PDA

View Full Version : new ctr paint protection

sitta
27-06-2007, 10:10 PM
my new ctr is coming ths friday, the delaer offered me paint protection which they said last for 2-3 years. I didnt choose this since this is a special car and i would like to do the detailing myself. Since it is a new car i dont think i need to polish it but do i need to wax it straight after i got it to give it some protection? sorry im a noob at car detailing and can anyone recomned good wax that i can get in a shop like supercheap or bigw?

roar
27-06-2007, 10:48 PM
dunno much about paint protection...never had a car thats had it b4...

yer its a good idea to wax your car when you get it...i found it made a big difference for my gf's brand new jazz (w/o paint protection)

but for good waxes from supercheap...umm meguiars nxt/gold class is good

Zilli
27-06-2007, 10:50 PM
check out the detailing forum dude

i use meguiars nxt, which is good, but its not really a long lasting sealant, im currently looking to upgrade to something better,

check out waxit.com

jamchen
28-06-2007, 12:33 AM
IMO... the paint protection package offered by car dealers have few strict restrictions.. eg. you can only wash the car with their special formulated detergents etc....
Wax... or i'd say polish-only products will do the same job.. just depends on care can you be with your car...
We used to own a black MDX.. as you know black is the color that's the hardest to maintain.. but i'd always out and ppl came to ask me is it a new car?!:P

aaronng
28-06-2007, 12:42 AM
No point paying $700-900 for paint protection from the dealers when they get it applied by detailers for under $300. So if you want it, get it done outside.

As for waxes, the best you can get from Supercheap/BigW is NXT. I prefer Meg's #21 synthetic sealant, which recently started selling in 473mL bottles like NXT. When I started using it, I had to buy it in 1.9L bottles.

Also, most of the scratching and swirling comes from washing. So learn how to wash properly by going to autopia.org and reading up. Also use a good lambswool mitt to wash your car. I use the Meg's one. If you can afford it, go for a waffleweave drying towel either from the US (exceldetail.com) or locally (waxit.com.au). If you are buying online, then you don't have to restrict yourself to NXT wax. There are a whole lot of better brands of waxes out there.

lil_miss_vtec
28-06-2007, 08:29 AM
after a car is re-sprayed how long till it will need to b waxed?

aaronng
28-06-2007, 09:18 AM
after a car is re-sprayed how long till it will need to b waxed?

You must wait 8 weeks after a respray before waxing. After the 8 weeks is over, it is good to get the car detailed to smoothen down the resprayed paint, remove swirls accumulated over those 8 weeks and then waxed.

Limbo
28-06-2007, 02:31 PM
agree with Aarong, use to own a car detailing business and the car yards were paying $200 to the guys to do the protection, where they charge like $1000 for it.

You can get it done after you get the car. I got the dad's van done with it and after 16yr the paints still good. It is a worthwhile thing to get, just not from the car yard.

sitta
28-06-2007, 07:20 PM
i couldnt find nxt wax from supercheap and big w bought the megs gold instead :( is this good enough?

aaronng
28-06-2007, 07:59 PM
i couldnt find nxt wax from supercheap and big w bought the megs gold instead :( is this good enough?
Yeah, that's fine too. The difference is that the NXT is synthetic, while the Gold Class is a blend of natural carnauba.

sitta
28-06-2007, 08:32 PM
tnx for all the advice guys really happy to have you all hahaha new car coming tommorow

Wazza
29-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Sitta,

I also enquired about paint and interior protection when negotiating the deal on my CTR, and my dealer's reply was "It is a waste of time and money for someone like yourself who details their own car, it is basically for people that arn't too concerned detailing so their car can still look satisfactory after a year of neglect"

Although I have now gone to the extreme of telling my dealer that I do not want the paintwork touched on delivery, and that I will detail the car myself. I unfortunately didn't receive a discount on the dealer delivery for this though... My best advice would be to go to www.waxit.com.au (http://www.waxit.com.au) and also join www.detailparadise.com.au (http://www.detailparadise.com.au) and then you will never visit autobarn and supercheap for detailing supplies again.

aaronng
29-06-2007, 09:06 PM
^^ That's a nice dealer, very rare.
Even when I had paint protection and washed weekly, I still couldn't get tree sap off. So paint protection didn't do anything other than provide UV protection, which other waxes and sealants do too. Since I was burnt by paint protection, that's why I tell others to either detail or get it done elsewhere other than the dealer.

kraiye
23-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, that's fine too. The difference is that the NXT is synthetic, while the Gold Class is a blend of natural carnauba.

So whats better? Synthetic or Carnauba based waxes?

aaronng
23-07-2007, 06:04 PM
So whats better? Synthetic or Carnauba based waxes?

Which is better? Auto or manual? Auto is better in traffic jams, while manuals are better when you have open road. :)

Generally, synthetics last longer than carnaubas and are shinier, but carnaubas look better because they have a deep look. I use a synthetic that looks like a carnauba (Meg's #21 synthetic sealant). I still have my old tub of P21s carnauba though. That one still looks great!