PDA

View Full Version : Civic vtir coupe (2000) and red key

Entity
12-07-2004, 01:14 AM
did the 2000 model civic vtir coupe's come with a "red key" like the DC2Rs?

Z
12-07-2004, 01:36 PM
If your talking about the 'Red master key' that you supposedly need to get a spare key cut etc, then I think all Honda's have one...

Perry
12-07-2004, 01:39 PM
you suppose to get 2 black spare key and 1 red key which is a master which you not suppose to use unless in a emergency, ii was told once you use the red master key you cant use the other black keys again

vtc
12-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah the funny think about this the first time i got my civic i thought the red was just another spare key but the car wouldnt start... i read later on that once you use it yur other keys wont work.. lucky for me though they still did... but yeah your suppose to have one.. unless the prev owner lost it casue you never ever use it

SiR
12-07-2004, 03:26 PM
wtf? there's supposed to be a red 'master' key? damn...I never got one - only two keys and I bought my car brand new.. :roll:

A'PEXi
12-07-2004, 03:53 PM
i had one with my 98 ek, i never used it though, not exactly sure what it was for....

Z
12-07-2004, 04:53 PM
As Perry said, your supposed to get 2 blacks and a red. Honda will tell you that you need the red key to get another key cut, or else youll have to replace the inbuilt immobiliser system etc etc. which isnt really true.

Trust-Me
12-07-2004, 05:05 PM
wtf? there's supposed to be a red 'master' key? damn...I never got one - only two keys and I bought my car brand new.. :roll:

same here, but i think the dealer that u bought it from has it..

Civic Type R
12-07-2004, 05:33 PM
The red master key stays in the black book supplied with the car. - often found in the glovebox :)

Civic Si
12-07-2004, 09:26 PM
I better not lose my two black keys..! :)

Cause I never got a red key when I bought my EM1 second hand. :o

SiR
12-07-2004, 10:01 PM

same here, but i think the dealer that u bought it from has it..

It's not very useful if it remains with the dealer!! :P

I just searched thru my 'car file' at home and found something that resembles a key. It's a funny looking thing - it's U-shaped with keys on each end with a ' - ' on it. It's black and I've got no bloody idea what it's used for?! This wouldn't happen to be the 'master' key, would it?! :roll:

z3lda
12-07-2004, 10:08 PM
i got 2 black and one red for my delsol. the dealer i bought it off said not to use the red key or it will kill the car, but in my brother's 98 civic coupe i always stick the red one in by mistake cuz the red and black key is on the same key ring..haha. the onli thing that happens is the engine light and eveything else goes on besides the engine itself.

ECU-MAN
12-07-2004, 11:31 PM
there are two types of Honda Factory imobilizer system
1 uses the red key system the other works the same but woth out the red key
the red key will not start the car as you guys have found out, trying to start the car with red key will not do any damage, it will not wipe the black keys from your imobiliser unit. the red key will only be used when the Honda dealer needs to add extra Black keys to your car, the red key has to be inserted once the tech is told to insert it by the PGMFI tester which is used to program new keys within 30 sec . ( they now use the HDS tablet PC thinggy ) then they insert however many black keys you may want to start the car. then the red key again to compleat the lern proccess..

system 1 had red key for that purpose only. if you loose your red key it will cost you. you have to buy a new imobilser unit which cums with an uncut red key.. the imobiliser unit and the red key are a match pair and cannot be mixed and matched, in other words the imobiliser unit is useless with out the red key. you used to have to buy the whole lock set once apon a time if you lost your red key.

system 2 does not have red key, it was 1st introduced in the 98 Accord / ledgends / oddesey. you could program the imobiliser unit in a same type of manner with out the red key. I think all 2000 cars and on have system 2 no red key.

with both systems your could loose 1 black key and have it removed from the imobiliser unit. that lost key will open the car, turn the ignition but she wont crank or start if you push started it.

