PDA

View Full Version : engine rattly at low revs..

YLDCRD
23-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Its an eg civic vti manual. Anyway, i only noticed recently that when i find the friction point and rev the car around 1000-1500rpm and drive off, that the engine starts to make a bit of a rattly/tappet type noise. then it starts to fade out after i accelerate more. However doesnt happen when i find the friciton point and rev the car around 1800-2000. The noise is predominately heard in the low range rpm and in 1 and 2nd gears.
Im thinking tappets need adjusting ? or clutch on way out?

Any info would be great guys...

SLOWEGG
23-06-2007, 03:25 PM
I had this problem turned out i had a crack in my extractors.

dc2vtir
23-06-2007, 03:30 PM
how did u find out that u cracked ur extractors coz my car was makin the same sound the other night but it was only that night..the next day i couldnt hear it anymore

YLDCRD
23-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Did your mechanic say it was the extractors straight away? or did he state any other possible reasons for the sound?

considering it has something to do with my friction point, maybe its got something to do with my clutch? + i notice a really subtle realease bearing noise.. so cluctch is going out...
but who knows...lol

Need more input pleeasseee

yah mum
23-06-2007, 04:21 PM
where abouts is the nois coming from?
it could be ur heat sheild under ur car for the exhaust.
hope that helps

YLDCRD
23-06-2007, 04:35 PM
where abouts is the nois coming from?
it could be ur heat sheild under ur car for the exhaust.
hope that helps

Noise coming from engine bay area...but maybe under car too. Its hard to tell coz it only happens for in low revs...
Where abouts is the heatshield under the car??
I will definately check it out, sounds like a reasonable thought
Thanks mate

jeckt
23-06-2007, 11:53 PM
not to hijack the thread but i am also having these kinda problems

i have an ek sedan gli manual and the rattle happens predominately at low revs in first gear, not much noticeable in other gears though

anyone know what it is?

fanx

loco_corolla
24-06-2007, 11:38 AM
most probly heat shields or anything to do with the exhaust. That's the most usual component to start making noise in a car. Mine has done it a few times.

YLDCRD
24-06-2007, 01:25 PM
most probly heat shields or anything to do with the exhaust. That's the most usual component to start making noise in a car. Mine has done it a few times.

Yeh i understand where your coming from? But thing is, it doesnt happen when i leave it in idle and rev the car? Thats what leaves me in a dilemma :(
so no one can kinda confirm that it is/isnt the tappets??

dudeling7
24-06-2007, 02:25 PM
tappets is more of a constant ticking noise on idle and speeds up when u rev the engine a bit.

maybe its somethign to do with your clutch im not sure what though. my clutch makes a slight clunk when i engage it but im getting it changed anyday now because i think its on its last legs.

SHIFTY
24-06-2007, 04:16 PM
check ur engine mounts... could be them... if it the kind of tapping noise im thinking of..

check for cracks in them.. even give them a lil bit of a shake and see if u can reproduce the noise!

goodluck!

Killa From Manila
24-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeh i understand where your coming from? But thing is, it doesnt happen when i leave it in idle and rev the car? Thats what leaves me in a dilemma :(
so no one can kinda confirm that it is/isnt the tappets??

my car has the exact same problem. makes a rattling sound like theres rocks inside the engine when i find the friction point around 1300rpm. but it does NOT make the rattle if i have the clutch pressed and rev the engine or have it in neutral and rev it. i was thinking more of a gearbox problem since it only does it when im in gear. doesnt matter if the car is stil or rolling it makes the sound.

Professional
24-06-2007, 05:32 PM
There are few points you should notice.
- Clean and Check IACV
- Tappet adjustment
- Check and Tighten up all bolts

In ozhonda forum, there are many good DIY jobs in DIY section. Hope it may help !!

DIY tappet adjustment
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443

IACV clean / check !
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4693&highlight=IACV

Replaced IACV and Still High revs ?? FIXED !!
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51798&highlight=IACV

SHIFTY
24-06-2007, 05:38 PM
does it make the sound when u start up the car and sounds like it coming from the gear shifter ?

YLDCRD
24-06-2007, 05:41 PM
does it make the sound when u start up the car and sounds like it coming from the gear shifter ?

Nope not a single sound from start up, Just from take off in 1 and 2nd gear....
Well i dont really know EXACTLY where its coming from, but seems like engine area. So my best bet is give my mechanic a call.

If anyone knows for sure what it could be please let me know
Cheers..

SHIFTY
24-06-2007, 05:55 PM
check ur engine mounts are not cracked or loose...

this could be a possability.. but if it is engine noise... then... it prob what others above have mentioned..

ur best bet is 2 get ur mechanic 2 have a look!

creativepunka
24-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Possably piston slap or slight detonation. Is it worse with the A/C on?

loco_corolla
24-06-2007, 07:43 PM
You'll find that exhaust rattles only appear when the engine is at certain loads or at a certain rpm, in your case it's on 1st taking off where there is alot of movement in the mechanics to get the car rolling.

