PDA

View Full Version : lsd clutch type

na
18-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I just bought and installed LSD.

Are they usually this noisy?? Vibration (almost like abs activating) when the wheels is turning even at slow speed.

I have kaaz 1.5 way.

I just want to know if this is normal.

fatboyz39
18-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I just bought and installed LSD.

Are they usually this noisy?? Vibration (almost like abs activating) when the wheels is turning even at slow speed.

I have kaaz 1.5 way.

I just want to know if this is normal.

Pefectly normal, dw i was concern when i first installed mine.

Just remember with these type of LSD you need to change oil every 10 000km -15000km.

I don't know about vibration when abs is activating cause i don't have abs.

na
18-06-2007, 06:15 PM
thanks, that makes me feel better

90LAN
18-06-2007, 06:27 PM
yeah same here if you have a 2way locker like mine sounds like tyres are rubbing and lots of clicking noises

zco
18-06-2007, 08:58 PM
make sure you carry a breaker bar or something to tighten your lugnuts.. you will find that if they're not secure, then they can make your nuts loose LOL
happened to a friend of mine ;)

the noise is normal and will acutally be louder and more noticeable at low speed turning

serpo
19-06-2007, 11:32 AM
*makes note* Never buy LSD lol I want LSD but after hearin it clicks and carrys on screw that

94vtirozguy
19-06-2007, 12:06 PM
not all LSD is like that. The Quaife you can't even hear

EfiOz
19-06-2007, 12:20 PM
You can buy friction modifers like Lubrizol7906 to get rid of that. It's the clutches shuddering adn it used to be a big problem in Commodores when they ran clutch pack LSD's.

VT3C
19-06-2007, 12:41 PM
make sure you carry a breaker bar or something to tighten your lugnuts.. you will find that if they're not secure, then they can make your nuts loose

negatory !! NEVER EVER tighten your lug-nuts with a breaker bar !!

is wise to tighten to factory Torque specs only.. or at least within reason if u dont have a torque wrench - but definately do not ever use a breaker bar on your lug-nuts unless you enjoy removing your hub and replacing the broken studs ;)

the clunks you've described elsewhere sounds like possible CV/wheel bearing issues (prob from driving in circles at full lock at the rev-limiter hahaha) that may be amplified / caused by the addition of your LSD.

if is just tyre skipping/skidding is obviously not a noise to worry about.. but if is a mechanical noise.. ouchy !!

GIPONU
19-06-2007, 09:36 PM
not all LSD is like that. The Quaife you can't even hear

mayb ur LSD isnt working thens :p:p
just kidding.

fatboyz39
19-06-2007, 10:59 PM
fark its your LSD......just live with it.

i got used to mine after a few weeks.

na
19-06-2007, 11:24 PM
interesting...friction modifier heh??
where to buy EFIOZ??? expensive???

the workshop said the same thing...ask me to comeback if the noise is really bad and they will add that to reduce the noise...

thanks for the input guys.

aaronng
19-06-2007, 11:41 PM
*makes note* Never buy LSD lol I want LSD but after hearin it clicks and carrys on screw that

Only the clutch ones are noisy. The torsen/quife and viscous LSDs are pretty quiet.

aaronng
19-06-2007, 11:44 PM

is wise to tighten to factory Torque specs only.. or at least within reason if u dont have a torque wrench - but definately do not ever use a breaker bar on your lug-nuts unless you enjoy removing your hub and replacing the broken studs ;)

You can use a breaker bar. You just need to tighten it to 135Nm :)

zco
20-06-2007, 12:51 AM

why cant you use a breaker bar ? just dont over tighten them ?
all i sed was to carry a breakbar or smething similar just in case his lsd makes his nuts comes loose. honestly, i dont think any bookworm would follow factory specs on lugnuts. on motor rebuilds, yes, on lugnuts, no one gives. maybe you've had a bad experience coz youve overtightened yours.

You can use a breaker bar. You just need to tighten it to 135Nm :)

exactly.

na
20-06-2007, 01:36 AM
zco: u still have the foggies?

