PDA

View Full Version : Why does Honda not use turbo??

IAMVTEC
19-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Every other manufacturer is using it now. Why is Honda so stubborn on this. Are they just going to keep putting out na 4 cylinder cars all our lives?

destrukshn
19-06-2007, 07:28 PM
they don't need it.
lol
hahahahaha.

jdm_kid
19-06-2007, 07:30 PM
why is the grass green ?

|N|
19-06-2007, 07:35 PM
its the other way around....

Honda is the first to develop the lift...

more power without turbo....

honda is more advanced

destrukshn
19-06-2007, 07:36 PM
its the other way around....

Honda is the first to develop the lift...

more power without turbo....

honda is more advanced
more power without turbo?
lol
ahahhaha
there's more power with turbo.

Fr3aKi3
19-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda does have a turbo powered car?

It might not be available in aus but it's still a turbo and it's current as well, not some car from distant history (ie Honda City Turbo).

Search for the Honda RDX, 2.3L Turbo

jamchen
19-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda, or i should say Acura does have factory turbo engine which is the new RDX.. 2.4 liter vtec turbo!

|N|
19-06-2007, 07:38 PM
more power without turbo?
lol
ahahhaha
there's more power with turbo.

dolma.. as in more power then traditional NA

flipstar
19-06-2007, 07:40 PM
lol cause honda got vtec lol its like 2psi of boost:P:P

arron
19-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Every other manufacturer is using it now. Why is Honda so stubborn on this. Are they just going to keep putting out na 4 cylinder cars all our lives?

Every other forum is sick of him now. Why is IAMVTEC so stubborn on this. Is he just going to keep putting out shit threads all our lives?

dsp26
19-06-2007, 08:08 PM

i get it now... you must be one of the moderators right? every forum i'm on has one... one of these accounts that psot for entertainment value...

like seriously you own a honda and imply vtec in your name and don't understand the goals and market for specific cars this company makes?

oh btw bmw developed variable valve timing and lift before honda... being the japs they innovated and enhanced using existing technology.

Zilli
19-06-2007, 08:31 PM
oh btw bmw developed variable valve timing and lift before honda... being the japs they innovated and enhanced using existing technology.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

SHIFTY
19-06-2007, 09:28 PM
umm peugeot created a version of vvti before bmw created vanos (vvti for bmw) or before basicly any1....

honda just perfected it...

gReY-oNe
19-06-2007, 09:30 PM

it had to be said

ITS BECAUSE YOU TOUCH YOURSELF AT NIGHT

DLO01
19-06-2007, 10:41 PM

Its because turbo is the easy way out. Bolt on a turbo and instant power.

Honda is about getting out of a NA engine that people would have never dreamed of.

IAMVTEC
20-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Its because turbo is the easy way out. Bolt on a turbo and instant power.

Honda is about getting out of a NA engine that people would have never dreamed of.

Why not take the easy way out? Especially when the end result isnt any better, I know turbos wouldnt be refined. But neither is VTEC, you still need to rev the engine crazy to get optimal power.

d15z1SUX
20-06-2007, 01:15 AM
no turbo. less parts. less things to break. behaves like a pedestrian car with normal driving. good fuel economy. when u drop a gear or two you get good top end performance.

20-06-2007, 01:46 AM
no turbo. less parts. less things to break. behaves like a pedestrian car with normal driving. good fuel economy. when u drop a gear or two you get good top end performance.

my car is street friendly :p
Fuel economy is fine, * just dun rev to hard LOL
i got 410-430 of a tank about 55 L every time i fill up
Foot down .. by 350 all gone!!

Drop gear.. got instant boost.. who can resist that? :wave: and vtec is on too.

Turbo Vtec yoow! ROFL

STTICH
20-06-2007, 03:01 AM
there was one honda.

the 80s top range honda city came standard wth turbo ;p

zco
20-06-2007, 08:34 AM
what is wrong with "na 4cylinders" ?? yeh. fair enuf they dont output as much power as other manufacturers. but theres more to a car than power output

the market that arent "car enthusiasts" dont really give a shit whether its turbo or not. as long as its got the power they need, for their requirements, or aesthetically appealing, or maybe that just want a reliable car or so forth, then consumers are going to buy.. just because they dont have turbo's in their car doesnt mean they're "falling behind" on technology
company's all develop cars to a diff marketshare.. the majority of company's develop all diff cars for diff segments of the market, having advantages or preference in some segment over the other.

