PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp high even after the cooler !!!

kimo
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I have just installed B&M oil cooler in my car. Today I took the car for a ride and found out at normal driving it will hit 212, and if I drive like hard for 2 minutes it will hit 248 and the red light on my oil temp gauge will flash. How come that the temp raises if I have cooler, is that because I have normal engine oil. 80% of the cooler is installed behind the low down where ther is opening at the bumper where it can get more airflow. I was thinking maybe because I have small hole grill infront of the bumper to protect the AC and radiator from rocks, that it restrict the air flow, or because the remain 20% of the cooler is behind the bumper and doesn't reach any air.

bennjamin
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
a cooler with no airflow will be the almost the same as a stock engines oil flow .But any open area will dissipate heat ( and cool the liquid inside)
Did you adjust your oil pressure to compensate for the extra oil volume in the cooler + extra lines ?

aaronng
12-06-2007, 11:21 PM
You either have too much pressure loss after installing the oil cooler, or even more likely, there is an air bubble stopping flow in your oil cooler (radiator and line).

BTW, I assume 212 and 248 are in Fahrenheit? If so, 248 F isn't enough to trigger the high oil temp light. That light is probably the oil pressure light.

kimo
13-06-2007, 02:30 AM
There is about 80% airflow to it.
No I didn't adjust my oil pressure, so why you need that, if the lines aren't that long.

a cooler with no airflow will be the almost the same as a stock engines oil flow .But any open area will dissipate heat ( and cool the liquid inside)
Did you adjust your oil pressure to compensate for the extra oil volume in the cooler + extra lines ?

bennjamin
13-06-2007, 08:14 AM
There is about 80% airflow to it.
No I didn't adjust my oil pressure, so why you need that, if the lines aren't that long.

ANY increase in oil volume needs you to adjust the oil pressure.
Basically there is X amount of displacement of oil to compensate for ( the lines , and the cooler all add up)

kimo
13-06-2007, 04:53 PM
The increase is little.

Basically there is X amount of displacement of oil to compensate for ( the lines , and the cooler all add up)

DLO01
13-06-2007, 05:52 PM
While I am not familiar with the Jazz motor, 100C (212F) is quite normal for general street driving without a cooler aid. In saying that, a cooler will only decrease temps even if the cooler is in a place of restricted airflow, because of increased surface area and oil heat transfer though the metal core.

Questions:
What were normal oil temps before the cooler?
Is the cooler installed correctly?
Do you know for sure there is oil flow through the cooler?
Is the cooler installed with a sandwich plate?

Appart from that:
How big is the cooler?
What size hoses?

The increase is little.

And how do you know this? Have you got a oil pressure gauge? My 10 row trust cooler drops 10psi from one side to the other. Without increasing oil pressure you 'can' do harm to your motor.

kimo
13-06-2007, 09:18 PM
100c that is with cooler. I didn't install the temp gauge only after I installed the cooler. Install is ok 80% of it has air flow on it. I am surre there is oil flow.
Yes with sandwish plate. the size is small like 4.5" tall, 11" wide and 1.5" thick.
How do you increase the pressure.

While I am not familiar with the Jazz motor, 100C (212F) is quite normal for general street driving without a cooler aid. In saying that, a cooler will only decrease temps even if the cooler is in a place of restricted airflow, because of increased surface area and oil heat transfer though the metal core.

Questions:
What were normal oil temps before the cooler?
Is the cooler installed correctly?
Do you know for sure there is oil flow through the cooler?
Is the cooler installed with a sandwich plate?

Appart from that:
How big is the cooler?
What size hoses?

And how do you know this? Have you got a oil pressure gauge? My 10 row trust cooler drops 10psi from one side to the other. Without increasing oil pressure you 'can' do harm to your motor.

Drew
13-06-2007, 10:41 PM
How about you check to see if the oil light isn't signaling oil pressure; not oil temperature

248F isn't all that hot considering that you are thrashing your car
Keeping in mind that it's only 120C

I mean how did you come to the conclusion that your oil is too hot in the first place?

There is a DIY for increasing oil pressure in the DIY section... Within the first 3 pages

DLO01
14-06-2007, 06:17 AM
100c that is with cooler. I didn't install the temp gauge only after I installed the cooler. Install is ok 80% of it has air flow on it. I am surre there is oil flow.
Yes with sandwish plate. the size is small like 4.5" tall, 11" wide and 1.5" thick.
How do you increase the pressure.

This is how to increase you oil pressure. Its for a B series motor, but would have thought its a simular arrangement for you.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47308

In regard to temps again. Even if you give the car a couple of full throttle applications the oil temp will rise. And while again I am not sure about typical temps for the Jazz I think your findings are quite normal.

DLO01
14-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Should have asked you this before:

Where is your Oil Temp sensor pumbed in???

In sump?

In sandwhich plate? Which side, before or after cooler?

kimo
14-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Because the sensor is made for temp not pressure. In the gauge the red zone starts from 120-150.

How about you check to see if the oil light isn't signaling oil pressure; not oil temperature

I mean how did you come to the conclusion that your oil is too hot in the first place?

There is a DIY for increasing oil pressure in the DIY section... Within the first 3 pages

kimo
14-06-2007, 07:53 AM
It's in the sandwish plate. I don't think matters which saide, and the sandwish is always before the cooler.

Should have asked you this before:

Where is your Oil Temp sensor pumbed in???

In sump?

In sandwhich plate? Which side, before or after cooler?

bennjamin
14-06-2007, 07:57 AM
before the cooler ? that is hotter oil going in , what is the point of measuring that temp lol.

