PDA

View Full Version : Just got new air intake, made 13kw at the wheels

cresa
20-06-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.hypertune.net/images/TO4Z/jamesdyno.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1865/clipboard01vm5.jpg

Hi, just got my 04 euro last week and i thought a intake would help bring out the vtec sound of the car.
i did a dyno run before the intake and after to actually find out how good the intake worked.

the runs are with 98octane on a automatic accord euro 04 .

have u guys got any dyno graphs of how much power your intakes have made.

i paid $350 bucks for it and it took about 5 mins to install.

i was thinking about putting some headers on later on.

Let me know if this power is average or not compared to your intakes.

BusterSonic12
20-06-2007, 04:53 PM
which intake did u get??
that figure damn good for auto, if it just has an intake, but every dyno varies
what gear did u do this dyno in?

aaronng
20-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Looks like 3rd gear to me. :thumbsup:

curik
20-06-2007, 05:39 PM
does 3rd gear go up to 160?

tony1234
20-06-2007, 05:41 PM
which intake did u get??
that figure damn good for auto, if it just has an intake, but every dyno varies
what gear did u do this dyno in?
yeah,what intake did you get?13kw ATW is good!!

cresa
20-06-2007, 05:53 PM
the dyno run was in 3rd gear.
the intake is from hypertune, they were suprised with the power gain and so were c and v performance.this was the first time that they had done a back to back dyno of the intake.

:wave:

Mr_will
20-06-2007, 06:00 PM
does 3rd gear go up to 160?

in auto, probly

TRaNz
20-06-2007, 06:02 PM
mmm very nice :)
Probably a nub question, but the intake, that umm in SRI or CAI mode when you did the run?

EuroAccord13
20-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Nice figures...

Got a photo of the intake?

Anyone knows what is the gear ratio of an auto Euro in third gear?

johnprocter
20-06-2007, 07:06 PM
hey champ thats awesome where'd u buy it from? Sydney?

tony1234
20-06-2007, 07:53 PM
the dyno run was in 3rd gear.
the intake is from hypertune, they were suprised with the power gain and so were c and v performance.this was the first time that they had done a back to back dyno of the intake.

:wave:
More pics and info on where to buy this Hypertune intake please.

cresa
20-06-2007, 08:25 PM
This was the first one they made so it looks a little bit backyard..

http://www.hypertune.net/images/TO4Z/PICT0221.JPG

http://www.hypertune.net/images/TO4Z/PICT0222.JPG

http://www.hypertune.net/images/TO4Z/PICT0223.JPG

I'll have some better pics of it on the car once they replace this one with a production version.

The production version will be one peice mandrel bent aluminium probably anodized black.

The kit includes 3" aluminium intake pipe with provisions for factory air temp sensor and what ever those other two are (dont ask me i'm a noob to the game, Ben at hypertune should have all the right answers), spun pod ram adaptor with 5" bell mouth, K&N filter, stainless steel hose clamps and thermal-flex silicone. It has all the fittings inc brass barbs, hose, rubber gromet etc.. And after i took these pics they also added a bracket which mounts the pipe solidly to a factory mounting hole near the driver-side engine mount to minimise movement..

Ben @ Hypertune 02 95257227, ben@hypertune.net

They are in Taren Pt, sydney. Just around the corner from C&V performance thus the easy back to back dyno testing..

Hope this helps.

I asked them to make me a cover/air box also which they agreed to do once we have the proper intake pipe on the car.. I'll post up some details of this asap too.

BusterSonic12
20-06-2007, 08:38 PM
so this is cai like injen/k&n?? how much was this intake? how does it actually feel when you changed it?

aaronng
20-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Nice figures...

Got a photo of the intake?

Anyone knows what is the gear ratio of an auto Euro in third gear?

stephen8512
20-06-2007, 08:51 PM
so this is cai like injen/k&n?? how much was this intake? how does it actually feel when you changed it?

id say butt dyno itd feel the same although most would say it would seem more responsive, but much like anyone that has changed their intakes will hear the noticeable growl as the only significant difference

curik
20-06-2007, 08:59 PM
wow 13kw from an intake?? that is even better than Injen's SP

edw-R
20-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Great review. 13kw is a big gain for intake.

cresa
20-06-2007, 09:08 PM
id say butt dyno itd feel the same although most would say it would seem more responsive, but much like anyone that has changed their intakes will hear the noticeable growl as the only significant difference

Bingo! There is a noticeable increase in throttle response and the growl makes it feel faster lol.. you can also definately tell that it has picked up some top end..

