PDA

View Full Version : help with mods for 88 ed civic

cross
25-06-2007, 06:45 PM
i have just bought a 88 ed civic just wondering what mods i can do to improve my preformance i already have the exhaust done and i hear the carbies that are on it are the japanese version of the webber any info will help

SlobberGoat
26-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Which civic do you have? ED3 sedan? ED6 hatchy?
Engine's a carb'ed D15B4 right?

Also, define what you mean by 'improve performance'?

For me, it's handling so I would take the suspension route first and then engine work later..

Centurius
26-06-2007, 12:24 PM
as far as engine mods go, you'll be pretty limited when trying to source anything more than a CAI or exhaust, have you considered a swap? a D16a8 from the CRX would bolt straight in for a decent boost in power. but it probably won't keep you satisfied for too long if you're looking for a fast car.

as far as suspension, a decent set of shocks & springs (koni yellows etc.) or a basic set of coilovers if you don't mind rattling your teeth out, will make the car a lot more fun. throw at least a rear swaybar (possibly front if the car starts to snap oversteer) in there aswell, one of the cheapest most effective sussy mods, IMO.

Kawasaki
26-06-2007, 03:19 PM
its a carby a cai would do nothing. If u want to increase power you would be better off with an engine swap. 88 civic's also use a different rear lower control arm to 89-91 models so keep that in mind if buying shocks or coilovers as most stuff is made for 89-91 not 88.

cross
26-06-2007, 05:30 PM
i have the hatchy 2 door whats imo

cross
26-06-2007, 05:33 PM
i much for the d16a8 i haerd the b16a would fit to

Jord
26-06-2007, 05:44 PM
there are a few threads on carbi mods on here for the d15b4 motor. A engine conversion is going to cost u and arm and a leg.. or at least 3000+... heres a link to the carb mods :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13069&highlight=carbs

GL with it mate.. i never got round to doin it when i used to own my ED!

lam.666
29-06-2007, 12:09 PM
cheapest would be fitting in a d series sohc vtec they can be found quite cheaply on here, upgrade fuel accessories - tank lines pump, and do suspension work

if ur swapping in a b16a, i think you have to get mounts for it

Leprechaun
29-06-2007, 12:11 PM
i had a Jap D15B sohc vtec in mine.. and it was the best... miss it haarrd.. i'd serzly consider the doing a conversion, pain in the arse tho, but should be well worth it

cristian
29-06-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah, i got the same car dude but mines a '90...dual carb...
i bought these pod filters for a motor bike that will be fitted soon, as far as 'performance' goes, other things i got was exhaust and some ignition stuff...but yeah...the d15b4's are pretty limited man...

changing to efi will also be need a bit of work...i think u need a new fuel tank and harness...ecu...it might be more worth it saving the money now and buying a crx or something...or atleast the efi version of the 4th gen civics...

suspension wise, u can fit whatever suits your control arms...its been a bitch looking for suspension bits for our car so investing in some eg lca's and forks might not be a bad idea...

SeverAMV
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah, i got the same car dude but mines a '90...dual carb...
i bought these pod filters for a motor bike that will be fitted soon, as far as 'performance' goes, other things i got was exhaust and some ignition stuff...but yeah...the d15b4's are pretty limited man...

changing to efi will also be need a bit of work...i think u need a new fuel tank and harness...ecu...it might be more worth it saving the money now and buying a crx or something...or atleast the efi version of the 4th gen civics...

suspension wise, u can fit whatever suits your control arms...its been a bitch looking for suspension bits for our car so investing in some eg lca's and forks might not be a bad idea...
umm, if you fit a pod filter at the front, wouldnt that cause a drop in power because of the carby filter at the rear, meaning you'll be double filtering?
also, if you're willing to buy off ebay, there are a set of TEIN springs for 88-91 for an ef civic for sale. not sure if they'll fit on an ed, but they should because its a similar chassis, right?
oh and theres a pretty high chance they're not genuine TEIN springs as the guy won't show you additional pictures.

