PDA

View Full Version : mtec extended wattage globes too hot?

civic88
25-06-2007, 08:25 PM
i heard that some people say that the mtec extended wattage globes produce to much heat and melt the cables of the car, but has this ever really happened to anyone?

CRXer
25-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Im using them & they do produce a fair bit of heat,but after 3 months of use it doesnt seem to be doing any damage to the plugs or wires.

kid_dynamite
25-06-2007, 09:49 PM
yeah it can happen. higher-rated-wattage-than-stock bulbs requires more power transmitted than the stock wiring can handle (too much power = heat) and can melt wires / relays. If this happens (or before it happens), a workaround is the upgrade the wiring (i.e. thicker) to the headlights.

Bludger
27-06-2007, 05:12 PM
bad idea imo

civic88
01-07-2007, 11:48 PM
i knoe the facts states that extended wattage obviously produces more heat, thats logical, but has it proven to melt anyones wire?

aaronng
01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
i knoe the facts states that extended wattage obviously produces more heat, thats logical, but has it proven to melt anyones wire?

It doesn't melt the wire. It melts the insulation around the wire, then the red and black wires cross each other and you get a short. That short produces a lot of heat, which then melts the wire. :)