I guess the dyno graph shows where the differences lie and 13kw (atw) for $350 is nothing to sneeze at..

:honda::honda::honda::honda::honda::thumbsup::)

yfin
20-06-2007, 09:25 PM
wow 13kw from an intake?? that is even better than Injen's SP

It is a nice gain but that doesn't mean it is better than the Injen. Remember this is 3rd gear so if you make it 4th gear the difference is going to be less.

curik
20-06-2007, 10:38 PM
how much difference is there between 4th gear manual ratio and 3rd gear auto ratio? maybe we can estimate the gain by interpolation?

EuroAccord13
20-06-2007, 10:38 PM
It is a nice gain but that doesn't mean it is better than the Injen. Remember this is 3rd gear so if you make it 4th gear the difference is going to be less.

According to Aaron, third gear ratio is 1.08 (close to 1).. Need to know what is the fourth gear ratio to see if it's closer to 1 and hence measure off the correct gear...

Suntzu
20-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Im intrigued by this. Thats a big gain. Even with a margin of error between runs thats at least 10kw atw so a min of 13kw at the fly.

Wonder why its showing up so much better than other intakes? Especially considering the excellent price.

Any ideas on when its coming to market?

aaronng
20-06-2007, 11:20 PM

3rd gear is the right gear to dyno with since his 4th gear is 0.77.

ALN
21-06-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't understand how does it make more power, it looks like the same with other short ram intake to me lol. If the short ram like aaronng's with proper ducting and shield design looks more sense to yield good power.

tony1234
21-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Im intrigued by this. Thats a big gain. Even with a margin of error between runs thats at least 10kw atw so a min of 13kw at the fly.

Wonder why its showing up so much better than other intakes? Especially considering the excellent price.

Any ideas on when its coming to market?
Me too!!wonder what the dyno figures would be on a manual?

bennjamin
21-06-2007, 07:42 AM
should be the same or similar , if done on a gear with closest ratio to 1.00 as possible. Auto is same output as manual tho ?

aaronng
21-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't understand how does it make more power, it looks like the same with other short ram intake to me lol. If the short ram like aaronng's with proper ducting and shield design looks more sense to yield good power.

Cars are usually dyno'd with the bonnet up. :)

BusterSonic12
21-06-2007, 08:55 AM
!!! so i should of dyno on 3rd not 4th O.O i m going to dyno it when i get some free cash ^^ hehe

EuroDude
21-06-2007, 10:18 AM
13kw :eek:

Perhaps the original air filter was dirty? Thats quite an increase...
The power difference between a stock dirty filter and a stock new filter can be suprisingly high.

mmmsxc
21-06-2007, 11:06 AM
thats a good damn increase. cant wait till my injen system arrives.

BiLL|z0r
21-06-2007, 11:20 AM
The design is flawed in the real world though as it's totally open. Heat soak on this filter would be huge. Putting the pod in a box would help and add cost. It looks nothing more than a pipe with a K&N filter.

aaronng
21-06-2007, 11:29 AM
13kw :eek:

Perhaps the original air filter was dirty? Thats quite an increase...
The power difference between a stock dirty filter and a stock new filter can be suprisingly high.

It might be too good to believe. But hey, he provided the proof with the before and after dynos. How are you going to dispute that? :)

EuroDude
21-06-2007, 11:41 AM
It might be too good to believe. But hey, he provided the proof with the before and after dynos. How are you going to dispute that? :)

Yeah but the thing is if the original filter was new, the increase may have been only 2kw ;)

aaronng
21-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah but the thing is if the original filter was new, the increase may have been only 2kw ;)

His car is an 04. If the car had the 2 year/40,000km service carried out, he would be having a new filter since 2006, which makes it as clean as the one in your car. :)

cresa
21-06-2007, 12:04 PM
hey guys..

the factory filter was BRAND SPANKING NEW!! It was put in while i waited to pick up the car when i bought it last week. It would have well under 1000km on it.

I guess it is nothing more than a pipe with a filter on it. But i guess that is what flows best. It has a large flow diameter, a massive bell mouth inside the filter and a large filter surface area.

