PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Magazine - DC5R not 'real' Type R?

cheek
27-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I was reading Wheels the other day, i think it was the editorial at the front about the new Civic Type R and there was a brief history to the Type R designation in Australia.

The editorial mentioned that the DC2R was a 'real' type R but the DC5R wasn't - can anybody shed some light on this statement?

I know Wheels and Motor etc are pretty poor in fact checking and could have got this completely wrong, but i thought i'd check anyway.

Cheers

jeffske
27-06-2007, 12:35 PM
they're probably comparing "realness" with "rawness"
the dc2r is a driver's car whereas the dc5r had comfort in mind when it was built for audm market

Chi
27-06-2007, 12:41 PM
AUDM DC5R is a massive water downed version of the JDM, so that was a bigger factor as well.

The AUDM DC2R was closely related to the JDM DC2R in terms of handling and "rawness"

The AUDM DC5R was a 15 or so KWs less than the JDM, we missed out on Brembos, other bits and pieces too like Alloy control arms and bigger headers and zorst, 17" wheels and revvier engine.

So all these factors would of been the conclusion for these mags

Ohh and DC2R had double wish bone sussy compared to the Macpherson set up teh DC5R had.

cheek
27-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I guess that's what it is.

The way I read it, the editorial gave me the impression that the DC5Rs were some sort of a local designation- i.e. a base model with recaros and a rear wing "R", locally rebadged as a Type R.

Surely bigger headers and tasty Brembos wouldn't have cost the earth on these AUDM cars?

Has there ever been any resolution as to why the DC5R was 'watered down"? Too expensive? Didn't pass emissions? Honda Japan wouldn't build them for our puny market?

EL_DC5
27-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Nah it Honda Australia that wanted to make money off the ITR hype. Bastards, Imagine me driving a JDM ITR facelift version instead of My ITS

TeMp
27-06-2007, 04:42 PM
This is nothing new. Japanese car companies have done this for yonks.

Even the audm dc2r was a watered down ver of the jdm one. Another example is the s15.

Its just the attitude the Japanese Car makers take about keeping the best things for themselfs.

e240
27-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Its just the attitude the Japanese Car makers take about keeping the best things for themselfs.

No its not. In other countries like Singapore/HK, you get what the Japanese get.

Its the local importers, who, afraid of diluting the sales of the other models that decide what to bring in and what not to bring in. You realise the market is small and so to have the price remain competitive, they bring in selected models for economies of scale.

For the DC5R, I think in this case, the real DC5R can't run on AU fuel - poor(er) quality, but Honda AU wanted to capitalise on "Type R" so they just took a Type S, slapped on some "cool" parts and called it a Type R.

cheek
27-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda AU wanted to capitalise on "Type R" so they just took a Type S, slapped on some "cool" parts and called it a Type R.

That's what I was getting at.

My current car is an import, and the level of equipment and finish is phenominal, so I was a little skeptical about rushing out and buying a DC5R if it was some "Aussie Only" special which wouldn't stack up to the original.

aaronng
27-06-2007, 05:58 PM
It's because for the DC2R, JDM had 147kW while AUDM had 141kW. The brakes, interior and everything else was the same. So all we lost was 6kW. The DC5R on the other hand, JDM had 162kW while the AUDM had 147kW. We also didn't get the brembos and the other things. So the difference between the JDM and AUDM for the DC5R is much greater than it was with the DC2R. That's why they say that the AUDM DC5R is not as real a Type R as the JDM.

BTW, did you know that the new JDM CTR doesn't have a momo steering wheel nor recaro seats? :)

dreamshifter
27-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Another example is the s15.

They went over the top with the S15. 184kw down to 147kw, 0-100 in 5.5secs down to 7...slower than an ITR. Easily fixed with mods of course.

mugsee
28-06-2007, 12:34 AM
BTW, did you know that the new JDM CTR doesn't have a momo steering wheel nor recaro seats? :)

Is it manufacturered by Honda inhouse? I have a feeling this is what Airbox23 told me. How is the quality? Any different from what you would expect from momo/recaro?

There are a couple of JDM DC5Rs running around on Australian pump fuel so I really don't think fuel can be used as a substantial arguement for not bringing in the JDM spec DC5R. I think the original intention for watering down the JDM DC5R was based on saving costs, as Honda didn't think the car would sell well as a 55k+ car - out of touch with the WRX/S15. Because of this, true enthusiasts get shafted.

aaronng
28-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Is it manufacturered by Honda inhouse? I have a feeling this is what Airbox23 told me. How is the quality? Any different from what you would expect from momo/recaro?

There are a couple of JDM DC5Rs running around on Australian pump fuel so I really don't think fuel can be used as a substantial arguement for not bringing in the JDM spec DC5R. I think the original intention for watering down the JDM DC5R was based on saving costs, as Honda didn't think the car would sell well as a 55k+ car - out of touch with the WRX/S15. Because of this, true enthusiasts get shafted.
The video of the JDM CTR that I saw had similar seats to the UKDM CTR. I don't put Recaro that high up in terms of sports seats. I prefer Sparco.

The problem with cars being sold in Australia is the high regional pricing. The cars don't cost 55k to bring and sell here. They just want to sell it at that price to support the high cost of everything here. Makes no sense that USA is further away from Japan than Australia, has higher income per capita, but yet are able to sell the cars at a lower price. I'm talking about cars that are sold in high volumes here, they are still cheaper there even with similar numbers.

jas_kidd32
28-06-2007, 01:58 PM
So why then most people here prefer a DC2R over the DC5R, both AUDM, if the DC5 is better on paper? I haven't driven a DC2 before so i can't compare.

aaronng
28-06-2007, 02:30 PM
So why then most people here prefer a DC2R over the DC5R, both AUDM, if the DC5 is better on paper? I haven't driven a DC2 before so i can't compare.

They are both similar in power-to-weight ratio, but handling-wise, the DC2R is one of the few FF cars that can oversteer when pushing hard. :)

T-onedc2
28-06-2007, 05:21 PM
It's because for the DC2R, JDM had 147kW while AUDM had 141kW. The brakes, interior and everything else was the same. So all we lost was 6kW
almost, brakes were equal to JDM '98 spec but the rest of our '99 model suspension was actually JDM '96 spec :)

matt
29-06-2007, 01:13 AM
They are both similar in power-to-weight ratio, but handling-wise, the DC2R is one of the few FF cars that can oversteer when pushing hard. :)

so can dc5r...