PDA

View Full Version : I'm still Civic hunting

turkeywing
13-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Saw this in today's Melbourne Trading Post.

What do yous reckon? Seems a lot of money for a 10 year old car with 123,000kms on the clock. But its similarly priced to other Civics in the newspaper. And dont get me started on car yard prices and online car sales places, even higher.

I assume this car has a fuel injected motor and driver side airbag (as Redwing lists) but seller doesnt mention it.

[snip]

HONDA CIVIC SI 1993 FWD White, sedan 1.6ltr 123000kms, 5 spd manual, pwr winodws, central locking, alarm, Kenwood CD player, engine immobiliser, alloy wheels, RWC, Reg 07/04, immaculate condition inside and out EC $10700ono

[snip]

vti-2
13-10-2003, 06:41 PM
As long as it's had regular servicing (service books a bonus) and you are happy with the condition you will always be able to bargain the price down. Especially if you really want the car!

Offer them $9000 cash and see what they say. I'm sure if they don't drop that low you will still be able to get a damn good deal.

By the way - you can always tell if they are desperate to sell, if you make a decent offer for cash they will jump at it and then you know you are in the best position. ;)

turkeywing
13-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks vti-2

But I've been thinking about it and even $9000 seems too much for a car over 10 years old with so many kilometres on it.

I often wonder whether the people asking so much money for their used Hondas actually get anywhere near their price.

cheers
TurkeyWing
(getting depressed, may have to buy a Getz)

vti-2
13-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Call them and find out what they've been offered. Maybe even suggest a price and see what they say. It won't hurt. :)

Or, the other option is to wait and not rush it!

wynode
13-10-2003, 07:35 PM
If it helps you at all, I got my Si with around 128K on the clock for 10K. That included 16" alloys and overall in very good condition.

The going rate at that time was more than 10K (easily) for that car.

Weq
13-10-2003, 08:21 PM
128k on a 10 year old car is quite good imo. i Bagged my 94' model with ~127k on the clock for $11.5k in march, from a sticker price of 13.5k. Condition is all that maters really, honda's are built to last. That said, ive heard of '94 Vti AUTO's going for around $9k with 110K on the clock, so i am thinking that the manuals are more sought after. Maybe wynode can give u some pointers on what to look for with the Si, if i remmber correctly, he had a nasty gearbox problem with his, and probably can tell u exactly where to look for niggles.

turkeywing
13-10-2003, 08:25 PM
128k on a 10 year old car is quite good imo. i Bagged my 94' model with ~127k on the clock for $11.5k in march, from a sticker price of 13.5k. Condition is all that maters really, honda's are built to last. That said, ive heard of '94 Vti AUTO's going for around $9k with 110K on the clock, so i am thinking that the manuals are more sought after. Maybe wynode can give u some pointers on what to look for with the Si, if i remmber correctly, he had a nasty gearbox problem with his, and probably can tell u exactly where to look for niggles.

I'd really appreciate that guys.

I drove a '94 Civic Si last week and it drove nice but the clutch felt a bit weird. It took up much higher than in my '89 GL hatch and on some changes sounded like it was slipping a bit but the seller assured me it was fine.

Weq
13-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Ask him to show u receipts/a log of the clutch being replace as they run out off puff at the 100-120K mark. Mine was logbooked as being replaced at 123K. This is where logbooks come in handy, people usually just say 'oh, that car has logbooks, it must be in good condition', which is the wrong attitude.

When test driving, by all means let it warm up and take it to redline in the first couple of gears. See how gearchanges feel, the box should be quite smooth with no crunching.. If the owner gives u any crap, just say 'do u want me to buy the car or not, these engines are designed to be revved'.My mate had this problem with he was looking at preludes. Most of the sellers were old ladys who have never heard the sound of vtec :)

wynode
13-10-2003, 08:36 PM
When I bought the car it had no log books, but was in good nick (except for the gearbox).

Never believe what the owner says.

The biggest problem I had with the car was the gearbox. 1st and 3rd synchros were on their way out and it needed a new clutch. All up it cost me around 2K including a Daiken sports clutch and a gearbox rebuild. If I knew at the time, i would have gone for a 2nd hand box and save myself some $$$.

Be weary of the gearbox. Take it for a good run and go up the gears at high RPM, and then come down the gears also to bring out any faults in the box.

Also note, when the box is cold its a bit catch/doesn't egnage into 2nd. This is normal. When its warm, should go in without any problem.

As for the clutch, mine doesn't take up till the very end either. That's normal. Just check the clutch to see if its worn, and use this to bargain the price down (if it is worn).

A'PEXi
13-10-2003, 10:10 PM
bit expensive imo.

Setanta
14-10-2003, 12:08 AM
Far too expensive - 8K tops and it'd have to be immaculate for me to not walk away laughing. KMs mean nothing - my SiR has 254K on the original motor and its still going strong.

kimbi
14-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Thats true, an engine can take many more Kms on it than a little over 110,000 and if youre really worried you can always to a rebuild/recondition.

