PDA

View Full Version : Euro + subs need equalizer or line out converter?

cutchorama
26-06-2007, 09:04 AM
My current audio installation man is telling me what he is going to install into my car:

2x 12" Alpine Type R subs
800WRMS Jaycar mono amp
1.0 Jaycar capacitor

For this install, he is saying that an equalizer is needed but then again, some other people are telling me I can just use line out converters. help!

I might use an amp for my component speakers as well because stock they seem pretty good. the difference between using lineout converters ($80 or so) and an equalizer ($300 minimum) is quite a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

solitz
26-06-2007, 04:03 PM
do u have a aftermarekt headunit?...if you dont then you will need to use a lineout converter..this means that u can use ur current honda unit to give u the sound from ur sub and amp.

not too sure about the equaliser but.

lilwilliam
15-07-2007, 12:46 PM
how does this line out converter work?

arverson
15-07-2007, 02:54 PM
how does this line out converter work?

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=12

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

basically a LOC converts the stock headunit speaker wires to RCAs so u can connect amp/s to it.

For this install, he is saying that an equalizer is needed but then again, some other people are telling me I can just use line out converters. help!

an equalizer and a LOC are 2 completely different things....

ull need a LOC if u want to keep using the stock HU. as said, if uve got an aftermarket HU then dw bout it.

about the EQ, install your system first and see how it sounds. if you like how it sounds then no need for an EQ. if u RTA ur system and there are obvious peaks&dips in ur frequency range then get a EQ to 'flatten' them out. keep in mind that using a EQ to 'flatten' things and using a EQ to 'liven' things are 2 different things..

are u looking for a graphic or parametric equaliser?? do you have the time&knowledge to use&tune a, say an outboard 31 band equaliser or a 5-7 band parametric equaliser?? or is your installer suggesting you to get something as simple as a 3 band graphic EQ(i dont think there are any outboard 3 band graphic EQ's anyway)??

cutchorama
15-07-2007, 08:54 PM
The actual sound quality from the speakers is great but I have found that despite the volume of the music, there is always a constant hissing sound from my speakers. Not sure about what type of EQ has been recommended. All they said is that I would need an audioguys LC6 EQ. If I turn up my music then the hiss is drowned out by loud noises. You can hear the hiss in quiet parts of the song though.

I also noticed sometimes when I have the accelerator pushed down slightly, the hiss stops in my splits and gets a little louder in my 6x9s.

My limited audio knowledge assumed this meant they ran my RCA cables and power cables (for my capacitor) through my firewall where my transmission is, causing interference from my manual transmission. Does this sound likely?

And yes I use my factory head unit.

arverson
16-07-2007, 12:35 AM
And yes I use my factory head unit.

wat LOC are u using?? cus it could be a low quality one.. or its simply installed in an area of high electrical interference

if its just hiss, and not engine whine, then its probably normal for the gear you have. the hiss is the noisefloor (the background noise thats created by your gear and this usually means low quality gear).

speakers obviously dont produce the hiss, they just reproduce it.. which means its coming from either the jaycar amp and/or stock HU - which IMO are your weak links.

if its from the amp then turning down the gain mite help, but ull lose maximum volume. that mite not matter if its alredy loud enough without having to have the dial up near full - which will be most of the time anyway.

are your speakers amped?? if theyre not then id say its the HU or LOC. if they are, wat amp?? and could u try with another amp in its place??

if the hissing isnt caused by a poor quality amp, HU and/or LOC then id say its:

1. RCAs routed near area of high noise
2. amp/s still poorly grounded
3. passive xovers (if your stock splits use them) installed near area of high noise

im 80% sure its an installation problem & 20% sure its low quality gear. itll be either one anyway.

without checking or hearing your system in person, its hard to advise any further.. other than buy higher quality gear or get ur system installation rechecked by the ppl who did it or by someone else.

Atjo
16-07-2007, 10:35 AM
You have 2x Typre-R subs but why using Jaycar amp? Better spend on better amp like Alpine V12 amps. I have a complete Alpine system on my euro.

cutchorama
16-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks heaps for your help. I will try turning down the gain and seeing if it effects the noise. If it doesn't help I think I will take it back to the shop and see if they can have a look at it. I will show them this post in the hope that it can help solve it.

I just wish you were in brisbane to help me! heh.

cutchorama
18-07-2007, 01:33 PM
wat LOC are u using?? cus it could be a low quality one.. or its simply installed in an area of high electrical interference

They told me Aerpro LOCs were used. Any distinctive sounds or tests i could do to find out what the problem most likely is? When the accessories is on and the engine is not running, there is no hiss at all. Hiss comes through all modes including radio. Hopefully I can get this fixed soon.