PDA

View Full Version : oil temp reading locations (oil cooler related)

BlitZ
25-06-2007, 05:08 PM
For all those who uses the holes on the sandwich plate for oil temp..
Do u guys use the pre or post cooler holes.
Pre would read hotter and closer to sump temp, but post would read the temp just before it enters the engine again

DLO01
25-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeh, on my old Grex sandwich 2 hose cooler. I had Temp PRE and pressure POST cooler.

Thats the best way. As you get your hottest temps in the sump and you can see what pressure is entering the motor.

With my current cooler setup. Its a remote filter arrangement and I have that after the cooler going to the motor. So both pressure and temp are post cooler.

BlitZ
25-06-2007, 05:38 PM
hey man,
Did u keep you factory ITR oil cooler/exchanger when installing aftermarket cooler?
no one can answer that one,

thanks again

DLO01
25-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Yeh, no need to touch the stock arrangement. Don't know why people would say otherwise. :confused: Just put your cooler gear on and your on your way.....

It is simply where water is passed through the oil filter mount.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00930.jpg

Perry
25-06-2007, 11:17 PM
hey man,
Did u keep you factory ITR oil cooler/exchanger when installing aftermarket cooler?
no one can answer that one,

thanks again

i kept my factory one on aswell Blitz

fatboyz39
26-06-2007, 09:48 AM
i don't see why honda's need a oil cooler, since they already got that water to oil cooler crap.

What temps are u getting at the track blitz?

BlitZ
26-06-2007, 11:05 AM
i don't see why honda's need a oil cooler, since they already got that water to oil cooler crap.

What temps are u getting at the track blitz?

Im waiting on noobs to sell me a gauage. ehehehe;)
i am semi reluctant to install one. But from those who i have spoke to with ITRs their temp reads over 120 at wakie after about 2 laps with the std oil cooler. Which is quiet high.. have yet to see it myself though..

the cooler is almost a must for the ek4's and later model dc2's as they see over liek 120 on highways at high revs heheh

fatboyz39
26-06-2007, 11:17 AM
120 degree's is ok tho. First get a temp gauge and see how you go.

Limbo
26-06-2007, 11:19 AM
mine is also on a T piece with 3 connectors at where the factory oil pressure sensor is.

I've put pressure, temp & factory sensor off that block.
only running a small cooler but i've seen my oil temp get to over 90degree just sitting in a carpark waiting for parking. Driving max i've hit so far is 100degree but haven't tracked it yet.

BlitZ
26-06-2007, 11:59 AM
120 degree's is ok tho. First get a temp gauge and see how you go.

yeah, its at its very limits before oil aint oils... ehehe

hoping to atleast get oil temp guage.. but i want it read from sump and CBF welding a bang in there

fatboyz39
27-06-2007, 08:32 AM
lol ....just tap it from the oil pressure switch.

120 degree still safe. Just remeber to use good motor oil.

SuperDave
27-06-2007, 08:51 AM
My engine isn't a Honda one (2zz), but it is pretty much the same as the b18. If you street a car don't bother with an oil cooler, but if you track often you will need one. I also have one of those oil-water coolers, they do nothing at the track. With my 19 row Earl's and the stock oil-water cooler I see 110*C at QR. I asked many oil companies what temp range their oil works at best, but only Motul gave an meaningful answer. That was 80-120*C.

I measure my temps before the cooler, but I have three sensor holes and need to get around to buying a temp sensor to go into the third hole to see what difference it makes to the readings.

e240
27-06-2007, 09:12 AM
lol ....just tap it from the oil pressure switch.

120 degree still safe. Just remeber to use good motor oil.

You shouldn't just tap it from the oil pressure switch because the oil there is almost static (Inaccurate reading), you'd either want the oil constantly flowing or where its exposed to a larger volume.