PDA

View Full Version : EJ8 Rear drum to disk brake conversion

kerim
25-06-2007, 04:09 PM
what is needed to do a rear drum to disk brake conversion on an EJ8, do you only need the rear hub, rotor, caliper and knuckle or is there more to it?

P.S if anyone selling the conversion please let me know

thanks

z3lda
25-06-2007, 04:24 PM
just buy a complete rear ek4 trailin arm wit the e-brake cable

kerim
25-06-2007, 04:25 PM
how much would the whole kit cost

z3lda
25-06-2007, 04:27 PM
u can problyy pick it up for about 400-600 dependin on wreckers

Zdster
25-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Each trailing arm will cost you in the $150-180 region from a wrecker, plus as Zelda said you will need the emergency brake cable. Also factor in getting some new pads and machining the disc.

There are a few good write up on the net - I can search around for them if you like later.

zco
25-06-2007, 04:58 PM
if you're in sydney. it'll ccost you roughly 300-350. dont know what it costs in other states

you can get rear disc brakes from EG's DC's and EK's. they're all interchangeable

trailing arm hubs and disc & rotor handbrake cables. brake pads. and some brake fluid to bleed your brakes.

remember, after all this, one important thing you need is a wheel alignment

CTR Coupe
25-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Like people have said expect 450-600 depending on wrecker for the trailing arms and E-brake cable. you will also need the correct proportioning valve (4040) and a larger master cylinder(1"). These items are not essential if you only want the "look" and don't your drive your car hard.
However i would at least recommend that you get the correct proportioning valve without it you will experience too much rear brake bias and you may lock the rears before the fronts putting you into a spin.
the master cylinder is about $350 and i don't know about proportioning valve.
also factor in new pads(matched to your fronts) and disk machining. you wont know how long the trailing arms have been laying around in the wrecking yard.

heres a question for the people that have done the swap do you require new brake lines for the rear?
I would probably replace the front and rears lines with braided lines while i was replacing most other components.

Did anyone retain their ABS?

z3lda
26-06-2007, 01:20 PM
after all this, i dont think the OP will want to do a rear disc converision anymore. lolol

kerim
26-06-2007, 01:29 PM
after all this, i dont think the OP will want to do a rear disc converision anymore. lolol

You are right there buddy, thought it might have been less,

anyhow thanks for the advice

Zdster
26-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Proportioning valves go for around $200 at a wrecker. FYI I have a few master cylinders and proportioning valves at home if anyone wants them for a far price.

muhhan
27-06-2007, 09:38 PM
This conversion is definitely on my list. Kerim, essentially the parts you mentioned are what's required to convert the brakes, but I think to remove the individual components it is more work than just swapping the entire trailing arm assembly out. And what use would a wrecker have for a bare trailing arm?

If you want to find out more about the conversion take a look at the following links:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22692&highlight=brakes (contains brief discussion and more links)
http://www.hazone.com/hdiscswap.htm (quite a detailed guide based on the hybrid Civic using the US Civic Si as a donor, not sure what the equivalent model in Oz is)
http://www.geocities.com/_nitro_/reardiscswap/reardiscs.html (another detailed guide again based on the US Civic Si as donor)

I think this is a really good modification for looks, performance, and safety.

thebob
27-06-2007, 09:47 PM
We done this conversion to mine, we used a EG6 rear setup. Just make sure if your car has ABS then you get a brake setup with abs.

kerim
27-06-2007, 11:23 PM
We done this conversion to mine, we used a EG6 rear setup. Just make sure if your car has ABS then you get a brake setup with abs.

How much you end up paying all up for the parts,