Dylanamus
20-06-2007, 08:31 AM
There are clutch type LSDs with carbon clutch plates and these make almost as little noise as mechanical LSDs.

serpo
20-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey guys what do we need LSD in FWD cars??? I thaught it was only good to have LSD in RWD so you can slide around corners

ZeForce
20-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey guys what do we need LSD in FWD cars??? I thaught it was only good to have LSD in RWD so you can slide around corners

So power goes through both wheels more evenly, especially good for FWD when powering out of a corner :thumbsup:

serpo
20-06-2007, 11:55 AM
o ok cool ill look into gettin one then thx man

Dylanamus
20-06-2007, 12:30 PM
LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. That kind of explains itself, I think.

serpo
20-06-2007, 12:32 PM
LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. That kind of explains itself, I think.

ummmm derrr who asked that? if it helps FWD in corners ill buy one

VT3C
20-06-2007, 04:53 PM
why cant you use a breaker bar ? just dont over tighten them ?
all i sed was to carry a breakbar or smething similar just in case his lsd makes his nuts comes loose. honestly, i dont think any bookworm would follow factory specs on lugnuts. on motor rebuilds, yes, on lugnuts, no one gives. maybe you've had a bad experience coz youve overtightened yours.

nope never had any bad experiences with my own lug-nuts but i've seen other people that HAVE had issues LOL

you can do the lug nuts up to the required torque using the OEM lug-nut wrench or a regular sized ratchet quite easilly - i cant see why you'd need to use a breaker bar on the lug nuts unless you're some annorexic weakling.. OR granted you may need a breaker bar if you've sent your car to a workshop or tyre shop that has done them up to 4 million Nm with their rattle-gun.. but that's to LOOSEN it..

basically for safety, IMO nobody should use a breaker bar to tighten their lug-nuts.. it just makes it that much easier to over-tighten and 'pop' there goes a stud..

dont get offended ZCO - is just when someone posts on a public place like this with the possibilty of newbs reading and taking in the info, it can mis-lead them.. this was pointed out to me when i posted a personal technique of setting ignition timing and copped a barrage of abuse and now in retrospect i can see that my advice may not suit a newby who is unfamilliar with other aspects relative to my comments...

aaronng
20-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Used the ratchet and then checked with a torque wrench. The nut still had quite a bit more to go (about 1/4 turn) before the torque wrench clicked. I'd rather use a breaker bar than risk pulling a muscle. :)

mqt55s
20-06-2007, 05:36 PM
ummmm derrr who asked that? if it helps FWD in corners ill buy one

lsd will reduce understeer...yayyyy

serpo
20-06-2007, 06:02 PM
lsd will reduce understeer...yayyyy

SWEEEEETTTT! thats it im buyin one, where can I get it????

zco
20-06-2007, 07:12 PM
nope never had any bad experiences with my own lug-nuts but i've seen other people that HAVE had issues LOL

you can do the lug nuts up to the required torque using the OEM lug-nut wrench or a regular sized ratchet quite easilly - i cant see why you'd need to use a breaker bar on the lug nuts unless you're some annorexic weakling.. OR granted you may need a breaker bar if you've sent your car to a workshop or tyre shop that has done them up to 4 million Nm with their rattle-gun.. but that's to LOOSEN it..

basically for safety, IMO nobody should use a breaker bar to tighten their lug-nuts.. it just makes it that much easier to over-tighten and 'pop' there goes a stud..

dont get offended ZCO - is just when someone posts on a public place like this with the possibilty of newbs reading and taking in the info, it can mis-lead them.. this was pointed out to me when i posted a personal technique of setting ignition timing and copped a barrage of abuse and now in retrospect i can see that my advice may not suit a newby who is unfamilliar with other aspects relative to my comments...

hehe no offence taken.. all good. but all i wrote was use a breaker bar or something.. doesnt neccessarily have to be a breaker bar. lol

bennjamin
20-06-2007, 08:22 PM
hehe no offence taken.. all good. but all i wrote was use a breaker bar or something.. doesnt neccessarily have to be a breaker bar. lol

lol its not the TOOL its the TOOL TIGHTENING IT :)

IE no matter what tool you use , apply the correct and equal torque to each wheel :) (135NM , tighten in a star formation)

kyle
20-06-2007, 09:32 PM
My Honda Shop manual says 110Nm for each one?

fatboyz39
20-06-2007, 11:21 PM
LOL fark torque specs...... remeber not to overtighten the wheels. Just do it enough. Not everyone has a torque rachet. I have never had a problem with my wheel nuts coming loose *touchwood* with clutch LSD.

ctn
20-06-2007, 11:30 PM
What does clutch type LSD's have to do with nuts comming loose?

I've never had this problem before.

bennjamin
21-06-2007, 07:18 AM
My Honda Shop manual says 110Nm for each one?

my honda manual says 108NM for each one. But meh some people on here say 135NM. Regardless each really should be equal.

aaronng
21-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Each place will do it up to different torque specs. The 135Nm figure I got was off the tyre place here.

Edit: My manual also says 108Nm.