PDA

View Full Version : An easier way to change springs???

Dominik
09-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi guys, the other day i bought some lowered springs for my Accord which i intend to install myself. Now, i've done this before, and i remember the hardest part was making sure the top of the strut didnt fly off when you undo the bolt at the top (last time the springs were lowered to start with, so there wasnt much pressure holding the top on).

Looking at some of the tutorials on AccordRacing.com, they suggest loosening that nut on the top of the shock FIRST, before removing the strut. That got me thinking... Why not remove the nut all together while the strut is still bolted in place? The weight of the car will keep the springs compressed, so no danger of anything flying anywhere.

Then you could just jack the car up, at which point the springs would be uncompressed and the shock/spring would most likely just fall loose. Then simply undo the lower part of the strut (from the control arm etc) and pull the assembly out that way.

I think reassembing will be a bit more difficult because you have to reassemble in the cramped confines of the wheel arch. Spring compression wont be an issue because the springs i bought will not need to be compressed when i am installing them (very low)

Would this work? Any comments??

[[d a n n y]]
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
it's best to remove the shocks as well

u can leave the shocks in place remove stock springs and put in your new 1's

but this will b very hard as u have little room to use your tools..

so it's best to take the whole thing out

only takes like 1hr max for all four corners

luzinit
09-07-2004, 09:39 PM
1hr max.. fk u work quick man.. i say budget 5hrs.. haha

ECU-MAN
09-07-2004, 09:46 PM
springs are a peice of cake on most Honda's. You gota be pretty brave to even think of undoing that strut bolt with the strut out of the car ( suiside ) or even in the car.. spring compressors are only like $29.99 from Supa cheep. safty 1st.

poid
10-07-2004, 10:30 AM
just be on the safe side and use a compressor to remove them. Putting the new ones in is easy as they arent captive

Boost
10-07-2004, 11:01 AM
are u guys doing this without the spring compressor???? CRAZY STUFF... U will need the spring compressor to compress the springs.. like [acronym:803f76c7a0="Engine Control Unit"]ECU[/acronym:803f76c7a0]-MAN has said.. they are cheap and makes life easier and safer to perform the change. Good luck.

poid
10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
you can do it easily and safely without spring compressors, but you need to know what you are doing.

ECU-MAN
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM
still its dangerous, dont try explaining it to a nubie, you never know there physical or mental capacity and they will get hurt if somthing goes wrong. Every differnt model car is different, from all manufactures , once someone thinks its a peice of cake on a civic they try it on a differnet type car maybey with differnet suspention they could get hurt. safety is vey important when working on cars. they may seem simple and the obvoius dangers may stck out, but I have seen may mechanics who did know better hurt them selfs by taking short cuts. not to mention how many times actual damage to customers cars has occured. unless you know what your doing and have done it before, do it the right way and the safe way. you can alwys fix a bent pannel but it may be a little harder to fix your hand or eye.

poid
10-07-2004, 11:36 AM
thats exactly right, which is why there is no explanation on how to do such things offered here :)

Just reading again what you have wrote dom, the issue is see with loosening them completely while they are still in the car is that then it will be extremely hard to get them out from under the wheel arch when everything is uncompressed

Dominik
10-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Good point Poid... And just for clarification, i thought it might save me trying to organise spring compressors (and some time) - but if my idea was just crazy (which it looks like it is!!!) then i'll just go out and get them. Even though Poid explained to me how to do it without spring compressors (at the Accord Cruise), i just wouldnt trust myself. I would either injure myself, my friends, or my car.

Thanks for the comments guys! Oh, and it was a Civic that i had done the springs on last time ;).

egSi
15-07-2004, 08:16 AM
you can do it easily and safely without spring compressors, but you need to know what you are doing.

i did mine like last week without spring compressors, fukn funny shit.
aim it at the wall and look away
hahahahaha :lol:

Boost
17-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Just be careful when doing it without compressors guys, thats all i can say.
:)

poid
18-07-2004, 09:51 PM
i did mine like last week without spring compressors, fukn funny shit.
aim it at the wall and look away
hahahahaha :lol:

LOL now thats NOT the way to do it :lol: