PDA

View Full Version : oil light problems

Joel The Mole
13-06-2007, 10:04 PM
hi

my AH civic's oil light has started to come on when driving. this has happened before, and we had teh oil pressure switch replaced, which helped the situation, but it has started appearing again. ive checked the oil level and it is full, so i dont know why it would come on.

can anyone help with ideas etc????

Drew
13-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Pressure relieve valve which is part of the oil pump...
What's probably happening is that the valve is getting stuck open which means you run lower pressure all the time instead of just having it release excess pressure
Might be that the oil pick up is clogged

Your mechanic should have an oil press. gauge that he can use to test to see if the problem is electrical or if indeed your car has low oil pressure

EG5[KRT]
13-06-2007, 10:13 PM
mayb your oil filter is blocked...

Joel The Mole
13-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Pressure relieve valve which is part of the oil pump...
What's probably happening is that the valve is getting stuck open which means you run lower pressure all the time instead of just having it release excess pressure
Might be that the oil pick up is clogged

Your mechanic should have an oil press. gauge that he can use to test to see if the problem is electrical or if indeed your car has low oil pressure

ok ill check this next week at tafe. oil pressure would be listed in a workshop manual right?

mayb your oil filter is blocked...

checked and replaced teh filter, still teh same...

Drew
13-06-2007, 10:36 PM
ok ill check this next week at tafe. oil pressure would be listed in a workshop manual right?

Should be

Joel The Mole
14-06-2007, 04:39 PM
sweet thanks for that

Drew
14-06-2007, 11:12 PM
So did you figure it out?

Joel The Mole
15-06-2007, 11:23 AM
nah not yet, havnt had a chance to do anything on it yet, as i have been very busy with tafe work and stuff. but next week im taking it in to tafe and working on it for a week!!! getting all the stuff done that needs doing, so ill check it then. ill update when i have checked it

creativepunka
15-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I would sugest doing it straight away. the oil light comes on at around 4psi fro memory.

Joel The Mole
15-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I would sugest doing it straight away. the oil light comes on at around 4psi fro memory.

the car isnt being driven at the moment, so its not that urgent to check it. 4psi, ill check that when i get my workshop manual 2moro.

thanks