If it's the engine mounts who should be able to feel the car shake, sometimes at high speeds. Also on hard shifting you would notice that something doesn't feel right, like it seems the engine itself is moving around. If you haven't touched the motor i wouldn't worry about that, more other stuff, usually things you have modified.

rawr
24-06-2007, 07:46 PM
i have same problem.. heat shield is loose/cracked

Alpine
24-06-2007, 08:51 PM
What exactly is the heat shield - is it the metal cover that hides the exhaust manifold? How do I check for looseness or cracks in this heat shield?

rawr
24-06-2007, 09:14 PM
um my one was under the car covering the exhaust..

jack up the car and get someone to rev the car as you look at the bottom of the car to see where the rattling is coming from

Alpine
24-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Which part of the exhaust? It's a pretty long thing!

loco_corolla
24-06-2007, 11:54 PM
There are several heat shields, one for the extractors, the cat and resonator, also the tunnel has heat shields as well bolted to the chassis, but they are unlikely to come loose. Jack up the car and hit the exhaust in every place, and you will find ur rattle, if it is that.

vtecbrad
25-06-2007, 12:17 AM
I had a very similar problem with my EK, but mine was around 2500rpm,
got the car up on ramps today, had a look, checked everything i could, turned out to be my Exhaust Flow Meter, (On Extractors Near Cat) the washer was moving around, turns out the washer wasnt big enough, so i just put a bigger one on it, Pronto Fixed, but i found a nice big dent on my exhaust near the back, So Not Happy,
If you can just get the front wheels of the ground, SAFELY!!! and see if it only under load that the car makes the rattling noise, if nothen you need someone to drive it and see, preferably someone who knows what they are doing,
Anyways Good Luck with finding it, there is nothing i hate more than an annoying RATTLE, makes driving the car CRAP!

jeckt
26-06-2007, 11:47 PM
i got a similar problem too, mine is an 97 EK sedan GLi

i went to the mechanic today and he said that my gearbox bearing had killed itself, because the car would only rattle when:

*Clutch is engaged - engine running idle
*1st/2nd gear - sound lessens the higher the gear

the rattle stops when the clutch is disengaged or when i'm in 3rd gear or higher

does anyone know the costs of fixing this problem??

ginganggooly
27-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Just a long shot, but when you load the motor up in a higher gear, say, lugging it from about 2krpm in 3rd, do you get the rattling noise then?

If it does it under load, perhaps it's pinging...

SiReal
27-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I had the same problem on ek gli manual.

I'm guessing its got something to do with some kind of bearings. but it didnt affect the way the car drove so i just left it.

aaronng
27-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Throwout bearing if it happens when the clutch is pressed in.

jeckt
27-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Nah it doesn't happen under heavy loading

Throwout bearing if it happens when the clutch is pressed in.

the rattling happens when the clutch is released (engaged with the engine), so is it the throwout bearing, or some other bearing?

btw how much will it cost to fix a throwout bearing, parts + labour - will it damage any other parts if i don't fix it?

TKO
27-06-2007, 04:17 PM
i got a similar problem too, mine is an 97 EK sedan GLi

i went to the mechanic today and he said that my gearbox bearing had killed itself, because the car would only rattle when:

*Clutch is engaged - engine running idle
*1st/2nd gear - sound lessens the higher the gear

the rattle stops when the clutch is disengaged or when i'm in 3rd gear or higher

does anyone know the costs of fixing this problem??

Me got this noise as well. And from last week until now... i cant engage my fifth gear Even when the engine is off. Just cant push into the stock. Gear 1 -4 still well fine. Just sound rough when in 1st trying to accelerate, or when off gas travel (rolling along).

I am getting the box and the clutch replaced.

I still have no idea what happen but i have enough traveling in 4th most of the time.

2nd hand box cost me ~$450. New clutch ~400.

Is this a common problem for EG Vti's box? If anyone could pinpoint what happen would be great.

aaronng
27-06-2007, 10:46 PM
the rattling happens when the clutch is released (engaged with the engine), so is it the throwout bearing, or some other bearing?

btw how much will it cost to fix a throwout bearing, parts + labour - will it damage any other parts if i don't fix it?
In that case, it would be the input shaft bearing. You'll have to drop the gearbox to replace it.

jeckt
27-06-2007, 11:55 PM
In that case, it would be the input shaft bearing. You'll have to drop the gearbox to replace it.

ouchie...isn't any harm to keep driving with the input shaft bearing having killed itself

oh and what kills the input shaft bearing? isn't just normal wear and tear? or it's something that causes it to happen, just for future reference

dc2vtir
27-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Me got this noise as well. And from last week until now... i cant engage my fifth gear Even when the engine is off. Just cant push into the stock. Gear 1 -4 still well fine. Just sound rough when in 1st trying to accelerate, or when off gas travel (rolling along).

I am getting the box and the clutch replaced.

I still have no idea what happen but i have enough traveling in 4th most of the time.

2nd hand box cost me ~$450. New clutch ~400.

Is this a common problem for EG Vti's box? If anyone could pinpoint what happen would be great.

just maybe a possibility but could it be your gear synchros..similar problem to my car once

feel free to correct me if im wrong ppl