PDA

View Full Version : White Foggies illegal?

Shimian
23-06-2007, 09:46 AM
is it illegal to change the foglights to standard lights? Looking to change to HIDs and also change my foggies to white as well. I know foggies are meant for fog, but how often does it fog in Vic? I just want to have an option of going brighter if i drive in dark areas.

cheers

Sydsyd
23-06-2007, 10:43 AM
It's not illegal as long as it's white, but u should consider that the white light wouldn't penetrate fog much...and for some reason white halogen lights are not as bright as normal stock yellow lights...

I'd say ur HID would be bright enough to light the road in the dark...foggies would only help a bit, not by much imo...unless u use HID for foggies too:p

kn1ghtm4r3
23-06-2007, 01:48 PM
i thought the real yellow bulbs would be best at cutting through fog and helping u see ?

Sydsyd
23-06-2007, 02:16 PM
yep, that's my point exactly...

unless u want to use HIDs for ur headlights and foggies too lol:p

and after that, be ready to be pulled by cops;)

Shimian
23-06-2007, 06:11 PM
i thought the real yellow bulbs would be best at cutting through fog and helping u see ?

Like i said, it hardly ever fogs up here. I know that if you use other than yellow for foggies, it will not cut through. I dotn care about that. I want to change my main lights to HIDs and looking to change my foggies to white as well (HIDs or standard white) as long as its LEGAL.

Also wondering if i change just my light bulbs (NOT HIDs) to something from here
http://www.autobarn.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=core484&nav_cat_id=core373&nav_top_id=core64

Im a noob to lights, so if someone could advise which globes to get that produces the brightest/clearest white light, and at the same time not melt my lens/cover. This is for a Civic FD2. Looking to take advantage of autobarns 20% off sale.

edit: Looks like the only approved one for road use is Vision Plus. Anyone used this?

cheers

Mr_will
23-06-2007, 06:19 PM
in nsw it is illegal to have your foglights on when it is not foggy.

Shimian
31-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Reviving my own post here.

Just found this bit of information under
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Cars/VehicleStandards/default.htm --> Lamps and Lighting PDF

This is an extract of the PDF

9.7 Front Fog Lamps
Reference ADR 19.6.10 ADR 50/...

1. Purpose
This lamp shows a white or yellow light which improves the illumination of the road is conditions of fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust clouds.

My head is spinning cos im getting different answers from everyone. Some say its ok, some say its illegal.

Can someone confirm? This is for Victoria

Sydsyd
31-07-2007, 08:06 PM
easy answer...just do it...95% chance u won't get defected...i've seen rexxys with big ass white foggies driving behind me and passed the police, never got stopped...

Shimian
31-07-2007, 08:34 PM
well, i only want to do it if its legal and i can back myself up if i get pulled over. I want to make sure that what im reading is correct.

NightKids
31-07-2007, 08:42 PM
White fog lights = useless for fog

but then u say you don't want to use it for fog & just to have them on for normal driving

Fog lights on when no fog = illegal

So i think you got your answer there mate, DON'T DO IT!

shadou
31-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I have foggies on my car, white bulbs and no problems with cops. I don't see why they are illegal to have them on when no fog is present, it's not like they will blind on coming traffic or distract them

Shimian
31-07-2007, 09:22 PM
You see where im coming from. Everyone has different opinions. Im trying to find some legal documents where it says 'if no fog, fog lights cant be turned on'. So far I have established that the bulb could be yellow or white.

thaaznboi
31-07-2007, 09:25 PM
i'm currently using 3000K HID headlights..full on yellow but havne't had cop trouble... i havne't driven beside dem..behind dem...goin the opposite way but nufing yet.. ::D it's mad! JDM YELLOW!