Klayemore
20-06-2007, 11:19 AM
NA all the way!

I agree with Honda being ahead of the times - why should they change to turbo when they're masters at what they do now?

No other company has built NA engines as highly tuned for street use. Correct me if I'm wrong.

xenfacta
20-06-2007, 12:31 PM
not just about power....its just a different philosophy... like asking why subaru and porsche use boxer engines...its wat makes the curretn market interesting coz theres a range of different things to choose from.

its also overall balance.. the linearity of na power delivery is something that the turbo guys have been trying to achieve for ages instead of lagging then providing a massive chunk of power that can be unsettling for the chassis esp. mid corner

rtsnoz
20-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm suprised nobody has pointed out the market of honda. Honda aren't trying to sell to people who want super-performance vehicles. These people couldn't give a crap if it has a turbo, 100bhp or 300bhp.

steve88
20-06-2007, 01:15 PM
then why would they make the NSX NA? thats not exactly a granny mobile. i think honda probably wanted too stand out with the NA cars, and that it leaves a market open wider than paris hiltons legs on a saturday night for people too mod the **** out of them.

i personally admire how cars like the nsx and some preludes/integras can really keep up with skylines, s15's etc.

plus wouldnt the NA mean the internals don't have too be as strong? (ie. forged pistons etc)

lil_miss_vtec
20-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Why not take the easy way out? Especially when the end result isnt any better, I know turbos wouldnt be refined. But neither is VTEC, you still need to rev the engine crazy to get optimal power.

U dont need to rev vtec engines crazy! They r made to rev! Unless ppl go revving them like dickheads its not going to hurt to b vtec'n it every now and then!

:) I love my vtec :p hehe

lil_miss_vtec
20-06-2007, 02:23 PM
turbo = ultra expensive 2 insure if under 25
vtec = not ultra expensive 2 insure if under 25

:D :D :D

lil_miss_vtec
20-06-2007, 02:25 PM
not just about power....its just a different philosophy... like asking why subaru and porsche use boxer engines...its wat makes the curretn market interesting coz theres a range of different things to choose from.

its also overall balance.. the linearity of na power delivery is something that the turbo guys have been trying to achieve for ages instead of lagging then providing a massive chunk of power that can be unsettling for the chassis esp. mid corner

:thumbsup: here here :thumbsup:

dsp26
20-06-2007, 02:51 PM
IAMVTEC...

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiZkyCW4CVo

Then this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4U_Wj84XPU

and this if you feel like it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHlFCCLjW-0&mode=related&search=

Honda has a different market and purpose in terms of their performance line... regardless that in the last vid Gansan was driving the DC5r

aaronng
20-06-2007, 03:09 PM
umm peugeot created a version of vvti before bmw created vanos (vvti for bmw) or before basicly any1....

honda just perfected it...

Not really. Honda never had the equivalent to VVTi until they came out with i-VTEC in the K-series. Honda's VTEC is a 2 stage timing and lift system. VVTi and VANOS are timing only but they are infinitely variable. While i-VTEC integrated VVTi with VTEC, it only has the VVTi component (called VTC by Honda) on the intake cam. So when compared to dual-VVTi and double VANOS engines, they have the infinitely variable timing on the exhaust cam as well, something that i-VTEC doesn't have (they still use 2 stage on the exhaust side).

aaronng
20-06-2007, 03:10 PM

It's because they are Japanese. They also knew that they could get good emissions using NA. Why do you think their D series has lasted all this while to 2005, while the equivalent engines from other brands like the CA and SR-series from Nissan were killed off so early?

dsp26
20-06-2007, 03:13 PM
It's because they are Japanese. They also knew that they could get good emissions using NA. Why do you think their D series has lasted all this while to 2005, while the equivalent engines from other brands like the CA and SR-series from Nissan were killed off so early?

it's true about the SRs.. it's also the reason we couldn't get the VEs and also part of the reason regarding the 03 model 2zzge engine found in the sportivo.

twing
20-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Hmmm.. This is going to be another endless thread. But I'll join in :P
IAMVTEC, different car manufacturer has different taste of vision. It's like fruits. It's like asking why banana doesn't taste sweet like strawberry. :eek:

I personally like Honda because they make most power out of engine without sacrificing petrol consumption. I enjoy my Civic because I'm a cruiser guy, not a tracker guy. I prefer efficiency/handling/smoothness, rather than all out power. The other factor is the $$$. Don't want to spend so much on car :p

What do you enjoy most from your Honda? If you crave for power AND you have the big bucks.. maybe you should look for other cars.