Kawasaki
05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
umm, if you fit a pod filter at the front, wouldnt that cause a drop in power because of the carby filter at the rear, meaning you'll be double filtering?
also, if you're willing to buy off ebay, there are a set of TEIN springs for 88-91 for an ef civic for sale. not sure if they'll fit on an ed, but they should because its a similar chassis, right?
oh and theres a pretty high chance they're not genuine TEIN springs as the guy won't show you additional pictures.

The filters would be slip on ones that go straight on the carbies not a pod filter thus removing the standard filter and box etc

SeverAMV
05-07-2007, 11:41 AM
The filters would be slip on ones that go straight on the carbies not a pod filter thus removing the standard filter and box etc

ahh, i might try that out one day, but for now, im looking for suspension mods for mine. i've planned out springs, front and rear strut tower braces and tie bars, and trying to find a place that can get me koni dampers and some swaybars, anyone know of/recommend any places?
before that, im gonna have to swap the brake fluid, and maybe import some endless SS-Y pads (temp rating aint too high, but rear brakes are drums anyway, and the car weighs 830kg, not gonna get that hot).

serpo
05-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I saw a nice D16 swap with extractor intake upgrade and a nice lil base tune

YaMiKaZe
09-07-2007, 10:32 PM
i bought these pod filters for a motor bike that will be fitted soon,
where'd u buy the filters from???

xtc_romeo
09-07-2007, 10:39 PM
i had a Jap D15B sohc vtec in mine.. and it was the best... miss it haarrd.. i'd serzly consider the doing a conversion, pain in the arse tho, but should be well worth it

d15B sohc sounds good. or d16y8. cost ya under 500 for one of those motors i recommend u just get that.

cristian
10-07-2007, 12:53 AM
where'd u buy the filters from???

action motorbikes in parramatta...

they're motor bike filters

SeverAMV
10-07-2007, 04:50 AM
if you're unsure of what to look for when looking for a motorbike filter, look it up on ebay for a rough picture.

YaMiKaZe
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
no worries..cheers

lam.666
11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
http://kandn.com/ and do a search through their filter search to come up with a match

they provide detailed pics with dimensions and part #'s

Rivic
11-07-2007, 10:00 PM
when i was doing mine on ma ed i went to auto barn brought 2 flat like mushroom shapped pod filters and did it that way, just a matter of finding the right filter with the right end to fit to the end of your carbies..

cristian
11-07-2007, 10:18 PM
just dont get oil based filters coz it'll go in the lining of the carbs

jazcivic
12-07-2007, 01:54 AM
just dont get oil based filters coz it'll go in the lining of the carbs

Hi cristian. Please elaborate re oil going into the 'lining of the carbs'.

SeverAMV
12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
jazcivic, not sure whereabouts you live in adelaide, but if you look at the motors section at 'woodville auto wreckers' on eastern parade, they have a d15b412 dual carb model motor with the motorbike filters in the carbs if you wanna see what it looks like. but it might be a bit far just to see what the setup with the filters look like depending on where you live. its pretty much in my backyard area, right next to the highway heh

oh and as far as i know, you dont want to mix oil with petrol on the offchance that oil enters your combustion chamber. some oils burn faster, some burn slower, which can cause detonation within the motor if it gets into the system (you dont want the fuel to burn on the intake/compression stroke, and you dont want it blowing up in your exhaust either). or something like that. my civic's head was blown a while ago and was leaking oil into the combustion chamber for some reason. bloody annoying because it kept burning all my oil, and the only good thing was that it looked like it was doing massive burnouts without wasting the tires.

cristian
12-07-2007, 09:58 AM
^^^ i havent seen the results of filter oil going into the chamber or hear about what happens...i've just been told not to...

i used 2 have an rx7 with a unifilter air filter, it was oil based and when i replaced the filter there was some of the oil on the opening of the piping...and since the filters on the dual carb will be very close to the carb itself i'd hate to find out what would happen if it went into my carbs...

jazcivic
13-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks severAMV & cristian for your info.
Certainly worth being aware of possible problems
with oil entering the combustion chamber via the carb.
It's the first time I hear of this. But the oil quantity
through the carby would be small as compared to leaky
valve stem seals or faulty piston rings.
Hmm..

SeverAMV
13-07-2007, 08:06 AM
wow... you just identified both of the problems that came with my ED civic when i bought it, lol
good thing its fixed now, hopefully the motor will last another 150000km