EuroDude
21-06-2007, 12:36 PM
^ Well there you go, straight out of the horses mouth :P

Nice increase! :)

sendok
21-06-2007, 04:25 PM
13kw is really great for short ram intake... :D good job!

euro77
21-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm not trying to diss anything or anyone, I think 13kw is a great increase. But there were some talk going around a while ago about how tempramental the euro's ecu is, and there could be a chance that the more dyno run the car went through, the more power it generates. From the last dyno run that I went to, almost every car shows an increase in power from 1st run to 2nd run and from 2nd run to 3rd run.

bennjamin
21-06-2007, 08:01 PM
13kw peak ? Any pix of the torque band before and after ?
This amount of "peak" increase might actually have a feel to it , rather than other simple bolt on mods ehehe

CL9-K24A3
21-06-2007, 08:25 PM
117.2 kw??dats big for A/T euro.last time i dyno my car with full exhaust,intake,&racing pulley i only got 111.5 kw.but i dyno my car on the 4th gear.

BusterSonic12
21-06-2007, 08:34 PM
117.2 kw??dats big for A/T euro.last time i dyno my car with full exhaust,intake,&racing pulley i only got 111.5 kw.but i dyno my car on the 4th gear.

don't worry, i got intake, exhaust and apexi piggyback, only got me 112kw.
he did it in 3rd gear that's why

yfin
21-06-2007, 08:42 PM
I am pretty sure the AT and MT have different ECUs on the Euro so the maps may be totally different. If that is the case bolt ons may react differently AT versus MT.

Suntzu
21-06-2007, 09:07 PM
As Ive always said. And ill say it again...

I dont want any power.:eek::eek:

I want 30-40nm throughout the rev range as thats what drives the car, esp in normal everyday driving.

AND especially when that pink hyundai excel with the P plates,playgirl sticker and lame bodykit by mattel tries to bag me up on the roundabout only using teh Powa of the Milo TiN Exhaust! :cool:

Give me NM or give me nothing.

Amen.

aaronng
21-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Doesn't matter if he dyno'd it in 3rd or 4th gear as long as both the before and after dynos were done in 3rd gear. You are looking at the gains, not the overall numbers. Everyone elses dyno numbers cannot be compared to his as they were done on a different dyno or on a different day/weather.

HYPERTUNE
22-06-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm not trying to diss anything or anyone, I think 13kw is a great increase. But there were some talk going around a while ago about how tempramental the euro's ecu is, and there could be a chance that the more dyno run the car went through, the more power it generates. From the last dyno run that I went to, almost every car shows an increase in power from 1st run to 2nd run and from 2nd run to 3rd run.

We fitted the intake setup to tha car at our workshop, then drove it to C&V for the dyno run. If you look at the dyno, you will see that the blue graph (with our intake pipe) is number 3, and the lower run (when we fited the stock intake) is number 4.

HYPERTUNE
22-06-2007, 09:50 AM

I want 30-40nm throughout the rev range as thats what drives the car, esp in normal everyday driving.

AND especially when that pink hyundai excel with the P plates,playgirl sticker and lame bodykit by mattel tries to bag me up on the roundabout only using teh Powa of the Milo TiN Exhaust! :cool:

Give me NM or give me nothing.

Amen.

Oh dear, you do have a lot to learn.......

How exactly do you think you can make a power gain without a gain in torque?????

Just for your benefit, we will get a printout showing torque :)

tony1234
22-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Oh dear, you do have a lot to learn.......

How exactly do you think you can make a power gain without a gain in torque?????

Just for your benefit, we will get a printout showing torque :)
That'd be great.a lot of us here would be int.in your intake.

Suntzu
22-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Excellent idea. I know torque is a function of rpm your highness, just making a general point about drivability.

a torque graph would be nice :)

ginganggooly
22-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Think of it in terms of bricks; torque being how many bricks the bricky can move in one load, rpm being how many loads the bricky can move per unit of time and most importantly, power being how many bricks the bricky can move per unit of time.
What counts is how many bricks in total the bricky can move in a given amount of time, not so much how many can be moved per load.
If you take the above relationship and simplify it to the nth degree, you'll understand that because we've got the same gearing in both dyno runs, and a new curve that is higher at almost every rpm increment than the original curve, the car is making more torque almost everywhere.

Thats a really impressive dyno result. Good to see the locals doing great work like this :thumbsup:

HYPERTUNE
22-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Excellent idea. your highness,

:)

That's better. :thumbsup:

HYPERTUNE
22-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Dyno showing torque....

euro77
22-06-2007, 08:55 PM
about 20Nm increase in torque all round, that's not so bad at all! the only difference with stock is you get the peak torque at a higher rpm.

aaronng
22-06-2007, 09:08 PM
about 20Nm increase in torque all round, that's not so bad at all! the only difference with stock is you get the peak torque at a higher rpm.

It's not 20Nm. The dyno is not corrected for gear ratio. That shows only tractive force at the wheels.