spark plug touches the cover but has a small gap between the point and the rocker cover. Have someone else crank the engine over and check for a spark between the tip of your electrode and rocker cover.
If you can't see a spark - that lead is shot and needs replacing. Also replace spark plugs.

If you have a spark there *and i suspect you will* - im putting it 99.99% you have something up with your fuel system, either the regulator OR quiet commonly a fuel pump relay could be shot. When you turn the key over, can you hear the fuel pump prime? you should hear like a zzzzzzzzz when your PGM-FI light comes on and then stop once your PGM-FI light goes off. If you can't hear your fuel pump you might have to remove the rear seat to hear better then 1: your relay is gone 2: your fuel pump is acting up. Im putting it more towards your relay - its an intermittent fault they seem to develop over the years.

Give that a go...

Mr_will
14-06-2007, 02:01 AM
i reckon SINISTR is on the money...

more specifically with the fuel pump relay you need to hear a CLICK at the end, after it has primed.

if it is quiet, esp if you are in a garage it is very audible and you shouldnt need to remove your rear seats (maybe mine is just louder, i dont know)

as he said its a very very common issue on da9's, however i dont see how it would result in no spark. usually with this problem you CAN get it started, it just doesnt keep running

LiL FiLo
15-06-2007, 01:31 AM
could even be ignition coil, if didnt get spark from any of you leads, id say it would be the coil which are only bout $80 for a bosch one, if you got spark from at least one of the leads it could be dizzy or rotor cap.

Take off rotor cap and clean points that connects to ignition leads with contact cleaner. Generally the white film from acring from rotor will cause some cylinders not to fire

SINISTR
15-06-2007, 01:52 PM
are you SURE there is no spark at the plug? did you perform the test i described above?

Do that test to eliminate any possibility its got no spark...

xristo
16-06-2007, 07:43 PM
no spark at all from any lead , but it starts sometimes thats what is tripping me out

SINISTR
17-06-2007, 03:28 AM
How old are the leads? if they are old the resistance could be off and hence no spark.

LiL FiLo
17-06-2007, 01:25 PM
try new leads, and check ignition coil because sometimes they can intermitently not work, if you take the dizzy cap off, smell for any electrical burn

spanks
19-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Check the ignitor.The easiest way to tell,if you crank over and the tacho does not read,then you know you need a new one. They often give intermittent faults or play up when they are hot.It is mounted inside the dizzy next to the coil.3 wires on top and 1 wire on the side.

xristo
19-06-2007, 01:02 PM
thanks for all the info guys your too nice :D

its really hard to explain , some days it will start some days it wont , i have changed the leads and the problem still continues so thats whats making me think the coil or dizzy but still why does it start sometimes? then when i do start it im scared to drive anywhere cos when i switch it off it wont start again until it wants to lol.

another quick question , i did something pretty stupid just before all this was happening and i should have mentioned it... i was changing my pod filter with the car on and the spanner i was using touched + and - then the car stalled and wouldn start for a minute or two then she cranked but iv noticed the problem has come on since this..and i spoke to a sparky and he said that if that happens you can get + spikes going throigh the ecu causing it to play up and maybe i need a new ecu? Youse think maybe reset the ecu , i haven tried cos i dunno how...

oh and btw my ecu light is always on how do i check for codes?

lol thanks for your answers guys its a huge help :)

xristo
19-06-2007, 01:46 PM
just checked my ecu codes and its flashing 6 x short ??????

edit: is this the code? ... 6 ECT - water temperature sensor

RCS 20L
19-06-2007, 02:39 PM
The ecu is fused.. if any one of your sensors might be gone... check crank angle sensor.. when that plays up sometimes cant start.
If you think its the Dizzy.. Take it out and head down to Hannys! they got a machine that can test it. Somtimes the igniter or coil die! Good luck yo!

xristo
19-06-2007, 03:50 PM
thanks yo!

EK4R
19-06-2007, 03:58 PM
your problem sounds like mine. you could have a read.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64699

anyways i find out my dizzy was shorting at the ignition coil. i was getting no spark however but i was getting power out of my distributor.

hope it helps

xristo
19-06-2007, 04:16 PM
hmm thanks for that champ ill give it a read :)

xristo
11-08-2007, 03:59 PM
hey guys well no progression as yet i still cant start the car , i have changed :
*leads
*dizzy
*plugs
*battery

i have been told the coil is inside of the dizzy so it cant be that as i chanegd it , is the ignitor a seperate item or is just another name for coil?

EK4R
16-08-2007, 05:48 PM
hey guys well no progression as yet i still cant start the car , i have changed :
*leads
*dizzy
*plugs
*battery

i have been told the coil is inside of the dizzy so it cant be that as i chanegd it , is the ignitor a seperate item or is just another name for coil?

my problem was the ignition coil inside. it was fine, but it was shorting somewhere. so it wouldnt fully spark.

so maybe get a new one and try that.

Jon_51
17-08-2007, 09:27 AM
do you get any spark when your main fuel relay is playing up?
*edited typo