I hope this clears up all your thoughts on the Honda imobiliser

Z
12-07-2004, 11:51 PM
there are two types of Honda Factory imobilizer system
1 uses the red key system the other works the same but woth out the red key
the red key will not start the car as you guys have found out, trying to start the car with red key will not do any damage, it will not wipe the black keys from your imobiliser unit. the red key will only be used when the Honda dealer needs to add extra Black keys to your car, the red key has to be inserted once the tech is told to insert it by the PGMFI tester which is used to program new keys within 30 sec . ( they now use the HDS tablet PC thinggy ) then they insert however many black keys you may want to start the car. then the red key again to compleat the lern proccess..

system 1 had red key for that purpose only. if you loose your red key it will cost you. you have to buy a new imobilser unit which cums with an uncut red key.. the imobiliser unit and the red key are a match pair and cannot be mixed and matched, in other words the imobiliser unit is useless with out the red key. you used to have to buy the whole lock set once apon a time if you lost your red key.

system 2 does not have red key, it was 1st introduced in the 98 Accord / ledgends / oddesey. you could program the imobiliser unit in a same type of manner with out the red key. I think all 2000 cars and on have system 2 no red key.

with both systems your could loose 1 black key and have it removed from the imobiliser unit. that lost key will open the car, turn the ignition but she wont crank or start if you push started it.

I hope this clears up all your thoughts on the Honda imobiliser

You can get another black key made without actually obtaining the red key. When I origionally got my car, it only came with one black key. Honda miraculously found a cheap way to get a me another black key (without using the red key) when they realised it was going to come out of their pocket (warranty) to replace the immobiliser unit etc. It cost like $90 odd (of Honda's) dollars to get a key cut at this automotive locksmiths, as apposed to $800+ to replace everything. I'll bet if i didnt have the warrenty id be forking out for a new immobiliser unit. **** Honda - Penny pinchers.

ECU-MAN
12-07-2004, 11:58 PM
thats right . what car do you have..
there are a few ways of cheating the system but im not going there. I have heard of NON Honda Dealers being able to program these things but I have never seen there methods or equipment. what I wrote above is what a dealer will say if you went there with the question. I am unaware of any feeking ways to get around the red key that a dealer would do to program your system if your lost your red key.

Z
13-07-2004, 12:26 AM
It was the Honda dealership that told me where to go and get it done.

Trust-Me
13-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Maybe this abit off the topic, but wat i got when i got my EM1 new from the dealer was 2 black keys and a very tiny rectangle plate with a no. code written on it, it was found in ur leather manual folder thingy.....isnt this wat u had to bring to honda if u need a new key??? and did anyone else get this too???

SiR
13-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Yep, I got that too mate.

ECU-MAN
14-07-2004, 12:35 AM
the metal tab is the code to get a new key cut if yo dont have a sample.

vtecinaccord
14-07-2004, 09:22 AM
I took my Genuine Honda key to the locksmiths and they made a copy there cost me $5 it works fine and has been so for about 12 months. I am guessing you guys are only talking about if you have a second key with a slightly different cut????? by the way my car is a 94 VTI Accord.

micka
14-07-2004, 10:43 AM
the rectangle with a number is so you have an untainted source forthe key image. if you use a key over, and over, and over, it starts to wear and thus an exact copy of how the original key is impossible to achieve. i didn't get the rectangle when i got my car so unfortunately i had to get a copy made with a worn key, and as a result it only opens the hatch one way up. perfect excuse for remote hatch release though:)

Trust-Me
14-07-2004, 12:40 PM
man does that mean i should ask for the red key from the dealer then??..i prob should hey..

MRJDM
14-07-2004, 05:12 PM
hey boys it you change the computer of you car due to an engine swap, cna you still start you car with you original black key

TwistedGurl
14-07-2004, 05:43 PM
OH crap! i jus got my coupe yesterday..and the guy only gave me to black keys.

