PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel interchangability.

turkeywing
14-10-2003, 12:07 PM
This is probably a long shot but would a '92 Civic Si take the same steering wheel as an '89 Civic GL ?

I have a leather sports steering wheel on my current Civic and I'd really like to move it over to whatever car I buy.

thanks

bennjamin
14-10-2003, 12:29 PM
If its a "momo" type steering wheel then there is no need to change the whole hub - just unscrew the steering wheel with an allen key and just transfer the whole lot !

Unless , ur steerign whel is one piece ( like a stock one) so then its possible the hub cog is a different size or thread - remember, they are different cars. But ! u never know ! Give it a try !

Or just go to SSS or sumwhere and pick up a nice momo or nardi steering wheel for $50 8)

turkeywing
14-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks bennjamin

Yes it's a two piece wheel (cant remember the name because the car is at home - but I'm told it's a SAAS knockoff).

So worse case I suppose I'll need a new hub for it.

$50? I didnt realise the price of leather steering wheels has come down so much since I bought mine!

Never heard of "SSS", maybe they're only in Sydney.

I know the people who own Autotecnica so maybe I'll pay them a visit :)

turkeywing
14-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Ok, the name of the wheel I have is "Sportline".

I dont know if they're a good wheel (I bought it secondhand) but it fits my hands nicely and feels heaps better than the stock wheel.

In fact it feels like a different car with it :)

Rufes1
15-10-2003, 12:47 AM
for a genuine momo your looking at 300 brand new. possibly more at some places. ben may be talking about the hub wich is around 50 bucks. The hub may fit the other civic Im not sure. A prelude one fit on mine fine fine which is an 89 civic gl.

Try put it on and if it doesnt fit just pop down to repco or somewhere similar and they will be able to give you a budget hub to fit your wheel and car.

turkeywing
15-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Thanks for that Rufes1.

(A Prelude wheel fitting a Civic GL certainly is surprising. I might be ok).