PDA

View Full Version : Do these HID's Exist?

Sexc86
18-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey guys

Basically wondering if this HID setup would Exist? if so who make them? A HID kit with HIGH / Low Beam setting.... I have seen these around however both high and low beams have been incorporated both into 1 lamp...

Does anyone know if there is a HIGH/LOW kit around with 2 separate lamps... 1 for high and 1 for low... and both HID brightness?... but both running off the same ballast

Thanks in advance guys... got me scratching my head a bit

Regards Lyle

|N|
18-06-2007, 05:35 PM
yup.. i have one of those...

hi and lo are seperate

Sexc86
18-06-2007, 05:38 PM
are you serious? do both high and low run off the tranny?

|N|
18-06-2007, 05:38 PM
basically i have 4 ballast... instead of 2

sugz
19-06-2007, 12:53 PM
you can get the hi and low in one bulb (H4 high and low), but are more costly...
friend of mine has it in her Jazz...

Sexc86
19-06-2007, 04:02 PM
yeh i know i realise that but im wondering if you can have a HIGH/LOW hid that have 2 separate lamps (one for high and one for low) both running off the same transformer/ballast

destrukshn
19-06-2007, 04:06 PM
nick i've seen your h4 hi and lo kit, if yours is the same as ahmies, then it's 1 bulb.
with high and low, it's more like.
you have 2 ballasts, and 1 control unit kinda thing, it's use so it will SHIFT the bulb higher, so it seems like high beam, it's not another bulb, same bulb, just a different angle.

destrukshn
19-06-2007, 04:07 PM
yeh i know i realise that but im wondering if you can have a HIGH/LOW hid that have 2 separate lamps (one for high and one for low) both running off the same transformer/ballast
to answer your question, running 2 bulbs off 1 ballast, no, it won't work.
lol.

Sexc86
19-06-2007, 04:23 PM
fair enough cheers (Y) wasnt sure if they existed as a HIGH,LOW in 1 lamp would still have 2 fillaments correct? for each beam? dont see why they couldnt be in 2 separate lamps? as the single lamp HIGH/LOW kits still run of 1 tranny

iversonruls
19-06-2007, 04:57 PM
fair enough cheers (Y) wasnt sure if they existed as a HIGH,LOW in 1 lamp would still have 2 fillaments correct? for each beam? dont see why they couldnt be in 2 separate lamps? as the single lamp HIGH/LOW kits still run of 1 tranny
high/low kit with 1 bulb
runs by this magnetic type of thing from what i knoww since im using it now

loco_corolla
19-06-2007, 05:04 PM
The only HID kit i have heard of which consists of both hi and low and use two different filaments running of the same ballast use both the hid and halogen bulbs incorporated into the 1. Thus ur driving lights are hid and when u shift to high beam the halogen ignites and gives ur hi beam. HID's take time to warm up thus having two seperate HID globes for hi and low beam may not be so practical as the second bulb would require time to reach it's full intensity hence why they created a single globe with a switching mechanism to shift to point of light to a different higher angle giving u ur high beam.

Sexc86
19-06-2007, 05:16 PM
ahhh nice i think i get your point champ! rep for you! :D

|N|
19-06-2007, 05:51 PM
nick i've seen your h4 hi and lo kit, if yours is the same as ahmies, then it's 1 bulb.
with high and low, it's more like.
you have 2 ballasts, and 1 control unit kinda thing, it's use so it will SHIFT the bulb higher, so it seems like high beam, it's not another bulb, same bulb, just a different angle.

no mine is completely diff...

destrukshn
19-06-2007, 05:53 PM
pics of your one please.
lol.

|N|
19-06-2007, 05:55 PM
nah cant cbb

sugz
19-06-2007, 06:36 PM
why do you want HID high beam anyway?! its a waste of money imo, how often do you drive with them on?

Sexc86
19-06-2007, 06:50 PM
i have allready asked |N| about his kit and basically they have 4 ballasts (2 for high beam and 2 for low beam) insted of 2, so its really more like 2 HID kits combined together...

just curious about the HID kits as i been looking at them and since i have projectors it would look good matching.... although not necesselary needed...

if there were a kit out there for similar price to normal would deffinately grab one but in saying that i wouldnt buy 2 separate hid kits just to have a matching highbeam

vertex_s15
19-06-2007, 07:25 PM
hid on your high beam is not very useful, since hid is run by gas, by the time u flick it on, it takes a few seconds to warm up to colour and brightness, ur probably end up flicking them off already as u cant hit high beam to long in metro area without blinding someone unless u got bush banging!

