PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on vtec controller

Angie
16-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi people,

I have searched through the forum and found things about this topic but not what I am really after. What are peoples opinions on vtec controllers? Are they worth money after exhaust and air filter? Can you fit them yourself? Are they dangerous to the engine having vtec kick in lower?

Just looking at something simple like the buddy club one to change where it kicks in.

Cheers in advance

aaronng
16-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Not worth it unless you are able to alter the A/F ratio and ignition timing.

Angie
16-06-2007, 08:39 PM
So that is where the Apexi AFC Neo would be better?

aaronng
16-06-2007, 08:57 PM
So that is where the Apexi AFC Neo would be better?

Yes, that would be better than just a vtec controller.

EuroAccord13
16-06-2007, 09:08 PM
At it's minimum, you should be looking at the Apexi VAFCii which allows A/F ratio adjustment on top of the VTEC changeover point....

Angie
16-06-2007, 09:14 PM
So if i bought this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67320&highlight=vtec+controller and install it i should have no dramas, notice it does not have timing b the looks? Obviously it needs to be dyno tuned?

aaronng
16-06-2007, 09:19 PM
So if i bought this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67320&highlight=vtec+controller and install it i should have no dramas, notice it does not have timing b the looks? Obviously it needs to be dyno tuned?

Both the Apexi NEO and VAFC II allow you to change only the A/F ratio and vtec engagement point.

If you want something that alters ignition timing as well, you'll need the Apexi PowerFC or something from Hondata like the S100.

And yes, dyno tuned is best.

dc2itr
17-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Apexi's are ok for amateur tuners. I have one in my type r and it does a good job. Recommend professional install though and it usually costs much more than the cost of the unit to install and tune. Hondata is much better, has much better control and functionality but usually for the more serious users. If you have around $600-$1000 to spend, its not a bad toy to have and tuning should give a small gain if you have a decent exhaust and air filter.

aaronng
17-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Apexi's are ok for amateur tuners. I have one in my type r and it does a good job. Recommend professional install though and it usually costs much more than the cost of the unit to install and tune. Hondata is much better, has much better control and functionality but usually for the more serious users. If you have around $600-$1000 to spend, its not a bad toy to have and tuning should give a small gain if you have a decent exhaust and air filter.

You should all ECU tuning done by a proper tuner.

EuroAccord13
17-06-2007, 03:57 AM
A note to add to using controllers like these, the power gains are in relation to the number of modifications you have as well on top of the competency of the tuner....

Obviously more modifications = better power but... As with any controllers, they can only go so far as opposed to better units like the PowerFC, Hondata, KPro etc....

yourfather
17-06-2007, 06:44 AM
just save yourself the trouble and transfer the money from your bank account into mine.

Angie
17-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Cheers for the replies, looks like money will be better spent on suspenson mods.

45SET
17-06-2007, 01:29 PM
money is always better spent on suspension... can never have enough suspension work :p

vippy84
17-06-2007, 03:49 PM
suspension + rims

:p

money is always better spent on suspension... can never have enough suspension work :p

T-onedc2
17-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Always get your suspension sorted before extra power ;)

m3ntAL_l2
17-06-2007, 05:07 PM
controller = wank factOr
plp get controllers to turn the vtec point down, so when tracking u will stay in vtec all the time.

aaronng
17-06-2007, 05:32 PM
controller = wank factOr
plp get controllers to turn the vtec point down, so when tracking u will stay in vtec all the time.

You get less power at the beginning of vtec if you lower the vtec point but don't compensate by altering at least the A/F ratio.

dc2itr
17-06-2007, 07:01 PM
huh??? No-one is stoopid enuf to do that. Many Ppl get it once they have enuf mods to be worthwhile for tuning.

foolish

controller = wank factOr

m3ntAL_l2
17-06-2007, 07:04 PM
huh??? No-one is stoopid enuf to do that.

are u sure? foolish??? hows that foolish?

aaronng
17-06-2007, 07:06 PM
LOL, there is always someone out there stupid enough.

dc2itr
17-06-2007, 07:12 PM
thinkin controller is wank factor is pretty damn foolish hey....

m3ntAL_l2
17-06-2007, 07:13 PM
would u care to full explain it to me how its not a wank factOr?

ACTI0NMAN-1
17-06-2007, 07:35 PM
someone needs to do a case study on Those who own them Vs Those who need them

aaronng
17-06-2007, 11:44 PM
thinkin controller is wank factor is pretty damn foolish hey....

I know a few who put a vtec controller in just for wank factor.

EL_DC5
18-06-2007, 02:54 PM
they masturbate over vtec controllers?:confused:

integrity
18-06-2007, 03:06 PM
vtec controllers are good and bad, depending on which one your getting, what you are using it for and what mods you got.

brands i wouldnt go past anything then a VAFCII, not a fan of the neo personally.

VAFCII controls air, fuel, Pressure, Vtec hi/lo, Vtec on/off and runs meters for you as well.

wirign it up yourself isnt too hard but i wouldnt recommend it if your not confident in cutting your ECU wiring.

in terms of gains, it really depends on what mods you got to see if you would gain anything.

if your going a fullsetup then i qwould just say to get a full hondata or powerr FC standalone or a piggy back like V-Manage or microtech.

it all falls down to your preference so yeah.

dc2itr
18-06-2007, 03:36 PM
What your saying is that every1 out there who has any type of controller, hondata, apexi, powerFC or whateva got it for that reason is sumthing I don't agree with but I guess every1 has they're own opinion I just don't agree with yours.