ECU-MAN
14-07-2004, 07:26 PM
any Honda car made 2000 on NO RED KEY in there imobilser unit. dont stress
94 Vti Accord does not use Key imobliser ( was introduced in 96 Accords )

if you change your OBDII [acronym:3b333df683="Engine Control Unit"]ECU[/acronym:3b333df683] with Imobiliser to an OBDI ecu or other [acronym:3b333df683="Engine Control Unit"]ECU[/acronym:3b333df683], then the Imobiliser is bypassed and any key that turns the ingnition will start the car. Only if you swap OBDII ecuz then the car wont start without having the Imobiliser and [acronym:3b333df683="Engine Control Unit"]ECU[/acronym:3b333df683] programmed.

SiR
14-07-2004, 09:27 PM
OH crap! i jus got my coupe yesterday..and the guy only gave me to black keys.

Congrats on your new ride! :D

ian
15-07-2004, 12:52 PM
i bought my EM1 brand new at Rick D's and got 2 black keys but no red's.

Muckafutha
15-07-2004, 06:21 PM
the rectangle with a number is so you have an untainted source forthe key image. if you use a key over, and over, and over, it starts to wear and thus an exact copy of how the original key is impossible to achieve. i didn't get the rectangle when i got my car so unfortunately i had to get a copy made with a worn key, and as a result it only opens the hatch one way up. perfect excuse for remote hatch release though:)

hey i have the opposite problem to urs. the spare key that i have at home doesnt work well.prob cos its never been used and its edges seem too sharp. i had to sand the key down a bit before i could turn it in the ignition. so even the original key can screw u up

micka
15-07-2004, 10:37 PM
i had to sand the key down a bit before i could turn it in the ignition. so even the original key can screw u up

perfect excuse to get a remote starter;)

ek
20-07-2004, 01:00 PM

Yeh but if you go to Honda and they tell you, you do NEED the red key, tell em to piss of.

I only got one key with my 96 EK, and went to Honda to get one cut, as you do. They wanted to chuck a new immobiliser in it for around $1000 :lol:

So I went to my local locksmith who copied the key. They also kept the immobiliser info on record, so if I ever lost all keys, I'd just have to provide them with my ID and they'll make one up for me.

Thos cost approx $50 - $60.

ECU-MAN
20-07-2004, 07:22 PM

Yeh but if you go to Honda and they tell you, you do NEED the red key, tell em to piss of.

I only got one key with my 96 EK, and went to Honda to get one cut, as you do. They wanted to chuck a new immobiliser in it for around $1000 :lol:

So I went to my local locksmith who copied the key. They also kept the immobiliser info on record, so if I ever lost all keys, I'd just have to provide them with my ID and they'll make one up for me.

Thos cost approx $50 - $60.

thats awsome, Iv actually butcherd a key before and they just have an RFID tablet inside them, I guess with the technology avalible today its a simple thing to copy. RFID is the same thing they inject into your dog ( Digital Tag ) . you can buy the kits from jaycar. Im starting to want one now..

Krim
21-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Slighltly off topic.

Bought my civic sedan second hand from a dealer 3-4 months ago.

They only supplied me with one black key ? Should i have received 2 black keys ???

BlitZ
23-07-2004, 08:43 AM
yeah .. i didnt get the red key,. i was told that u dont get one brand new from the cars previopus owneer.. My old Gli ek has one thou

BlitZ
23-07-2004, 08:44 AM
i would assume u should receuve 2..

Krim
23-07-2004, 09:51 AM
I thought i should have received two as well.

What if the previous owner is dodgy and finds the car on the street and decides to go for a run ! :(

ECU-MAN
23-07-2004, 10:04 AM
I thought i should have received two as well.

What if the previous owner is dodgy and finds the car on the street and decides to go for a run ! :(

you can program out a key from the system, it will open the car and turn the ignition but the engine wont start or crank, you need the red key to be able to do this. only pre 2000 civics had a red key. post 2000 just go to the dealer and they can program it for you