PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox - easy shifting when cold, hard when its hot

De_Cruelz
14-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey guys

I just recently sold my DC2 VTI-R and picked up a 01 DC2-R with a JDM front and it drives like a dream! Puts a smile on my face everytime I walk to my garage and take her for a drive.

Now, i've noticed a few things after having it for a few days. When I first picked the car up the car had been parked for about a month or so with only periodic warm ups in the garage. Little or no driving at all as far as I know. On the way back after picking it up the gears started to become extremely difficult to engage, going from 3 to 2 was really hard and 2 to 3.

Now that i've driven it for a couple of days it has eased up quite a bit. What I find weird though is that after a night in the garage, the gears are very light and easy to engage when I start it. However after about 20 mins or so driving it, it starts to stiff up again but not as hard as when I initially picked the car up. I'm guessing this could be due to the gearbox fluid?

Atm, the car is running with Motul gearbox oil, Exedy lightened flywheel and Organic clutch and also aftermarket bushings.

Thanks guys!

destrukshn
14-06-2007, 03:15 PM
how many k's you got?

De_Cruelz
14-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Just touched about 73,000.

aaronng
14-06-2007, 03:28 PM
What's the viscosity of the Motul MTF? How old is the fluid, did you put it in after you purchased the car?

De_Cruelz
14-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Not sure about the viscosity, but as far as I know the fluids were always changed every 5000Km's or less. I have not replaced fluids or sent it for a service but the next 5000 is due in the next 1500 to 2000Km's.

destrukshn
14-06-2007, 03:44 PM
try changing the fluid to genuine stuff.

aaronng
14-06-2007, 03:56 PM
^^ Yeah, if you haven't changed fluids after taking ownership of the car, do so as soon as you can, including brake and clutch fluid. Check that the coolant is still good too.

De_Cruelz
14-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that guys! Apart from the MTF, could it be something else? I just wanna be prepared for either scenario just in case.

Also, it's not quite directly related but there's quite a bit of play with the shifter and there's a bit of a clunking metal sound when I move it around in neutral. Engaging it into gear is still firm, just a bit of play.

aaronng
14-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that guys! Apart from the MTF, could it be something else? I just wanna be prepared for either scenario just in case.

Also, it's not quite directly related but there's quite a bit of play with the shifter and there's a bit of a clunking metal sound when I move it around in neutral. Engaging it into gear is still firm, just a bit of play.

Check the shifter bushings. Stock bushings are made from rubber and will wear out with age.

bennjamin
14-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Check the shifter bushings. Stock bushings are made from rubber and will wear out with age.

+1 vote for this. When cold , the bushes are generally stiff.
Once the car heats up - more so the exhaust piping underneath the shift linkage - the rear bushe become looser giving you these symptoms.

ITs easy to replace - jack up car - put on stands. Get a 12mm socket + extension + ratchet , and take off the 2 12mm bolts holding the balancer shaft bush in place.Slide it off the end and re place with a new one and reinstall :)

De_Cruelz
14-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll look into getting someone to help replace it for me as I don't have the tools nor a jack to do it. Perhaps its time to invest in a set for long term use :)

As for the bush, is it this one here as Spoon-Accord posted? http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1152480&postcount=5

So i'm guessing once the bush heats up, it gets kinda loose which makes shifting less accurate and hence harder to get into gear? Would changing aftermarket bushes make shifting lighter in any way?

+1 given to aaronng + bennjamin, thanks guys!

bennjamin
15-06-2007, 08:16 AM
yes those are teh bushes :) The long long ajoins your balancer shaft (underneath pretty much your handbrake) and it get loose /old over time.

ECU-MAN
15-06-2007, 09:16 AM
bleed your clutch fluid, might have air in it, or low fluid level

check the clutch master and slave for leaks.

De_Cruelz
15-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks ECU-MAN, i'll have a look at that soon too when time permits.