PDA

View Full Version : crunching gears

Dy_
25-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Its happened a couple of times..when i put it into R sometimes it doesnt click in and the result is i hear my gears crunching *very painful sound*.

I was just wondering what sorta damage im doing to the car everytime the gears crunch?!

Zilli
25-06-2007, 10:15 PM
reverse is common to crunch because it doesnt have a synchro...

try and be completely stationary, clutch fully in before you try to go for reverse... some people shift into 4th bfore trying reverse to stop the gears from spinning

SHIFTY
25-06-2007, 10:18 PM
i always put it in 4th before putting it in to reverse.. sometimes it doesnt even wona select :(

also i make as much use as possible of cars behind me or mirrors or someting 2 see that white reverse light on... or just listen 2 it click in 2 gear...

hope info has helped

also it will no destroy ur gearbox as all te particles of metal that are crunched get collected up by magnets... reguler g/b oil changes are oil good if u are a cruncher :P

cheers dave

Red_EG4
25-06-2007, 10:28 PM
It may be hard to get into reverse as there is a lockout on the gears to prevent any "accidents" with regards to reverse, such as 5th to reverse. :eek:
Just make sure you stop completely and hold the clutch in for a few seconds before shifting into reverse, to give the gears a chance to stop.
I have found, as Zilli suggested, that changing into 4th before changing into reverse does make it smoother.

rawr
25-06-2007, 10:52 PM
umm my 1st isnt going in properly anymore.. same as 2nd and 3rd sumtimes.. wat could the cause of this be?
oh and my reverse is fkd too

Dy_
25-06-2007, 11:30 PM
thanks everyone.

anyone know what the gearbox treatment thing from nulon does? is it worth getting?

Limbo
26-06-2007, 12:16 PM
thanks everyone.

anyone know what the gearbox treatment thing from nulon does? is it worth getting?

Mate i'd just do a normal oil change with OEM honda oil first. I know some people who keep having problems use some of the Redline series. I'd only do this is after the oil it keep happening. How long has it been since you've change your Gbox oil anyway?

I've also found that mine is hard to get in R due to the short shifter. I find that if i can get in the first time i put it back to neutral, step on the clutch fully once or twice and then step on the clutch fully and try to put it in. Seems to work for me.

Dy_
26-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Mate i'd just do a normal oil change with OEM honda oil first. I know some people who keep having problems use some of the Redline series. I'd only do this is after the oil it keep happening. How long has it been since you've change your Gbox oil anyway?

I've also found that mine is hard to get in R due to the short shifter. I find that if i can get in the first time i put it back to neutral, step on the clutch fully once or twice and then step on the clutch fully and try to put it in. Seems to work for me.

Yeah i just changed it like less than 1000kms ago.
It doesnt happen often cause im careful to make sure it goes into gear now. I was just wondering what sorta damange im doing.

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 12:32 PM
its cause it don't have a synchro.

just put it in third and then pull your clutch out a bit to get the gear box movin.

Then try and put it in reverse and you'll get it in.

Simmo2302
27-06-2007, 06:10 AM
I find that if i can get in the first time i put it back to neutral, step on the clutch fully once or twice and then step on the clutch fully and try to put it in. Seems to work for me.

yea same if i cant get it into rev, i put it back to Neutral, take foot off tthen back fully on the clutch, it usually goes into rev then.

Ph@t-G
27-06-2007, 12:50 PM
I find that putting it into fourth works for me. What I mean is once the car has stopped, I shift into 4th with clutch still in and then to reverse. By doing this I find the shift to be a lot smoother and barely any crunching at all.

Dylanamus
27-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Regarding gears WITH synchros, if it crunches when you upshift, but doesn't when you rev-match and downshift, then those respective synchros are worn.

gheybo
27-06-2007, 04:36 PM
For me i come to a complete stationary stop and if i can't get into R then i would put it back to gear one then try going back to R. This works more me, it becomes more smoother when i do this

Bludger
27-06-2007, 04:47 PM
i have problems going into reverse when cold,
2nd, 1st, then reverse is smooth

hybn8
27-06-2007, 04:56 PM
always go to 2nd, 4th gear before reverse due to reverse has no synchro. Have you ever had a crash in your car which made the shift linkage or gb move out of place?? thats what happened in my car. It wasnt lined up properly..

Dy_
28-06-2007, 12:09 AM
niice thanks for all the input everyone. i pop it into 4th before i reverse now.

misteR_bilzz
28-06-2007, 12:11 AM
umm my 1st isnt going in properly anymore.. same as 2nd and 3rd sumtimes.. wat could the cause of this be?
oh and my reverse is fkd too

its time to get a new car. =P

simonnowis
28-06-2007, 09:09 AM
hey, isnt skipping gears bad for the gear box though? i read on a forum where a guy wrecked his box but skipping from 1st to 3rd.

Ph@t-G
28-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Not sure how feasible is to skip from 1st to 3rd, but sometimes when I downshift to a corner when I know I'll need to shift twice, I just rev match to the gear that I put it in e.g. 4th -> 2nd.

Limbo
28-06-2007, 02:27 PM
btw.. in question to crunching, it does wear at the gear, but so long as you don't do it too much you should be ok. Rem the build the boxes to last at least 200,000km and i'm sure they factored into their build people crunching

aaronng
28-06-2007, 02:56 PM
hey, isnt skipping gears bad for the gear box though? i read on a forum where a guy wrecked his box but skipping from 1st to 3rd.

Yes, it wears the 3rd gear synchros. To avoid wear, double clutch before shifting into 3rd.