The sandwhich plate has 1 exit 1 entry , where the temp is measured from. Not on the outlet but the inlet ( oil coming back on from the cooler)

DLO01
14-06-2007, 12:31 PM
It's in the sandwish plate. I don't think matters which saide, and the sandwish is always before the cooler.

You must have oil out and oil in from your sandwhich plate. On this Grex sandwich plate below one sensor port is on the out going side (before cooler) and the other port is on the incomming side (after cooler)

Depending on which side you put your sensors depends on what Temp you read (cooled or uncooled) or (pressue going out or pressure comming in)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00776.jpg

bennjamin
14-06-2007, 04:46 PM
No wonder , he put the pipes on backwards ;)

Dude , make sure and follow both the hoses to the cooler and back again , to clarify what side the temp sensor is on. Its almost useless on the outlet side

kimo
15-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Maybe this is the problem, so how do I know which is before and after the cooler.

You must have oil out and oil in from your sandwhich plate. On this Grex sandwich plate below one sensor port is on the out going side (before cooler) and the other port is on the incomming side (after cooler)

Depending on which side you put your sensors depends on what Temp you read (cooled or uncooled) or (pressue going out or pressure comming in)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00776.jpg

kimo
15-06-2007, 06:45 PM
How come some oil temp gauge start from 50-150 and mine is from 50-130, and saw in a magazine a car that has 125c temp in his car while 120c in my gauge consider hot.

DLO01
15-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe this is the problem, so how do I know which is before and after the cooler.

What make sandwich plate?

The only way to know is to physically look at the Plate.

Normal Direction of Oil flow is: engine > outside of filter > inside of filter > distribute through motor.

So therefore using the above photo flow is from engine, through the right outlet of Plate, through cooler back in left outlet, then through filter and down the center of the filter to distribute through the motor.

The sensor ports (hidden behind, you can just make out one) The right one is oil before the cooler (not cooled) and the left one is after cooler (cooled)

kimo
18-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Found out now the sensor was in the wrong hole. Now my temp is like 90 and if I drive real hard can reach 110.

LSD GD3
18-06-2007, 03:09 PM
nice to know you fixed i was about to install my myself .. hahaha thx for the info:wave:

DLO01
18-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Found out now the sensor was in the wrong hole. Now my temp is like 90 and if I drive real hard can reach 110.

Well done man. Good you have sorted it out. :cool:

Thats the problem with those plates, theres a sensor hole before the cooler and the other after the cooler.

Where is good to know Temp going in to the motor and Pressure going in to the motor, ie both after cooler.

Solution to this is to use a "T" peice. So you can have your Temp and Pressure sensor in the same port. :thumbsup:

tinkerbell
18-06-2007, 09:44 PM

wtf? what on earth would you call "too hot" then?!?!

and for you guys going on about "measuring pre-cooled oil is pointless"

WTF???

i have my sensor in the SUMP - i measure my oil at its hotest!

NOT after i have cooled it?

i should neg rep all of you... including you benjammin!

tinkerbell
18-06-2007, 09:50 PM

did you do the install?

if so - i hope you got it right! :eek:

however - if you didnt do it right, you would have a dead engine by now, so i guess it is correct...

kimo
18-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Not me but have done it right this time.

did you do the install?

if so - i hope you got it right! :eek:

however - if you didnt do it right, you would have a dead engine by now, so i guess it is correct...

kimo
18-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I found out that the temp is like 90c in a weather of 34c at the speed of 90-100kph, and if I drive like 100-120kph it will hit 100c and stay there and if I floor it and drive hard it will go up to 120c, so I think oil cooler is important, if you drive hard, and in hot weather.

BlitZ
18-06-2007, 11:34 PM
the question you should ask yourself is why it is overheating on street driving std. At best it will mask somthing more synister

LSD GD3
18-06-2007, 11:41 PM
the question you should ask yourself is why it is overheating on street driving std. At best it will mask somthing more synister

and nothing to do with how fast you going but how hight rev you reving up the little jazz

kimo
19-06-2007, 01:12 AM
It's not overheating. The red temp is 120 and I didn't reach that.

kimo
19-06-2007, 01:13 AM
If you go fast then you rev is up. I have CVT so when I floor it it's 6k all the time.

and nothing to do with how fast you going but how hight rev you reving up the little jazz

LSD GD3
19-06-2007, 01:17 AM
If you go fast then you rev is up. I have CVT so when I floor it it's 6k all the time.

but faster you go more wind to cool down ...

if you going on Highway doing 110km/h on a flat road unless you wants to go quicker otherwise you not in a very high rev range and the wind is cooling it very quick... so you would not heat up much

kimo
19-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Wrong because also my water temp raises if I go fast and high rev and also wind hitting the radiator.

but faster you go more wind to cool down ...

if you going on Highway doing 110km/h on a flat road unless you wants to go quicker otherwise you not in a very high rev range and the wind is cooling it very quick... so you would not heat up much

tinkerbell
19-06-2007, 09:36 AM
do any of the people commenting in this thread even have half an idea or are they just guessing/making it up?

kimi - here are my thoughts:

1. you should be measuring the oil at it's hottest.
2. the reason we care about oil temperature is that it 'breaks down*' above around 130'C and risk of bearing failure is increased
3. heat relates to load, not speed.
4. if you ARE seeing 120'c oil temp with YOUR driving style - you NEED and oil cooler for relaibility.

* depending on oil brand/quality/properties/age

DLO01
19-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes, Tink is right. The right/proper temp should be taken at its hottest, ie in the sump. I spose I am a bit swayed in thinking because I have a remote filter with the Temp/Pressure in that mount and it is after the cooler as I want to see my pressue going in to the motor.