Shimian
31-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Maybe ill just get some bright bulbs for my foggies if im not allowed to get white foggies

NightKids
31-07-2007, 09:41 PM
WoW your crazy dude, I can't believe you chucked in the yellow bulbs, they are highly illegal! lol

55EXX
31-07-2007, 09:47 PM
i have narva actic blue, are a bright pure white with a smidge of blue, in my projector headlights and narva artic blue fog lights in my ek and drive with both on every night past cops next to cops park near cops everything never had trouble. only once i drove through a random breath test station and all the copper said was turn off you fog lights there is no fog tonight but i've driven through other ones tons of times at night and nothing was said about it. i live in qld and it never fogs here but having the white bulbs during normal driving make road signs a 100 times more visible! i would recomend using those narva artic blue bulbs in your fogs as long as you set your fogs to point down as far as practical so that it doesn't shine onto oncoming traffic. park facing the side of a building a decent distance away with just your fogs on and set them so the strongest part of the beam on the building is no higher than the hieght of the light. there still will be light above this point just not the blindingly brigh light just the good white stuff to illuminate signs etc better.

shadou
31-07-2007, 09:55 PM
why is it illegal some one please explain, I mean I see ****s drive with rear fog light (the one that is as bright as brake lights and yes red) and it confuses the **** out of me, that should be illegal having them on at night in no fog, not front fogs.

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 10:09 PM
You see where im coming from. Everyone has different opinions. Im trying to find some legal documents where it says 'if no fog, fog lights cant be turned on'. So far I have established that the bulb could be yellow or white.
It doesn't appear to be illegal to use front fog lights in Victoria, there's no fine for it on VicRoads website, but there is a fine for using rear fog lights.

Also stated here by RACV

Fog lights are designed to improve the visibility of the road directly ahead of the vehicle during fog. To work effectively these lights must be fitted with the specified globes and correctly aimed. There is no reason to use front fog lights during normal weather conditions, although this is not illegal.
Source (http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/Primary/my+car/car+safety/safety+equipment/lighting/)

But putting in HID's is just plain silly due to the amount of excessive glare it can cause.

why is it illegal some one please explain, I mean I see ****s drive with rear fog light (the one that is as bright as brake lights and yes red) and it confuses the **** out of me, that should be illegal having them on at night in no fog, not front fogs.

If the road is wet or slick with ice, but there's no falling precipitation, fog lamps should be used with discretion. Their extra downward light can help compensate for the tendency of water to "soak up" the light on the road from your headlamps. But, this extra downward light hitting a road surface shiny with water or ice will also create high levels of reflected glare for other drivers.

In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 10 feet in front of your left wheels. But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 30 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. If you increase the foreground light, your pupils react to the bright, wide pool of light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. It's insidious, because high levels of foreground light give the illusion, the subjective impression, of comfort and security and "good lighting".
Source (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html)

Shimian
31-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Ok, according to the source (RACV site), it is ok to use white light as foggies and it is LEGAL to drive with them on during normal conditions. My question is, does the RACV website count as a legal document?

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 10:55 PM
It's easier to call your local police station or VicRoads and get an answer, heck get it in writing if you must.

Obviously, we can't satisfy your questions on OzHonda.

And don't say because, maybe someone on this forum might know the answer, well after 18 replies spanning across 8 days, it doesn't seem there appears to be an answer that satisfies your curiosity.

Shimian
31-07-2007, 10:59 PM
It's easier to call your local police station or VicRoads and get an answer, heck get it in writing if you must.

Obviously, we can't satisfy your questions on OzHonda.

And don't say because, maybe someone on this forum might know the answer, well after 18 replies spanning across 8 days, it doesn't seem there appears to be an answer that satisfies your curiosity.

Take it easy bro. Im just asking a question.

dupac->
31-07-2007, 11:02 PM
should be ok. just dont leave them on at random times when theres no fog.
lol @ neonode

Q_ball
31-07-2007, 11:05 PM
All good and well asking a forum about this sorta thing, but seriously, if u want a clear cut answer, you're best calling them up.
Rather than waiting 8 days for an answer which no one can assure you of, you'd get ur answer within 5mins over the fone (excluding hold times :p)

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I am providing you with an solution that if you are able to get in writing will be a legal document or at least have that peace of mind knowing you got a proper answer at least.

Just call your local police station or VicRoads and ask them, unless you are shy or afraid to call? I assure you they won't bite man, sall good.

Asking OzHonda isn't going to help much if the answer isn't provided after 8 days from 19 replies, all our advice should be taken with a grain of salt and use common sense in deciding what to do.

Surely you can understand what i'm saying by now, I tried to help, but we are not lawyers, police, VicRoads on this forum, so the only option left is for you to ask the horses mouth and get a proper answer.

Imagine if someone gave you the wrong advice on here and got you into more trouble, then you would be wishing that you called up and clarified wouldn't ya?

