PDA

View Full Version : Alignment + Camber + 4 new tyres

petsfact
25-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I am not some car maniac so i don't know how these thing works.

I replaced all 4 coerners last sat + front and rear alignment done.

So i am assuming the car must at least drive normal, or straight but not worse than before. So the car alignment is out because i need to point the steering a fair bit to the right to make the car go straight.

Ring the shop, saying i want to bring my car in for another alignment free of charge, then i get all this bullshit saying that it's your camber that's making the car go weird, that's the new tyres that make the car drive funny you need to drive until they go straight on themeselves...... now that's really funny.

Then after much negotiation they "allow" me to bring the car back in and will have a "look" but won't put on the machine unless it is "in fact needed".

so my question, is the car suppose to go straight after 4 new tyres + alignment if they are done properly?

destrukshn
25-06-2007, 09:39 AM
YES it is.

bennjamin
25-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Is the suspension stock / unmodified ? If so there wont be a camber issue.
Post up your alignment info here for people to view*
All you should need to do is go over , grab any employee there and go for a quick drive and show them that the wheel is indeed out of whack.

*you should of gotten an alignment specs sheet printout from the company

mmmsxc
25-06-2007, 10:13 AM
that is weird. obviously the guy thats done the allignment doesnt know whats going on.

tron07
25-06-2007, 10:42 AM
So i am assuming the car must at least drive normal, or straight but not worse than before. So the car alignment is out because i need to point the steering a fair bit to the right to make the car go straight.

Does the car pull to the right or left if you let go the steering on a flat straight road?? If not, then the aligment is allright.

Probably the steering not centered properly, thus when you are going straight, the steering is turn slightly to the right. Bring the car back and ask them to center it.

LXRY
25-06-2007, 12:44 PM
How old is the car (km's)?
What year ?
This does not sound right !!
Show the specs if you can as stated above.
Keep us posted !!

Dylanamus
25-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Almost all roads slope from the centre towards the gutter too..

petsfact
25-06-2007, 01:24 PM
the car is totally stock, no modification whatsoever, currently close to 50k kms.

when i let go of the steering it pull to the left, and i have to slightly force the steering to the right to go straight all the time.

Dylanamus
25-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Definitely take it back to the place that did the alignment.

tony1234
25-06-2007, 03:55 PM
That's BS what they're telling you.Your car should drive better after 4xtyres +alignment.You're not expecting too much!!Be polite but FIRM,Bottom line,you want it fixed.

aaronng
25-06-2007, 04:07 PM
the car is totally stock, no modification whatsoever, currently close to 50k kms.

when i let go of the steering it pull to the left, and i have to slightly force the steering to the right to go straight all the time.

What brand/model of tyres did you get and could you please post up your alignment specs (you should ask them to write or print it out for you)

euro77
25-06-2007, 11:00 PM
the toe could be out, but that should've been covered during the wheel alignment, so get it back to the shop. if they won't do anything about it, take your loss, then take your money to other shop.

destrukshn
25-06-2007, 11:10 PM
if anything was wrong, they should tell you as well.

che_ryan
26-06-2007, 08:32 AM
hi petsfact...

You know what i've got exactly (or almost) the same case with you. My steering is out of whack so i bring it to beaupaires (melbourne), then the guys told that the allignment is done and still the steering issue can't be rectified because something wrong with the camber (they said its bent) i said what the heck? i never did any offroad or hit anything till something is bent, so i went to Honda service, they did another wheel allignemnt and everything is fix...the allignment that beaupaires did is totally WRONG...some said the fact that they match it with an older accord model spec allignment. At the end nothing wrong with the camber itself since euro camber is not adjustable.

hope this help

petsfact
30-06-2007, 10:42 AM
ok....update, got the car check in again, did a small adjustment on right front wheel.... drive normal now doesn't pull to the left...

great help from the bs tyre shop, can't see the person picked up the phone on monday though...

aaronng
30-06-2007, 01:22 PM
At least it doesn't pull now. To all those with their Euro that doesn't pull but have a crooked steering wheel, that is adjustable. For example, if your steering wheel is pointing to the right, they only need to adjust the left toe outwards by say -0.5mm and adjust the right toe inwards by 0.5mm. The total is not changed so your car still drives the same, but the whole rack is turned to the left by 0.5mm, so your steering wheel centering will go back to the left.

petsfact
04-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi all, just to update another potential problem.

After the 2nd alignment everything is back to normal but then i realize a slight steering shudder at certain speed, on freeway.

around 100km/h the car is smooth in going straight line, with a bit of shuddering once in a while, not constant, so i thought it was the road surface. then today i realize when taking a wide left long bend on freeway, very light and long bend travelling at around 100km/h, the steering shudder, also not constant, it comes on and off, the steering feels like it's pulling itself trying to correct the position without knowing where to turn, i.e left right left right shuddering.

or maybe put it this way, when driving on tram line, taking off in first gear the steering always pull hard to either side to look for friction surface, except this one is very light.

I rule out the road surface because it is the lane i take everyday even before tyres were changed and it was perfectly fine.

Just wondering if you guys know what could be the reason so i can bring the car back for the 3rd time........ :(

all 4 tyres is at cold 36psi, the shuddering is most obvious in the morning when i just get on freeway pretty quick after coming out of the garage, after work it's not that obvious but still detectable because i drive around 10 minutes on subrub road before getting on freeway. could the tyre pressure be the problem?

aaronng
05-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Go back down to 34 psi. You sure your tyre place balanced the wheels properly?

Also, what are the alignment settings on your car now? Did you get a printout?

tron07
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Could be the tire is not balanced and you feel the vibration at high speed

tony1234
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Could be the tire is not balanced and you feel the vibration at high speed
That's what i was thinking.Get them to redo them,a wheel could have thrown a weight.

petsfact
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Go back down to 34 psi. You sure your tyre place balanced the wheels properly?

Also, what are the alignment settings on your car now? Did you get a printout?

yeh you were right, put the pressure down to 34 this morning, and couldn't be happier...

i went back to the tyre place this morning because m1 was closed and couldn't go anywhere, suddenly realize i was stucked in the traffic and only next to the tyre shop so drove straight in.

he did mention though on 34 psi the tyre wear out faster. but hell it's so much more comfortable now.

aaronng
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
yeh you were right, put the pressure down to 34 this morning, and couldn't be happier...

i went back to the tyre place this morning because m1 was closed and couldn't go anywhere, suddenly realize i was stucked in the traffic and only next to the tyre shop so drove straight in.

he did mention though on 34 psi the tyre wear out faster. but hell it's so much more comfortable now.

Just use 34psi for a few hundred kms, and then try going back up to 36psi. It should be better after that.