PDA

View Full Version : Cranking but not starting

Redteg
13-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Guys, my car doesn't start! It cranks fine, battery is fine, I'm pretty sure I have spark, and yet my car doesn't start.

When I turn the key, the check engine light comes on, then it comes off, I hear the fuel relay switicning on and off as its meant to, but I hear no whir of the fuel pump. Should I assume its the fuel pump gone?

NRMA man suggested the IAT sensor, but suggested to my parents I tow it to a shop during the week to get checked out properly. Does it sound like an Intake Air Temperature problem? I thought that'd just give me erattic idling.

Suggestions anyone, either from theory or experience? I'd rather not get raped by the workshop, it'll be going in Wednesday morning!

accordpwr
13-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Could be the starter motor on the way out. Last time my nissan had this problem off and on. But my car didn't crank at all.

Weq
13-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Fuel could be a problem. I'm not sure how u can check ur fuel pump out, but check ur fuel filter if u havnt latly..
As for the IAC valve, i'm sure also it will just destroy ur idle also.

Rowie
13-10-2003, 09:07 PM
you say your pretty sure you have spark, have you taken out the spark plugs and given spark forks a sand down with some soft sand paper, and check that the gap is the correct gap for your car, or the spark wont be strong enough to start the engine.

have you tried to roll start it??? get a thick rope, and tie it onto another car and go around the block and try to turn the engine over that way. then you will know if its your starter motor or not.

Redteg
14-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Just for future reference, it's the fuel pump. We tried running it direct from 12V and no go.

Taking it to be fixed tomorrow!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! Hope this info may help other members when they have the same symptoms.

one more chance
15-10-2003, 12:25 PM
have a look at the fuel pump, u said u cant hear a hull from the fuel pump it may be on its last days. how old is the car? my sisters 2nd gen crx had a similar problem, and it was faulty fuel lines......dunno how that happened!

Redteg
15-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Yup yup, fuel pump, have fuel, will travel!

100 buck fix, a BIG thanks to all at Honbits, legendary stuff!