PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel noise on startup?

dudeling7
28-06-2007, 01:31 AM
hey guys

today just got my exedy clutch and fidanza light flywheel installed. but when i turn on the car the starting sound seems differet. its like louder and sounds like its comming from the flywheel area.

its only on startup and because when im driving around everything sounds perfectly normal. i havnt driven it hard so dont know what sounds it makes up in the rev range because im still breaking it in.

any ideas or experiences with startup noise with a light flywheel?

dudeling7
28-06-2007, 03:11 AM
it sounds like the starter noise but twice as loud now.

dudeling7
28-06-2007, 04:04 AM
could this be started related....

anyone with fidanza fw let me know!

dsp26
28-06-2007, 01:12 PM
could this be started related....

anyone with fidanza fw let me know!

may just need a wear in as the ring gear is fresh. i've known it to happen on cars that have had new flywheels installed... also maybe gear on the starter that engages the ring gear is worn therefore causing noise when engaging the fresher rings on the new flywheel

dsp26
28-06-2007, 01:13 PM
^^^damn sorry my sentence sounds annoying.. sounds like "Choose the cheesy cheese that cheese lovers choose when they choose the cheese cheese cheese in the triple cheese burger at mcdonalds"

dudeling7
28-06-2007, 02:52 PM
yes i think this could be the probelm man.

it was totally fine before the flywheel. hopefully it will go away soon. are there any bad effects of this or eventually will it grind so bad that it wont start?

bennjamin
28-06-2007, 10:11 PM
the noise , IS the flywheel contact to the starter motor. Its "grinding" at the flywheel teeth methinks. It is connecting to the flywheel slightly different compared to stock

dudeling7
29-06-2007, 09:52 AM
thanks for the help guys, took it back to mechanic and he said its jsut from the straighter cut teeth on the gears. but i can minimise it by timing the way i crank the car when turning it on.

cant wait to test this flywheel out! the urge to give it some is soooooo bad! haha :)