Whateva the mod sum ppl gonna like while others think its waste of money but gues it depends on the person, they're situation and their car....

m3ntAL_l2
18-06-2007, 04:43 PM
What your saying is that every1 out there who has any type of controller, hondata, apexi, powerFC or whateva got it for that reason is sumthing I don't agree with but I guess every1 has they're own opinion I just don't agree with yours.

Whateva the mod sum ppl gonna like while others think its waste of money but gues it depends on the person, they're situation and their car....

no. only vtec controller is a waste of money.
even u said it ur self, AFTER ppl hav enough/all mods THEN they will get vtec controler.
why??? becasue theyve done everything eles and have the money in their hands dont know wot to buy, so they thought eey y not get a vtec controller so i can fk around with my vtec point.

dc2itr
18-06-2007, 05:43 PM
vtec controller doesn't just mod the vtec engagement it has some other functions aswell. Vtew controller is an entry level controller. Not every1 needs full functionality of hondata or others.

aaronng
18-06-2007, 10:02 PM
they masturbate over vtec controllers?:confused:

No, having wank factor means that the item shows how much of a wanker (dickhead) you are.

aaronng
18-06-2007, 10:08 PM
vtec controller doesn't just mod the vtec engagement it has some other functions aswell. Vtew controller is an entry level controller. Not every1 needs full functionality of hondata or others.

VTEC controllers only change the VTEC RPM point. The VAFCII and NEO alter fuel ratios AS WELL AS change the VTEC RPM point.

VTEC controllers are a waste of money, the VAFCII and NEO are more worth the money because they can alter the amount of fuel put in to support the lower RPM VTEC.

EuroAccord13
18-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I've tried and tested different engagement points of the VTEC on the engine via the VAFCii with A/F adjustments and without..

Without A/F adjustment to compensate, you are actually losing power and performance, some people have this profound theory that "If I lower my VTEC engagement point, I will get more power earlier and hence the car is faster"...
Well it's not true even though you may have the basic I/H/E mods done...

Needless to say, unless tuned properly, Honda's factory setting is the most efficient...

[RSX 03]
18-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Motec ECU :)

dc2itr
19-06-2007, 01:14 AM
I've tried and tested different engagement points of the VTEC on the engine via the VAFCii with A/F adjustments and without..

Without A/F adjustment to compensate, you are actually losing power and performance, some people have this profound theory that "If I lower my VTEC engagement point, I will get more power earlier and hence the car is faster"...

Needless to say, unless tuned properly, Honda's factory setting is the most efficient...

Yeah I agree. Using a controller without any mods is useless and installing it yourself (unless u know ur stuff) and especially using it just to lower vtec is a little foolish in my opinion. The brains at :honda: don't spend days/months tinkering their engines to offer sub-optimal settings on their cars. Why sum ppl think they are smarter or more experienced than the car manufacturers beats me.

But I still think with the right install and the rght mods, a controller can still give u sum advantages whether it be entry level or the serious comp stuff.

I had sum simple mods, exhaust, CAI etc, and my VAFC impressed me for what it was and how much it cost. I am sure though that other things should take priority like simple mods, suspension and braking but once your satisfied imight be time to consider having more control over the mods you paid your hard-earnt $$$'s on.

Angie...if you haven't got any of those mods yet, think about those first before gettin any type of controller and if you do get to buyin 1 make sure u take it to sum1 who knows their stuff. I'm sure a fair few ppl on ozhonda will be able to do a gd job 4 u.

code-87
14-08-2007, 09:50 PM

fair enuf
cud someone tell me tho, if the a/f was adjusted accordinly to lowering the VTEC point would that be ok? or is it completely foolish to modify the point where VTEC kicks in reguardless of other factors???

locote
14-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Even with I/H/E mods your still using stock honda cams what is the point of changing the cross over???
The cams are designed to work best at that cross over, lowering it or raising it would just make u loose power at certain rpm..

air23box
14-08-2007, 11:53 PM
fair enuf
cud someone tell me tho, if the a/f was adjusted accordinly to lowering the VTEC point would that be ok? or is it completely foolish to modify the point where VTEC kicks in reguardless of other factors???

If you lower ur Vtec point you may feel ur car is faster but acturally you are slower....what you get the the sound of vtec but ur A/F ratio and the fuel is not matching what you did......which give you no gain on power output.....you may run too lean and finally blow ur engine.....lower the vtec point means you lost power on top end......VAFCII and Neo is a good basic mod and you can learn from why you need to have that in your car.......of coz the best way is bring it to your ECU tuner.....coz most of the ppl stuff up when they put in the wrong setting and dunno how to put it back to stock setup.....and finally cause damage to the engine......

I'll take Mugen N1 ECU for example.....it lower the Vtec point by 300rpm but run richer all the way up to 9200rpm....which protect ur engine and give you more power......same as VAFCII or NEO......you need to adjust the AF ratio according to ur setup.....you can't just play around without finding out why you need to adjust it......or like most story.....engine problem

You can't compare sub-computer like VAFC to Hondata K pro and others like Power FC or E-manage or V-manage.....they need professional to tune and its not easy......unless you see track a lot there is no point to get it......you can't use that power on normal road anywayz.....

connorling
21-10-2007, 10:59 PM
You get less power at the beginning of vtec if you lower the vtec point but don't compensate by altering at least the A/F ratio.

so if i have the controller for both, then what do i have to do with the AFC in order to have power gain with lower vtec entry point?

aaronng
21-10-2007, 11:30 PM
so if i have the controller for both, then what do i have to do with the AFC in order to have power gain with lower vtec entry point?

Your tuner will have to run the car on the dyno and tune your VAFCii.