PDA

View Full Version : Engine has rattly sound when cold

Alpine
15-06-2007, 09:27 PM
For a while now I have noticed my engine has a really rattly sound when it's started up from cold and idling. The rattling gets more prominent after shifting it into Drive but still at idle. However the rattling appears to disappear after the engine has warmed up and driven for a while. What would be the cause of this rattling in my engine?

DR HONDA
15-06-2007, 09:32 PM
For a while now I have noticed my engine has a really rattly sound when it's started up from cold and idling. The rattling gets more prominent after shifting it into Drive but still at idle. However the rattling appears to disappear after the engine has warmed up and driven for a while. What would be the cause of this rattling in my engine?
What kind of car is it? And what engine type?

Alpine
15-06-2007, 09:32 PM
1999 Civic GLi d16

ECU-MAN
15-06-2007, 10:27 PM
have the tappets adjusted if its a rattle

sure its not a squeek ??

Alpine
15-06-2007, 10:40 PM
No, definitely does not sound like a squeak. More like a rattle. But only when cold.

Zilli
16-06-2007, 04:03 PM
as mentioned, you may need your tappets adjusted, most cars are a little noisy at startup, as it takes a while to build old pressure and get the oil circulating and for everyhting to warm up to operating temperature.

Alpine
16-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Is adjusting tappets (assuming that's the cause) an expensive exercise or is it a quick job that can be done by the workshop? How much would it cost?

Zilli
17-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Well your basically adjusting the valve lash, so your ensuring the valvle clearances are correct. It involves removing the valve cover, maybe replacing the gaskets, setting the lash, then putting it back together, i dont think its worth more than an hour or twos worth of labour (if that, but you need to be objective with mechanics.

LiL FiLo
17-06-2007, 01:29 PM
sounds like adjusting tappets like zilli said, shoudnt cost that much, also check ur oil level, sounds noob but alot of people dont do it

simonnowis
17-06-2007, 04:38 PM
i think it might be your timing belt. when was the last time you changed your timing belt?

destrukshn
17-06-2007, 04:45 PM
why would the timing belt be noisy?

Alpine
17-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Car has 74000km. Timing belt was done at the last service (based on time, not mileage).

misteR_bilzz
17-06-2007, 06:06 PM
tappets are more like a ticking than a rattle, rattle like something is loose like metal on metal, have u checked your cat heat shield?

czy_sol87
17-06-2007, 06:47 PM
could be ur exhaust system, have u recently gotten any work done on it??

aaronng
17-06-2007, 07:07 PM
tappets are more like a ticking than a rattle, rattle like something is loose like metal on metal, have u checked your cat heat shield?

Tappets will make your engine sound like a diesel when cold. And diesels sound like something is rattling. Ticking is your injectors.

Dylanamus
17-06-2007, 07:25 PM
lol it's funny to see new users becoming e-mechanics.

describing sounds is a matter of perception. It will either be the tappets or the exhaust though

Riviera
17-06-2007, 08:00 PM
rattling or knocking

knocking occurs at engine start up and disappears after the engine has warmed up. this due to the block being aliuminium expands, the knocking is the pistons in the bore just rattling around this is why we do not fang our engines just after start up we must wait for them to warm up or the life expectency will drop...

rattling - tappets are out and are in need or adjusting but they usually do it all the time if they are out not just when cold...

Alpine
17-06-2007, 08:12 PM
could be ur exhaust system, have u recently gotten any work done on it??

Exhaust is stock.

simonnowis
17-06-2007, 08:30 PM
might be the cat

bennjamin
17-06-2007, 09:00 PM
next oil change , opt for something alittle thicker than what you are using , to "mask" that noise alittle.

ZeForce
17-06-2007, 09:26 PM
knocking occurs at engine start up and disappears after the engine has warmed up. this due to the block being aliuminium expands, the knocking is the pistons in the bore just rattling around this is why we do not fang our engines just after start up we must wait for them to warm up or the life expectency will drop...

This is called "piston slap"

bennjamin
17-06-2007, 09:33 PM
normal petrol engines dont rattle in the sleeves -a diesel
engine generally sounds like that due to looser tolerances

Limbo
17-06-2007, 09:39 PM
get the tappets ajusted, your about due anyway. Cost me $75 at Hannys performance. Only thing is they need your car for 1/2 the day

ECU-MAN
17-06-2007, 11:43 PM

normal engine might not, but honda engine do.

F22B is a classic example.

also not only looser tolerances ( when cold ) but also shorter piston skirts.

aaronng
17-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Eventhough the block is aluminium, the liners are still made from iron. :)

Riviera
18-06-2007, 06:04 AM
doesnt change the fact that it expands and contracts...