10K definetly seems alot (try for less!!) but the plus side is that getting a car more that 5yrs old (in this case 10) means its already droped the most in value it ever will. You should maybe look for the Si in the 95 model, it would probably be the same price.

wynode
14-10-2003, 11:27 AM
The vti and Si are similar in price, and i'm sure Weq would agree with me here, that you are hard pressed to find a good si or vti for 8K. We know because we own such cars and they DO hold their value.

Sadly, the si was only release between 1991-1993 and the SOHC VTEC in the vti was only there untill aboutg 1994.

Weq
16-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Yer, i wouldnt touch a 8K Vti/Si. Redbook is always ur best guide to what to offer. Put it this way, if its meets all the criteria, i certainly wouldnt SELL my car for less the redbook value. That said, the trade-in value is also a good if u are buying from dealer as its what they would usualy pay for such a car.

I was a bit skeptical with my car, the dealer had a very hard time selling it, and apparently it went to auction without luck. No wonder i say, when its very cold i can see the selling price they had it for (on the windscreen) $18K! whoa.

wynode
16-10-2003, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't get second hand prices from those sites. They can be VERY misleading.

Have a browse through the trading post and see how much similar cars, with similar KMs are going for. That's the real world, and your most accurate estimate.

turkeywing
16-10-2003, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't get second hand prices from those sites. They can be VERY misleading.

Have a browse through the trading post and see how much similar cars, with similar KMs are going for. That's the real world, and your most accurate estimate.

I agree with that.

Dont know why but Redbook (redbook.com.au) values always seem quite a bit lower than real world prices.

But taking printouts of relevant pages of it when out buying doesn't hurt :D

Weq
16-10-2003, 11:33 AM

True that, but real companys, like nrma inusrance and dealers use the information on redbook (they all come from a similiar database) for determing current values of cars. That said, market demand and other factors determine the private market greatly so tradingpost is always a good reinforcer.

Setanta
16-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Another thing to remember is that just because someone asks for 10K in the Trading Post etc, it doesn't necessarily mean that it sells for that much.

eknine
16-10-2003, 03:51 PM
well the redbook is only a guide...but if you meet with a seller who knows what that particular car can do, he would already firm up his mind..unless you have a really good negoitator who also know as much if not more abt that particular car that you want.

otherwise, then chances you will meet with 3 types of seller...someone who is eager and don't know jack shit and willing to settle for less or
someone eager but know quite a bit...or someone just wanna to sell to the "right" owner and know too much:o)

and depends on what car and on most of my private buy, i bring down an appropriate driver, one decent looking bloke who can fang the car if its a performance car...it like give the seller a heartattack first and then negoitate(this shows that you know what you are looking..and less than often they won't punk on you) ...coz they will want to sell after they know what you did to a car..one time is good enough for most... or i bring another type of driver...better not go on..

anyway there are also many reason to sell, i look for the most obvious...if he is not moving elsewhere or have a baby..everything is bullshit.

if its private sale...also look at the condition of the driveway..oil stains give the telltalle...gees shldn't be saying too much to for any seller to pick up signs.

thats all....g'luck

skoota
16-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Hey,

Hondas generally hold their value really well -and you are definitely be hard pressed to find a decent new Honda for 8k. I reckon if you can get it for 9k you have done pretty well. That is if it's in good nick and has been looked after of course - get someone to go over it - will cost you about $200 but is really worth it! Hope that helps - didn't read all the messages so might be repeating what others are saying...

jay-bee'z
17-10-2003, 11:44 AM
bring down an appropriate driver, one decent looking bloke who can fang the car if its a performance car...it like give the seller a heartattack first and then negoitate(this shows that you know what you are looking..and less than often they won't punk on you) ...coz they will want to sell after they know what you did to a car..one time is good enough for most... or i bring another type of driver...

hahaha, yeah i know the feeling...i test drove some private sellers integra and flattened it, the old lady owner never done that before and was all shocked n' stuff, lol the look on her face, hahaha, poor lady.. oh well u gotta do what u gotta do ay..

sorry, back to topic

turkeywing
17-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Speaking of funny looks on faces, has everybody seen the video of the ad with the old married couple driving apparently being shown overseas as part of something called AntiBoredom Week ?

Pretty funny :)

If anybody wants to see it drop me a line and I'll send it or maybe I can put it up here somewhere.

eknine
17-10-2003, 01:48 PM
bring down an appropriate driver, one decent looking bloke who can fang the car if its a performance car...it like give the seller a heartattack first and then negoitate(this shows that you know what you are looking..and less than often they won't punk on you) ...coz they will want to sell after they know what you did to a car..one time is good enough for most... or i bring another type of driver...

hahaha, yeah i know the feeling...i test drove some private sellers integra and flattened it, the old lady owner never done that before and was all shocked n' stuff, lol the look on her face, hahaha, poor lady.. oh well u gotta do what u gotta do ay..

sorry, back to topic

:) :thumbsup:

turkeywing
21-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Still hunting :)

Anybody in Melbourne selling their Civic?