PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Theft light

osirislord
15-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi, I have just bought a second hand '97 Civic Gli. It currently has the original tape deck it came with, which I want to swap out for a new MP3 player. The stereo that is in there though, has this little blinking red light that says "anti-theft" next to it. Is this a light that is saying the immobiliser is working, or is this light something to do with the actual stereo?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to screw up my immobiliser by installing a new stereo if it is somehow connected to the current stereo.

Thanks!

danau
15-06-2007, 06:45 PM
pull apart dash and see if its actually connected to anything.. i bet its not.. :P

Is this a light that is saying the immobiliser is working? - press your immobiliser and is should stop.. then its nothing to do with stereo..
it is there as a theft deterant? scares potential thieves..

so go ahead and install..

Mr_will
15-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi, I have just bought a second hand '97 Civic Gli. It currently has the original tape deck it came with, which I want to swap out for a new MP3 player. The stereo that is in there though, has this little blinking red light that says "anti-theft" next to it. Is this a light that is saying the immobiliser is working, or is this light something to do with the actual stereo?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to screw up my immobiliser by installing a new stereo if it is somehow connected to the current stereo.

Thanks!

heres my input, but im prepared to be corrected.

the anti theft light on your cd player relates only to the anti-theft system for this device (ie not your car)

the way it works is if the cd player loses power (ie battery disconnected, or the deck removed, not just if your car is off, obviously) you need to enter the security code to use that deck again. its so people cant just rip your deck out and put it into another car.

if you dont have this code (since you mentioned you bought the car second hand, its possible) then be aware that dealers often charge lots of money (ive heard $150 personally) to get it fixed if you dont have the code.

so if you dont intend to use the deck again or sell it, rip it out.

it does not affect any other security features on the car.

osirislord
15-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Thank you (both of you) very much.

This is exactly what I thought (although you put it into a lot more detail than I could, especially with the code thing), and also exactly what I wanted to hear. As this is an old tape deck, I can't see any reason to keep it in there, so tomorrow it is coming out and my MP3 player is going in.

The only thing is that now there is no theft deterrent, as the fact that it has an immobiliser is not advertised with a fancy blinking light like the crappy tape deck had.

Thanks again!

yourfather
15-06-2007, 07:45 PM
pull apart dash and see if its actually connected to anything.. i bet its not.. :P

Is this a light that is saying the immobiliser is working? - press your immobiliser and is should stop.. then its nothing to do with stereo..
it is there as a theft deterant? scares potential thieves..

so go ahead and install..

danau. danau apa?

berapa lama lho tinggal di sini. bhs inggrismu bagus banget.

aimre
15-06-2007, 10:02 PM
U can buy a flashing LED from Jaycar that will run off 12v for a few bucks. Just hook it up to a wire that always gets 12v

aimre
15-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Here you go

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA5082&CATID=&keywords=flashing+LED&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Its only $5