EG5[KRT]
19-06-2007, 09:32 PM
can u change the halogen bulb in a hi/lo hid setup ? or would u need a whole new bulb ?

loco_corolla
19-06-2007, 09:43 PM
hid on your high beam is not very useful, since hid is run by gas, by the time u flick it on, it takes a few seconds to warm up to colour and brightness, ur probably end up flicking them off already as u cant hit high beam to long in metro area without blinding someone unless u got bush banging!

That's only in the case if they are not on to begin with, since they are on they are already at full intensity and the high beam is just the shifting of the light. I have the hi/lo beam kit and it is usefull at times although i do not use it much as lo beam is more than sufficient.

EG5[KRT]: You will need new bulbs completely, u'd think it'll suck cause halogen bulbs don't last very long but thats cause ur using them all the time, if you look at some cars that use a seperate h1 globe for high beam like commodores, they last a very long time, my parents one is a 99 model and we have never changed the h1 globes.

vertex_s15
19-06-2007, 09:47 PM
yes but in his case, its not h4 and hes not running hi-lo and using 2 seperate bulbs so it will take that long to heat up etc if hes going to run 2 seperate ballast, ignitors and burner kits.

loco_corolla
19-06-2007, 09:53 PM
yes but in his case, its not h4 and hes not running hi-lo and using 2 seperate bulbs so it will take that long to heat up etc if hes going to run 2 seperate ballast, ignitors and burner kits.

True in that case, using a seperate HID kit wouldn't be a smart thing to do, plus high beams which are seperated seam to produce a very bright light that would render a hid replacement useless. HID's are mainly good for driving not for high beam.

loco_corolla
19-06-2007, 10:07 PM
You can read up on some helpful information in the club4ag forum if you's want,

www.club4ag.com

Click on reference and half way down through the first list you will see it says:

HID Lighting, the facts and fakes...worth the price?

thebob
19-06-2007, 10:21 PM
My bosch HIDs have low and high beam and only use 2 ballasts. High beam aint much of a high beam more of a retro yellow. They run from 2 different bulbs also.

iversonruls
19-06-2007, 10:23 PM
thats because your high beam is actually a halgogen globe

Sexc86
19-06-2007, 10:50 PM
really?? so you have a HID kit that uses 2 ballasts? and each ballasts has 2 lamps ? one for high beam and one for low? both HID ?... not 1 hid and 1 halogen?

Im thinking about useing my HID 8000k Kit on low beam (with ballest/tranny etc) and then replaceing the factory H1 Lamp in high beam with a 4750k HID Lamp (no Ballest) that was its strait plug and play and they will match a little better

sugz
20-06-2007, 12:30 PM
^^ dont think u can run HID without a ballast dude

Sexc86
20-06-2007, 04:06 PM
nah actually a hid just a brighter halogen lamp... eg 100 watt 4750 mtec or similar

EUR003act
16-07-2007, 02:30 PM
you cant get HID in both hi and low beam... it would be impractical! HIDs require a warm up period of approx 4mins before being switched off, plus the fact they dont reach max brightness for 30secs! hi beams need to be able to be switched on and off quickly, which is why many after market HIDs have a halogen for hi beam. the other option is a HID with hi/low cover, basically its one globe that functions as the hi and low beam globe by sliding a shield up and down. as seen in picture. theyre more expensive (approx $500 for full kit) than standard HID with halogen high beam, but you get alot better light output (halgen is no where near as bright as the HID globe, so you end up with a brighter low beam than your high beam!) you also fall into the trap of, when a H4 globe switches to high beam, the low beam turns off... meaning flashing your high beams at someone will kill your HIDs lifespan...

EUR003act
16-07-2007, 02:33 PM
also dont get HID xenon and xenon globes mixed up. all true high intensity dishcharge globes need a ballast and ignitor. they dont have a fillament, instead theres a 20,000volt arc between two electrodes. whereas in a xenon globe (not hid) there is still a fillament, but because of the xenon gas, the fillament can burn hotter and therefor produce more light, typically whiter aswell