BTW I'm impressed with VW. Their Golf GT sounds cool. 1.4 lt 125kw and only consumes 7.7 lt PULP !!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

aaronng
20-06-2007, 03:45 PM
BTW IAMVTEC, it's good that you made this thread. We haven't had a nice discussion on Ozhonda for quite a while. :thumbsup:

Chuckz
20-06-2007, 08:20 PM
other manufacturers r having turbos cos without turbos, they're shit, otherwise they dont need a turbo if they're good lol :p

21-06-2007, 04:12 AM
Turbo for instant power :p

N/A power is keeping the original motivation of what define a car. as back in the first internal combustion car ever build !... its never been a turbo car to start with in the history of car until late 60's - 70's

mr. Honda start their business int 1910's? after the world war.. inspired by world war machine, first of with motor cycle which transform to car.

i guess HONDA really wanted to stay N/A for some reason. might they want to keep the originality of the design and concept :)

^^^ WOOAAAH so much blubberss.. hope make sense :p

lil_miss_vtec
21-06-2007, 09:05 AM

WHOA! that is a great point!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: good work!!

didz
21-06-2007, 09:41 AM
lol... "IAMVTEC" more like "IAMLOSE" You have some very obscure ideas mate. Why go turbo when vtec can give a lot of power? My dc5R is quicker when stock than a boosted r32, stock S15 (147kw aus spec) and a d series sohc vtec turbo running at 9psi. I mean the list could go on but it would be repeating the main points.

One could say that the other manufacturers are weak in their engineering because they need the turbo add-on to give them enough power to keep up with certain NA's.
Now if mine is quicker when stock, imagine when i change the header (the stock manifold is a bottleneck and cast iron!), put a full stainless/titanium exhaust and change the intake on it.

I will still get good fuel economy (after its tuned again) and have the option of great power as well.

I see it like this, if u want a mad turbo and u dont care for fuel then get a six turbo (2jz or xr6t etc...) or just a big v8. Again this is to different people. If you dont like vtec then you dont like Honda performance in general.

aaronng
21-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I see it like this, if u want a mad turbo and u dont care for fuel then get a six turbo (2jz or xr6t etc...) or just a big v8. Again this is to different people. If you dont like vtec then you dont like Honda performance in general.

Why must he like VTEC? Everyone has the freedom to like or dislike anything and still drive a Honda. :)

Calling people names is just childish too. :thumbdwn:

aimre
21-06-2007, 10:34 AM
lol... "IAMVTEC" more like "IAMLOSE" You have some very obscure ideas mate. Why go turbo when vtec can give a lot of power? My dc5R is quicker when stock than a boosted r32, stock S15 (147kw aus spec) and a d series sohc vtec turbo running at 9psi. I mean the list could go on but it would be repeating the main points.

Youre a funny guy, @ 9psi thats SOHC should b doing about 130kw atw. Your cars not doing that, unless its got like 90% effiecieny and your cars is heavier than most dpowered cars.

Only reason u probably got him is cos he had too much power and was spinning wheels

twing
21-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Here we go... flamming time :)...
IAMVTEC, I guess you've got the answer...
well.. not really THE answer. it's all personal opinion.
If you really do want THE answer, I suggest writting to Mr Hiroyuki Yoshino.

close thread?

aaronng
21-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Here we go... flamming time :)...
IAMVTEC, I guess you've got the answer...
well.. not really THE answer. it's all personal opinion.
If you really do want THE answer, I suggest writting to Mr Hiroyuki Yoshino.

close thread?

If he has the answer, he wouldn't be asking and questioning our answers.