PDA

View Full Version : Unusual engine sound - what is it?

Alpine
21-06-2007, 07:07 PM
My gen 1 CR-V's engine has started producing an unusual tapping sound most noticable just above idle speeds.

Abit hard to hear in the video but if you turn your computer's sound right up you should be able to just make it out, especially towards the end of the video.

Any ideas what could be causing the noise? Is it valves that needs adjustment? Tappets maybe?

The car is booked in for its 70,000km service next week so I want to be able to tell the workshop about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In3A3dGmvi0

Thanks for your help.

aimre
22-06-2007, 12:11 AM
check oil levels

aaronng
22-06-2007, 12:35 AM
It will probably need a valve clearance check and adjust as well. Also have you ever had low oil levels? Does the sound increase or disappear at driving RPM of about 2000-4000rpm? Does it increase more at high rpm?

Alpine
22-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Oil levels look OK, but mind you it's due for a change.

I've never asked specifically for a valve clearance check but looking at the service booket an inspection is done by the dealer every 20,000kms. The next inspection is due at 80,000, and the car is now due for its 70,000. Should I ask for a valve clearance inspection and adjustment during the 70,000 anyway?

The noise seems to increase in rhythm with engine revs as depicted in the video...but it is quite hard to hear in the video due to the recording. In real life it is louder.

shadou
22-06-2007, 07:53 PM
get the valve clearances done just to be safe, and if it's still there I would be looking at the idler bearing. (I didn't click the link too lazy)

aaronng
22-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Oil levels look OK, but mind you it's due for a change.

I've never asked specifically for a valve clearance check but looking at the service booket an inspection is done by the dealer every 20,000kms. The next inspection is due at 80,000, and the car is now due for its 70,000. Should I ask for a valve clearance inspection and adjustment during the 70,000 anyway?

The noise seems to increase in rhythm with engine revs as depicted in the video...but it is quite hard to hear in the video due to the recording. In real life it is louder.
Valve clearance check is meant to be done every 40,000km. So get it done anyway at this 70,000km. If the noise goes away, then good. Otherwise, you'll have to keep troubleshooting.