NightKids
31-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Finally.... case *closed*

Shimian
31-07-2007, 11:14 PM
I revived the post as i had the time to sit down and search through vicroads for the solution. And yes, i will give them a buzz to find out answer.
Thanks guys for all your responses

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I revived the post as i had the time to sit down and search through vicroads for the solution. And yes, i will give them a buzz to find out answer.
Thanks guys for all your responses
:thumbsup: Don't forget to reply back with the proper answer, then people have something to search about next time this question pops up lol.

TheGoodDeal
31-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I believe it's illegal in NSW. So it depend on your luck and mood of cops. A few years back my friend had been pull over and got fine for turning fog light on (when no fog is present).

Shimian
31-07-2007, 11:22 PM
:thumbsup: Don't forget to reply back with the proper answer, then people have something to search about next time this question pops up lol.

no probs.. make it a sticky :p

Q_ball
31-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I believe it's illegal in NSW. So it depend on your luck and mood of cops. A few years back my friend had been pull over and got fine for turning fog light on (when no fog is present).

NSW and VIC laws are different.

NeoNode
31-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Ahaha since NSW is brought into this thread, might as well provide the info to save time searching lol.

From the RTA Road User Hand book

FOG LIGHTS
Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limityour vision. It is a legal requirement that once conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched off. If your vehicle is not fitted with fog lights you may use your headlights during the day in these adverse conditions.

Source (http://163.189.7.150/licensing/downloads/road_user_handbook_english_print.pdf)

Also carries a $79 fine and 2 points if caught using fog lights in NSW.

Drew
31-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Reviving my own post here.

Just found this bit of information under
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Cars/VehicleStandards/default.htm --> Lamps and Lighting PDF

This is an extract of the PDF

9.7 Front Fog Lamps
Reference ADR 19.6.10 ADR 50/...

1. Purpose
This lamp shows a white or yellow light which improves the illumination of the road is conditions of fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust clouds.

My head is spinning cos im getting different answers from everyone. Some say its ok, some say its illegal.

Can someone confirm? This is for Victoria

Changing to white will not improve illumination in fog, snow, rain or dust..

So yes technically it's illegal

TheGoodDeal
31-07-2007, 11:36 PM
FYI

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi12.pdf

e) only be used in inclement weather. (page 15)

Mr_will
01-08-2007, 01:48 AM
the legislation clearly indicates that there is no specific offense for using your foglights when it is not foggy.

in nsw the rules are different, and you may not do this.

however, please have some consideration for other road users. i dislike intensely, people who use their foglights uncessarily because it 'looks cool'. it is annoying and distracting to other drivers. so dont do it.

Shimian
21-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok, finally got the time to call up these places cos their opening hours happens to be my work hours. Spoke to 2 consultants for each both saying the same thing. Here are the results.

RACV:
What colour?:
White or Yellow lights are allowed

Can we drive with them on during normal conditions?
Call VicRoads. They will have the information.

VICROADS:
What colour?:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/99931A9A-6DD7-4CDA-8C84-92B6622B47E4/0/VSI10.pdf

No. If you do get pulled over, you need to explain why they were on. Unless you give a legitimate reason, then you will get fined.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/7D4160E1-F8A3-4834-9A6A-E49DC664C85A/0/part_13.pdf

It does not state clearly if you can drive them on during normal conditions, but it does mention hazadeous conditions only and police will fine you depending on mood.

philBo
21-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Ok, finally got the time to call up these places cos their opening hours happens to be my work hours. Spoke to 2 consultants for each both saying the same thing. Here are the results.

RACV:
What colour?:

Call VicRoads. They will have the information.

VICROADS:
What colour?:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/99931A9A-6DD7-4CDA-8C84-92B6622B47E4/0/VSI10.pdf

No. If you do get pulled over, you need to explain why they were on. Unless you give a legitimate reason, then you will get fined.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/7D4160E1-F8A3-4834-9A6A-E49DC664C85A/0/part_13.pdf

It does not state clearly if you can drive them on during normal conditions, but it does mention hazadeous conditions only and police will fine you depending on mood.

there is no need to be driving with them on all the time anyways. and yes, it is at the discretion of the police to impose a fine as always

i would recommend getting some foglight bulbs which are 'yellowish' as these would be best for vision in the event of a fog occuring. using white bulbs would do shitall for it, which really defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.