PDA

View Full Version : A/C Relay

EDCivic
24-06-2007, 09:40 AM
First post so be nice. We have a 1991 GL ED Civic and noticed the other day that the A/C will not switch on. I searched high and low to see if it was a fuse issue but could not find any reference to a a/c fuse in the fuse boxes (inside and under hood) so perhaps it's a relay, but where is it ?

ECU-MAN
24-06-2007, 11:22 AM
the ac system as a hi/lo pressure switch, so if the ac gas is to low in pressure the ac system will not kick in.

EDCivic
24-06-2007, 05:47 PM
So it couldn't be anything else ? You could freeze sides of lamb with a/c when it was running. Maybe it has developed a leak ?

ECU-MAN
24-06-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah it could be a number of things, from the thermostat, tx valve, ecu, wiring. you should start with testing the pressure switch for continuity.

EDCivic
26-06-2007, 07:52 AM
This switch problem is a bit of a mystery because it now works again, but when it switches on their is a different audible click from somewhere between the dash and firewall area. Could this be that pressure switch ?

EG30
26-06-2007, 08:25 AM
is it a clicking sound under the dash or a hissing sound from a/c gas leaking?

SlobberGoat
26-06-2007, 11:02 AM
on two of my ED's the clutch on the a/c compressor went...

EDCivic
26-06-2007, 07:26 PM
is it a clicking sound under the dash or a hissing sound from a/c gas leaking?
It's just one click sound coming form high up under the Instrument binnacle. I swear it never did it before, but then again it could be and early sign of oldtimers disease. We have had the car long enough to know what sounds it makes ?!?!?. Oh well no matter I'll get it sussed out by our Honda repairer dude. Thanks for the suggestions so far :thumbsup:

EG30
27-06-2007, 04:50 AM
I had an ED sedan which I had till few mths ago.

It was working fine, with artic cold A/C R134a already converted, much better than my EG's A/C.

Then it stopped working one day ie the A/C switch lights up but no A/C action, so it's either the A/C compressor faulty or low on gas. Unplugged the low pressure cut out switch and bridged the connections and the compressor cut in straight away so the system was low on gas and the switch cut off the the compressor.

After that I recalled hearing hissing sound from under the dash near the console ie where the heater box/evaporator the week before, so there you have it.

EDCivic
27-06-2007, 07:48 AM
....I forgot to mention and sorry for the confusion that when the a/c does not turn on the a/c switch does not light up.

ECU-MAN
27-06-2007, 09:03 AM
the globe could be blown in the switch.

check all yoru fuses.

its normal to hear hissing sounds when the a/c is operating. its the TX valve doing its thing.

CRXer
27-06-2007, 11:48 AM
If the A/C light doesnt come on,then u possibly have a bad ground or dirty contacts on your fan switch.