PDA

View Full Version : EG Civic Stock Headlight Replacement

leeepa
26-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Hey guys, time for my first post/thread. :)

I've been looking at upgrading the stock headlights in my '92 civic for some time now, as I find the light output is quite low for my standards, yet probably normal for a 15 year old car.

I replaced the globes with Narva +50's and although they improved the output slightly, it's still nothing at all close to what I feel comfortable with.

When driving my folks '01 Corolla and '06 Commodore my headlights look obviously terrible in comparison, as you would expect from a much older car.

I've read many a thread on ozhonda and other forums regarding projector/HID light replacements and I am pretty keen to hear opinions on what you guys think would be a wise choice. I am unsure to the whole legality of installing an aftermarket system in my car, and I am also not after lights that blind other drivers; ie cheap ebay DIY kits.

Below are something I am interested in:

http://www.motorware.com.au/www/images/products/215.jpg
HONDA CIVIC 92-95 4 DOOR - Price: $380 (AUD)
Description: ANGEL EYE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT : JDM With Corner Lamp TYPE 2

Would anything else be required...wiring, globes, kits etc?

Cheers.

EG30
26-06-2007, 03:35 AM
check out the one http://www.ozeparts.com.au/ sells.

has projector lens built in yet retains the oem look thus a lot less ricey. $345.40 for the pair.

leeepa
26-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah that's not bad at all.

If I was to get the ones you mentioned or the ones I listed above, would they simply be plug and play in my exisiting stock setup, or would I need other parts?

micky_d01
26-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I have similar to the ones that you were origionally looking at. These are the headlights I have -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93-94-95-HONDA-CIVIC-4DR-J-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ01 7QQitemZ270135362826QQrdZ1

if that doesnt work search the item number "270135362826" on ebay.

These are great lights!! the halo's are bright at night (can't see at all at day) and the projector lens has a strong tinge of blue, purple, even yellow and red depending on what angle you look at them (like on new cars). P.S. this colour is LEGAL, but I've heard of defect notices for driving with only Halo's and no lights.

Really easy to install (only have to take off your front bumper which is easy - 4 screws on top, 3 underneath, and 1 in each side wheel arch). Then bolt the lights straight in and cut and connect the wires over. Seriously a 10y.o. noob could do it.

The only problem is the kit comes with all bulbs except for the indicator. Which makes it easier because you only have to screw it out of the old and into the new, but you'll have to buy an orange bulb to keep it legal because the stock lights use an amber cover and a clear (white) bulb. ;)

leeepa
26-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Ahh great, thanks for the info!

Getting really interested in those headlights particular...you wouldn't have a photo of them fitted on your car would you? :P

Another thing. Do these lights have a decent cutoff? I just don't want to annoy people and attract attention from cops by driving around with a big blue blinding dazzle...or is that only from the cheap $50 dollar tinted blue bulbs?

I have taken out the headlights for my car previously anyways, so it sounds like an easy job. :D

Fo55il
26-06-2007, 08:42 PM
bro- honestly - u be better off goin fora HId kit - way better - but unless u wanna change d look get the projectors - but be aware some dont let u have hid's just in case in the future u wanna change -

+ if u get projector wid angel eyes - VERY high possibility the halo will die ( talkin from experience)

u can get cheap ones from ebay - personally id recommend go to a performance shop n ask them fora good brand - the brand "sonar" is pretty cheap and affordable but the halo dies -

Hope dat healps

bennjamin
26-06-2007, 09:58 PM
IMO just keep the stock headlights , and get a H4 HID kit. probably $200 or so if that. Will work fine and look good - and if you keep the kelvin rating lowish it will not distract too many drivers in head on traffic

leeepa
26-06-2007, 11:31 PM
if u get projector wid angel eyes - VERY high possibility the halo will die ( talkin from experience)

Yeah read alot about the halo's dying, and tbh it doesn't really concern me. Just out of interest though, how much better are HID's to projectors?

bennjamin
26-06-2007, 11:39 PM
HID is a globe type.
Projector is a housing/lens type. (which the GLOBE sits in)

I guess you mean , what is better ? HID in stock housing , or stock bulb in projector , OR HID in projector housing ?

The answer is HID in projector ( aftermarket housing) IMO.

leeepa
27-06-2007, 12:08 AM
The answer is HID in projector ( aftermarket housing) IMO.

Ahh nice. Well I'll make sure the projector lights I get can support HID's and if need be later on, I'll make the upgrade :)

How much would a decent HID kit set you back? I've seen the usual for the $300 mark. Are these considered "cheap crap" or are they allright?

bennjamin
27-06-2007, 07:34 AM
ive seen em go on ebay for about $100. You can get em on special from places like autobahn etc for about $200 as long as it comes with warranty it should be ok

micky_d01
27-06-2007, 10:05 AM
My halo's are still good, I can't see how they could die since all they are is an LED (which dont die) and fibre optic material. Maybe the wiring or curcuit board that the LED's are on? The light from the projectors shine up to horizontal with your lights (so the light stops on the rear bumper of a car in front of you). The light is white with a nice blueish tinge only around the edge of the light beam (so when you hit a bump in the road and the light cutoff point raises, then ppl can see the colours, not while driving normally - It gets the attention when it happens though). Like I said, the blue bulbs are illegal and the cops are really tight on it but on the projector, it's white light with blue where it doesnt matter (around the edges) - legal.