Alpine
18-06-2007, 07:28 AM
get the tappets ajusted, your about due anyway. Cost me $75 at Hannys performance. Only thing is they need your car for 1/2 the day

Thanks for the offer, but........I ain't in Sydney!

lil_miss_vtec
18-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Both my cars make diffrent sounds when cold as when warm...
1990 Lancer (440xxxKms) My shitter Lol :D, 1992 Crx B16a (130xxx Kms)
Both sound a lil bit diffrent when cold

simonnowis
18-06-2007, 09:35 AM
have u tried opening the bonnet to try identify the location by hearing it. if its not there its most likely your exhaust. my car makes a slight rattle on cold days to but not to the extent i get annoyed. maybe cuz metal shrinks when when cold so the exhaust may make the rattle.. but once warmed up it should be fine.

lil_miss_vtec
18-06-2007, 09:46 AM
^ yep, thats what mine is I think!!

Zilli
18-06-2007, 01:51 PM
might be the roof lining...

Sorry i couddlnt help myself...

im sticking to my original theory of tappets, just get them done mate, let us know how you go

lil_miss_vtec
18-06-2007, 02:32 PM
^ ?????????? ^

jem-12a
28-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I would say it sounds like tappets although you could try using a nice thin oil when cold say 10W to allow oil to get into all the little spots.

aaronng
28-06-2007, 04:19 PM
I would say it sounds like tappets although you could try using a nice thin oil when cold say 10W to allow oil to get into all the little spots.

Hondas are meant to use 10w-30.

bennjamin
28-06-2007, 04:27 PM

thinner oil ( less than 10w cold) will make the engine sound more ratty in startup. Thicker "masks" this noise

Alpine
28-06-2007, 07:01 PM
have u tried opening the bonnet to try identify the location by hearing it. if its not there its most likely your exhaust. my car makes a slight rattle on cold days to but not to the extent i get annoyed. maybe cuz metal shrinks when when cold so the exhaust may make the rattle.. but once warmed up it should be fine.

No I haven't opened the bonnet to listen where the noise is, however I will do that this weekend when I have some time. But it does sound like it's coming from somewhere under the bonnet though, rather than the exhaust which is lower down and underneath the car...

aaronng
28-06-2007, 08:01 PM
^^ Then have a look :) Better than having a rattle under your bonnet which could be anything from a loose heat shield or a dying engine.

petsfact
28-06-2007, 09:21 PM
^^ Then have a look :) Better than having a rattle under your bonnet which could be anything from a loose heat shield or a dying engine.

what would be the usual cause if rattling only happens after valve clearance adjustment[ like immediately notice when i drive it out from the dealer] exactly like what was described in first post, rattling on cold, ticking when accelerate, although the noise goes away after it hits and go over 3krpm?

aaronng
28-06-2007, 10:38 PM
what would be the usual cause if rattling only happens after valve clearance adjustment[ like immediately notice when i drive it out from the dealer] exactly like what was described in first post, rattling on cold, ticking when accelerate, although the noise goes away after it hits and go over 3krpm?

Is it for your Accord Euro? If it is, someone messed up with the valve clearance check or put in the wrong amount of engine oil. Have you checked your oil level yet?

petsfact
28-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Is it for your Accord Euro? If it is, someone messed up with the valve clearance check or put in the wrong amount of engine oil. Have you checked your oil level yet?

yeh checked them once...... not so far off the mark.... so i am assuming alright.. the rattling noise on cold start is acceptable....but the ticking noise on acceleration is making me crazy.... sounds like the vw tdi golf.........

aaronng
28-06-2007, 10:58 PM
yeh checked them once...... not so far off the mark.... so i am assuming alright.. the rattling noise on cold start is acceptable....but the ticking noise on acceleration is making me crazy.... sounds like the vw tdi golf.........

Does it vary with RPM, speed or throttle position?
Did they use Honda FEO or some other oil? Have you checked the oil level yet?

petsfact
29-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Does it vary with RPM, speed or throttle position?
Did they use Honda FEO or some other oil? Have you checked the oil level yet?

yeh checked them again thir morning..... it's about 1.5cm above full marking point.

could this be the problem?

i think it was castrol magnetec...... tapping noise does go away right after 3krpm,,,,

the noise was there when i drive the car out from dealer after 40000km service....... i noticed it immediately but they reckon it's normal noise......

aaronng
29-06-2007, 04:05 PM
yeh checked them again thir morning..... it's about 1.5cm above full marking point.

could this be the problem?

i think it was castrol magnetec...... tapping noise does go away right after 3krpm,,,,

the noise was there when i drive the car out from dealer after 40000km service....... i noticed it immediately but they reckon it's normal noise......

1.5cm is quite a bit. At most, usually 1 cm above maximum is ok.
Castrol Magnatec is fine, I used to use it too and didn't have these noises.

creativepunka
29-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Iv had 2 hondas that have had piston slap. Iv got a d15 that sounds like a diesel when a/c on and you take off with a bit of load. Its not just a cold problem too;)

aaronng
29-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Iv had 2 hondas that have had piston slap. Iv got a d15 that sounds like a diesel when a/c on and you take off with a bit of load. Its not just a cold problem too;)

That's just the engine lugging at low RPM wiht load from the compressor and accelerating. That's not piston slap. ;)