PDA

View Full Version : engine temp

z3lda
11-07-2004, 12:20 AM
went for a drive up dandy mountains and down and i noticed that after the trip my temp gauge was on cold, as if i just started my car in the morning. i've been drivin for about an hr and normally it would be just below 1/4 but some reason its flat.

could it be from the driving up and down the moutain? the pressure in the air ? really strange.
i pulled into a servo and looked in my engne. the rocker cover was cold had warmish air from the exhaust manifold, the air intake was cold.

drove for about another 30min and still the needle didnt go up until i reached home where it jumped under 1/4 or not even.

is there something wrong with my temp sensor or is it like tat after a drive on the mounatins?
please help, kinda worried :?

wynode
11-07-2004, 12:26 AM
D16A8?

I find that mine also runs very cold under continuos high RPM shifts.......especially in the night. Given your cooling system is working normally, it takes a LOT to heat up an all alloy Honda block!

Given the cold mountain air I'd say your car is fine. The only time my temp needle ever went aboug 1/2 was when my waterpump was leaking..........

[[d a n n y]]
11-07-2004, 02:36 AM
happens to me..

on rainy cold days

noramlly it will site around 1/4

today while it was raining it sat at

1/5.1/6 all the way..

Kit
11-07-2004, 03:34 AM
you guys should have it checked out.

the engine temp sensor can become faulty over time.

If your car is incorrectly reading cold, the car will run richer air fuel mixtures (as in a cold startup) and will not only result in poor performance but also bad fuel economy.

ginganggooly
11-07-2004, 04:16 AM
first thing i'd check is the thermostat... a new one is only 20 bucks.
takes 5-10 minutes to replace.

z3lda
11-07-2004, 08:55 AM
D16A8?

nah its a b16a

this is the first time that its happen. normal daily driving to work and stuff the temp seems fine and sits at just under 1/4
first time i've taken the del sol to the moutains so its the first time thats its happen. i'll see wat the temp needle sits at on the way to work today.

Weq
11-07-2004, 12:38 PM
yeah, checkout the thermostat. it should of closed up when the car cools down that much, so it just circulates coolant round the block. if its not closeing, it will cause the cooling system to cool down 2 much because the radiator is 2 efficent with the cold weather.

z3lda
11-07-2004, 07:12 PM
its wierd the temp guage. drivingfor an hr its still very low, but as i turn corner it goes up then goes down...but driving straigh its low. then when im at home and idling its just below 1/4

where abouts is the thermostat? how do i check it?

Tonkotsu Flavour
17-07-2004, 02:34 PM
but its just the factory water temp?? not actually the engine oil temp. under 50kms the water temp will slowly rise cause not much flow.

and it usually tags 10degrees lower than ur oil temp. so higher speed, higher rpm increase ur oil temp, and effecting the water temp, by being harder to bleed off heat.

Coolies
18-07-2004, 08:41 AM
my temp gauge would sit on 1/4 rpm after a long drive
and then a few weeks later it was sitting on 'high', overheating.
problem was broken thermostat.

_Daniel
18-07-2004, 07:03 PM
on a cold startup my engine will idle anywher between 1,100 - 1,800
once I drive a bit and the needle goes up to about 1/4 - 1/2 the idle settles down a bit to about 800
not too sure if its normal

ECU-MAN
18-07-2004, 11:34 PM
on a cold startup my engine will idle anywher between 1,100 - 1,800
once I drive a bit and the needle goes up to about 1/4 - 1/2 the idle settles down a bit to about 800
not too sure if its normal

sounds like normal operation to me.