PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cut Off Switch

beeza
26-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I have searched but can't find answers...
I want to install one of these.I can solder etc.
I know I will be cutting the power wire to the fuel pump under the rear seat and connecting a switch to it.But I read if you run the wire longer than 5 feet (which is what I will be doing) you need to run a relay.
I rang and asked Jaycar.After I got off the phone I was like geez I better take it to an Auto-electrican cause it sounds tricky.
So my question is,is it? Or is it a sinch.If so what do I need to do plz.
Thanks Guys,Brett.

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Have a search on the forum. theres plenty of discussion about it.

Generally you need to use a relay/ :thumbsup:

beeza
26-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I Just found this,ouch:

"Finally, if your car has an electric fuel pump, the immobiliser can disable this. However, note that both EFI and carby cars will still start and run for a short period even with the fuel pump stopped. This might be just enough time for the thief to drive to the middle of the nearest major road intersection before the car dies!"

That's not good...

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 11:53 AM
its not bad.

It means that they'll only be able to drive a block before the car dies.

Either that or get a battery isolation switch. Might have to work around your alarm system tho so you can still lock/unlock the car without any dramas.

beeza
26-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Found a good how to do link,but the above is a worry...

http://www.hondaworkshop.com/misc/crx_kill_switch/

destrukshn
26-06-2007, 12:00 PM
literally it will run for like 3 secs, not even enough to really get out of the parking space. lol.
that's being serious i know.
=)

BlitZ
26-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I Just found this,ouch:

"Finally, if your car has an electric fuel pump, the immobiliser can disable this. However, note that both EFI and carby cars will still start and run for a short period even with the fuel pump stopped. This might be just enough time for the thief to drive to the middle of the nearest major road intersection before the car dies!"

That's not good...

abosolutly BS... it would run no longer than 2sec... lucky to even get it into gear

beeza
26-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Either that or get a battery isolation switch. Might have to work around your alarm system tho so you can still lock/unlock the car without any dramas.

So would this mean once wired up right it would basically turn the battery on and off.So when turned off the car wont start.

I know this has been covered so much but I just cant find the best and simplest switch/thing to do to secure my car :confused:

beeza
26-06-2007, 12:06 PM
literally it will run for like 3 secs, not even enough to really get out of the parking space. lol.
that's being serious i know.
=)

THANK YOU :thumbsup:

abosolutly BS... it would run no longer than 2sec... lucky to even get it into gear

THANK YOU :thumbsup:

Looks like we have a winner!!!! :D

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 12:08 PM
So would this mean once wired up right it would basically turn the battery on and off.So when turned off the car wont start.

I know this has been covered so much but I just cant find the best and simplest switch/thing to do to secure my car :confused:

pretty much.

Theres a fair few ways to do it but this is how they do it for races when you have a crash.

destrukshn
26-06-2007, 12:08 PM
what you can also do, is do a switch to the starter motor wire.
or do both.
just to really get them going.
lol.

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 12:11 PM
what you can also do, is do a switch to the starter motor wire.
or do both.
just to really get them going.
lol.

This is what i had on my old car. The previous owner put it in. Not sure what gear he used tho. I was gonna do this on my GF's car but wasn't sure on what you'd need to use cause there'd be alot of current going through that line on startup.

Any info would be great. :thumbsup:

destrukshn
26-06-2007, 12:15 PM
line of start up?
not really a massive amount, because it's only the signal wire to get it cranking, if you look on the wire that goes to actual starter motor, it's quite thin.

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 12:19 PM
ok so its not the big beefy one that goes directly from the battery??

That makes life easy then.

destrukshn
26-06-2007, 12:20 PM
nah.
lol.
well you could really do that one if you wanted to.
but most people jsut do it from the ignition harness side.
which, when you do, make sure it's not obvious where it's cut and shut.
lol.

beeza
26-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Guys.Gold Info.

This was taken from the article from the above link:
WHAT ABOUT A RELAY?
This how-to is the simplest way to do it. You can also use a relay, which is like a switched-switch. A relay has 4 leads. By using a relay, a tiny, low-amperage switch can be used activate the fuel pump power lines safely. The relay acts as the messenger between the tiny switch and the fuel pump power feed.

So that's saying,if you want to use a small switch then you need a relay otherwise if you use a bigger switch that can take the amperrage you don't need one,right?

destrukshn
26-06-2007, 12:41 PM
yes use a relay, well i'd use one.
lol.

beeza
26-06-2007, 01:25 PM
^^ Thanks mate :thumbsup: